is it allright to have a dark cycle when sprouting seeds?

• Thread starter NBfrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NBfrost

I was wondering if it is allright to sprout seeds with a 6 hour dark period? I want to put them off to the side of my 1000 w hps , but i currently run my veg room at 18 and 6 ? is this ok ?

4HydrogenAtoms

4HydrogenAtoms

I was wondering if it is allright to sprout seeds with a 6 hour dark period? I want to put them off to the side of my 1000 w hps , but i currently run my veg room at 18 and 6 ? is this ok ?

If your talking about germinating the seeds, then i wouldn't see a problem with this. I always "Germ" My seeds outside in greenhouse dome. Seeing as Mother nature has the sun go down at the end of the day then what you've just stated is similar. Might just take 1 or 2 days longer for them to fully sprout.

M

Mercenary

This is completely fine. There light cycle has nothing to do with them germinating or sprouting. The light cycle only controls at the rate they do photosynthesis.

W

White Widower

I use fluorescent lights with an 18 light 6 dark cycle to sprout seeds and it works fine. Sometimes mh/hps lights are a little to intense for seedlings. I had a friend that was trying to grow one time, he sprouted his seeds under fluorescent lights with a 12 12 light cycle. His plants pretty much flowered immediately.

S

smokestack23

Cannabis plants do better with a dark period.
As long as they're getting at least the minimum amount of light energy during the day they will outperform plants under 24/7 light.

That's what the science proves. A lot of people will disagree but there is a reason behind that.

ANYWAY...yes...a dark cycle is "ok" for seedlings.

PEACE.

S

SourPatchSwag

Plants Need Rest

A dark period just like our sleep period allows the plant to do some basic processes and strengthen up the roots. Also if you plan to go outside they are a lot less likely to shock.

N

NBfrost

awsome thanks all , i am using a 1000w mh at the moment , but i also have a t 5 floresent , maby ill put them under the t5 just to be safe , but would it be ok to have them at the edge of the light source on a 1000?

S

smokestack23

i dont own any flouros...but...I dont have a 1K in my mother/veg room either. Like you said though...at the edge of the footprint or even shaded by another plant or something for a while and gradually move it closer to the brightness.

jasongood31

jasongood31

When germinating I leave them in total darkness... ok so you have a little seedling now, just put it off to the side if possible ( if you have a tray get a table and set it on the table next to the tray) fyi. i use t8's "same results to me" 6light t8's are only 65bucks at home depot! I like them better than t5's cause they admit a little heat!

J

Jalisco Kid

I would get out that t5. Your seedling will stretch under a 1000 because of distance you need to be away from the heat. JK

O

old spice

I always have dark period. But this is also the most sensitive time for stretching if you go overboard.

Top Bottom