Is it easier for women to get stoned?

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Study finds oestrogen 'increases sensitivity to cannabis making females more prone to addiction'
  • Study found female rats were 30% more sensitive to THC than male rats
  • Thought to be due to their increased oestrogen levels
  • Backs up previous studies showing women more prone to cannabis abuse
  • Marijuana produced today is much stronger than in previous years
  • Negative effects like depression, anxiety and paranoia more common
  • Women are more at risk due to increased sensitivity, scientists warn
By MADLEN DAVIES FOR MAILONLINE

Women are more likely to suffer negative effects of smoking cannabis - including depression, anxiety and paranoia - because their oestrogen levels make them more sensitive to its active ingredient, according to new research.

U.S. researchers found that female rats were at least 30 per cent more sensitive than males to the pain-relieving qualities of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis, because of their increased oestrogen levels.

Experts said that the increased concentration of THC in today’s cannabis meant smokers are more likely to experience negative effects including anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia, with women more at risk than men.

Previous studies have shown that women are more prone to cannabis abuse and dependence than men.

In women, cannabis withdrawal symptoms including irritability, sleep disruption and decreased food intake were shown to be more severe.

Women were also more likely to relapse when trying to quit smoking the drug.

The only effect of THC which appears to be more pronounced in men is in terms of appetite.

Studies in California found that THC stimulated the appetites of male animals more than those of females, meaning the ‘munchie effect’ might be stronger for men than women.

The new study, published in journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence, looked at the pain-relieving effects of THC on male and female rats.

After ten days of treatment, female rats were shown to be significantly more tolerant to THC than males.

Tolerance occurs when the rat ‘adapts’ to THC so that larger doses are required to produce the same pain-relieving effects seen with the first dose.

Researchers expected females to be more sensitive to THC, so adjusted their doses to be 30 per cent lower than the doses for males. The females still developed more tolerance.

Lead author Professor Rebecca Craft, of Washington State University said: ‘This is the lowest dose anyone has ever used to induce tolerance.

‘What we're finding with THC is that you get a very clear spike in drug sensitivity right when the females are ovulating - right when their oestrogen levels have peaked and are coming down,’ she said.

Professor Craft warned that marijuana that exists today has much higher concentrations of THC than in previous years, meaning negative side effects are much more likely, with women at higher risk due to their increased sensitivity to the compound.

‘Marijuana is very different than it was 40 years ago,’ she said. ‘It's much higher in THC and lower in cannabidiol, so a little bit goes a very long way.

‘We're more likely to see negative side effects today like anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia. And women are at higher risk.’

She added that despite the known differences in how marijuana affects women and men, most THC tolerance studies have been done on males as women’s hormone levels tend to vary throughout the month.

Researchers also found that a low dose of THC did not disrupt the reproductive cycle in female rats, which has been under debate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-cannabis-making-females-prone-addiction.html

K

kolah

interesting how in that short bullshit article how they put the same thing in there...two different times..all trying to bang home the same lie.

quotes from the article:

"...negative effects including anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia, with women more at risk than men."

"We're more likely to see negative side effects today like anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia."

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
"...negative effects including anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia, with women more at risk than men."
In almost 50 years of Cannabis consumption I have heard of this happening,
but I've only witnessed two cases of real problem-type Cannabis-induced psycotic reaction;
both were men and both first-time smokers.

These people are "allergic" to Cannabis (probably THC);
and the problem is self-correcting--
the reaction is bad enough that they never try Cannabis again...

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Study finds oestrogen 'increases sensitivity to cannabis making females more prone to addiction'
  • Study found female rats were 30% more sensitive to THC than male rats
  • Thought to be due to their increased oestrogen levels
  • Backs up previous studies showing women more prone to cannabis abuse
  • Marijuana produced today is much stronger than in previous years
  • Negative effects like depression, anxiety and paranoia more common
  • Women are more at risk due to increased sensitivity, scientists warn
By MADLEN DAVIES FOR MAILONLINE

Women are more likely to suffer negative effects of smoking cannabis - including depression, anxiety and paranoia - because their oestrogen levels make them more sensitive to its active ingredient, according to new research.

U.S. researchers found that female rats were at least 30 per cent more sensitive than males to the pain-relieving qualities of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis, because of their increased oestrogen levels.

Experts said that the increased concentration of THC in today’s cannabis meant smokers are more likely to experience negative effects including anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia, with women more at risk than men.

Previous studies have shown that women are more prone to cannabis abuse and dependence than men.

In women, cannabis withdrawal symptoms including irritability, sleep disruption and decreased food intake were shown to be more severe.

