Is it 4:20 time yet?

• Thread starter Foutwenty71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

Did you grow this one under that light ?
Where did runoff go , on the tin tray ?
Sorry bout all the questions.....just looks so crazy in a good way,

Yup all under the dollar store leds. Yes runoff in to the small tin tray I then removed after watering.

More info here:

Moshmen

Moshmen

The bud shot was one I harvested 3 weeks ago... Done with the same lighting.. picture can be deceiving that plant was only 20 in tall... Anyway I'm only burning about 250 Watts and the results don't seem terrible but nothing like growing outside just what I've always done in the past. Has anybody else used the GT light they sell in the home improvement stores?
Lots of great lighting knowledge here in the farm! For sure,

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I just used 2 lightbulbs to prove to someone that u dont need a fancy light to grow a small auto, however i think you would be better off burying a real light, while its perfectly possible to grow plants like that you are not getting the full potential of your grow.

BigCube

BigCube

I just used 2 lightbulbs to prove to someone that u dont need a fancy light to grow a small auto, however i think you would be better off burying a real light, while its perfectly possible to grow plants like that you are not getting the full potential of your grow.

Depending on your setup. Light is light, the plant doesnt care where it comes from, as long as its light it can use.

In the setup I ran, 1.5x1.5x3 105w of 2700k led was a perfect combination.
What do you mean by "real light"?

The plant would do the same under 105w of 2700k quantum board. Or a sf1000 or any other 100 ish watt led fixture around the same spectrum.

A "real light" is subjective. Since the only real difference between using 7 led bulbs and a grow light fixture of the same wattage and temperature, is what the fixture looks like. The plant doesnt care 🤣

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey bigcube ,
Cool , when we first started growing around late 70 's there was nothing like this , only flouro tubes , well you know , then HID and all the issues associated with it.......
So funny to think my 90 year old dad could screw in and grow , i had to shut him down around 10 years ago because the HID were getting too dangerous ,
Too funny , i may run over there and scree a few in for him .....
90 , he still wants a plant...
Also , that question i asked about the rope..?
I guess if ( your plant ) sat in a glass jar , then you just dumped the water out every few days and it was just a temporary container with no airstone ?
Is that what you did ?

BigCube

BigCube

Hey bigcube ,
Cool , when we first started growing around late 70 's there was nothing like this , only flouro tubes , well you know , then HID and all the issues associated with it.......
So funny to think my 90 year old dad could screw in and grow , i had to shut him down around 10 years ago because the HID were getting too dangerous ,
Too funny , i may run over there and scree a few in for him .....
90 , he still wants a plant...
Also , that question i asked about the rope..?
I guess if ( your plant ) sat in a glass jar , then you just dumped the water out every few days and it was just a temporary container with no airstone ?
Is that what you did ?

Essentially, yes.

The wick draws the water/nutes up in to the soil, the soil wicks a bit too. So even though I technically never watered it, the soil always stayed damp but not wet.

The roots quickly grew through the wicks and out the bottom. Where they just sat in the water. Since there was an air gap between the water level and the bottom of the cup, only wicked moisture would go in to the soil. Leaving lots of oxygen for the upper roots of the plant, so it never showed signs of overwatering.

I would check the water level in the jar every 3 or 4 days, and when it got low or even empty, hell a few times the wicks were bone dry too! I would just poor out what water/nutes remained and fill it back up to 1 inch before the bottom of the solo cup.

It would get picky about nutrients when it was low on water, so once I started to flower it, I had to change the water every 2 days. Or just add water with no nutrients as a top up. Like you would in a DWC or kratkey type grow.

Lol, I hear you. My dad is in his mid 60s. He's got plenty of years left, but we switched him out to LEDs last year.

I'm sure with a bit of help, your old man can have a plant again. Heck, if he's still smoking he best start growin!

BigCube

BigCube

If you dig through my diary you can see it progress.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Essentially, yes.

The wick draws the water/nutes up in to the soil, the soil wicks a bit too. So even though I technically never watered it, the soil always stayed damp but not wet.

The roots quickly grew through the wicks and out the bottom. Where they just sat in the water. Since there was an air gap between the water level and the bottom of the cup, only wicked moisture would go in to the soil. Leaving lots of oxygen for the upper roots of the plant, so it never showed signs of overwatering.

I would check the water level in the jar every 3 or 4 days, and when it got low or even empty, hell a few times the wicks were bone dry too! I would just poor out what water/nutes remained and fill it back up to 1 inch before the bottom of the solo cup.

It would get picky about nutrients when it was low on water, so once I started to flower it, I had to change the water every 2 days. Or just add water with no nutrients as a top up. Like you would in a DWC or kratkey type grow.

Lol, I hear you. My dad is in his mid 60s. He's got plenty of years left, but we switched him out to LEDs last year.

I'm sure with a bit of help, your old man can have a plant again. Heck, if he's still smoking he best start growin!
hey big, yea thanks, that wick intrigued me , because I want to invent a self watering system without pumps etc, for when I need to leave plants alone for a few days...
I got it figured out though.
yea old man is still smoking , at 91 , dosent have a care in the world, and burns em up like a pro....its funny

BigCube

BigCube

hey big, yea thanks, that wick intrigued me , because I want to invent a self watering system without pumps etc, for when I need to leave plants alone for a few days...
I got it figured out though.
yea old man is still smoking , at 91 , dosent have a care in the world, and burns em up like a pro....its funny

Yeah 🤣

Have you thought of DWC?

If your power is reliable enough you can easily go a week or even 2. With LED and 1 or 2 $20 wifi security cameras you wont need to worry.

Top Bottom