Women were also more likely to relapse when trying to quit smoking the drug.

The only effect of THC which appears to be more pronounced in men is in terms of appetite.

Studies in California found that THC stimulated the appetites of male animals more than those of females, meaning the ‘munchie effect’ might be stronger for men than women.

The new study, published in journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence, looked at the pain-relieving effects of THC on male and female rats.

After ten days of treatment, female rats were shown to be significantly more tolerant to THC than males.

Tolerance occurs when the rat ‘adapts’ to THC so that larger doses are required to produce the same pain-relieving effects seen with the first dose.

Researchers expected females to be more sensitive to THC, so adjusted their doses to be 30 per cent lower than the doses for males. The females still developed more tolerance.

Lead author Professor Rebecca Craft, of Washington State University said: ‘This is the lowest dose anyone has ever used to induce tolerance.

‘What we're finding with THC is that you get a very clear spike in drug sensitivity right when the females are ovulating - right when their oestrogen levels have peaked and are coming down,’ she said.

Professor Craft warned that marijuana that exists today has much higher concentrations of THC than in previous years, meaning negative side effects are much more likely, with women at higher risk due to their increased sensitivity to the compound.

‘Marijuana is very different than it was 40 years ago,’ she said. ‘It's much higher in THC and lower in cannabidiol, so a little bit goes a very long way.

‘We're more likely to see negative side effects today like anxiety, confusion, panic attacks, hallucinations or extreme paranoia. And women are at higher risk.’

She added that despite the known differences in how marijuana affects women and men, most THC tolerance studies have been done on males as women’s hormone levels tend to vary throughout the month.

Researchers also found that a low dose of THC did not disrupt the reproductive cycle in female rats, which has been under debate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-cannabis-making-females-prone-addiction.html

Never dated a rat. So I am not convinced that this is factual cause any gal I smoke with it just makes em hornier. :)

K

kolah

What's the percentage of someone freaking out from weed??? .00001 ???

I think there's FAR better things to warn people about...like toxic fake sugars ( aka aspartame, ect), radiated seafood, adverse reactions (and deaths) from vaccines, toxic fluoride in toothpaste and filtered and treated shit and piss that we call municipal drinking water. I'll stop there.

This is BS propaganda and nothing more. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than freaking out on weed. Is it possible? Yes. But the odds of it happening are slim to none. So why even discuss it. Why? You all should know why.

And I bet if ya look up the numbers you have better odds of getting hit by a g-damn lightning bolt than flipping your wig after smoking a joint.

People can get burnt from a toaster. We need more articles about that.

And yeah I always love the bogus rat and guinea pigs experiments AND how they bombard them with megadoses to obtain the results they want.

K

kolah

Why discuss it? cause its the internet.. and thats what we do... :D

I think you took my post wrong. I wasn't talking about people here voicing opinions here but moreso at the article. A few "scientists" (cough cough) make bug bucks playing around with rats and release their trash propaganda to the public.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Gotcha. :D

I dunno studys happen all the time some for the right reasons others obviously for the wrong.. I cant just dismiss them all in 1 foul swoop and say there all a conspiracy and only take the good ones..

Peer review are the only way studys hold up so they get published people look for fatal flaws and ways to discredit the study..

I always link to the article/author so if anyone feels really strongly about the issue they can write the right people. :D

K

kolah

If you do some homework you'll find that almost all research is nothing but junk science. It's a huge rabbit hole which took me 10 years to uncover and find the truth. From conflicts of interest, who's funding the studies, fudged data, pay-offs and kickbacks and even into threats and murders to the whistleblowers, it's a big black hole of bullpoop. A perfect example of the shananigans is the drug companies so-called "research.

That's all I'll say, dun' here, ;)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
If you do some homework you'll find that almost all research is nothing but junk science. It's a huge rabbit hole which took me 10 years to uncover and find the truth. From conflicts of interest, who's funding the studies, fudged data, pay-offs and kickbacks and even into threats and murders to the whistleblowers, it's a big black hole of bullpoop. A perfect example of the shananigans is the drug companies so-called "research.

That's all I'll say, dun' here, ;)
Nice, I finally found someone that feels the way I do about a lot of research........ I have found this to be true also. Drill down and it is all smoke and mirrors.

way2green

way2green

My wife barely smokes 2 zips per week. I have to grow. I feel quite sure she isnt getting stoned easier than me. I barely smoke one zip myself and I know my lungs runneth over.......

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What I took away from that article was that they're addressing the fact that most medical studies have been and are still male-dominated and focused. It's a problem.

Top Bottom