• Tagged users None
H

HerbGardner

How's she looking? Another week or so?
Is it harvest time yet
Is it harvest time yet 2

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

looks like you won't get much out of that plant, still that could remain some decent and enjoyable smoke but not much in quantity.

and no, not ready yet imho

is that an automatic or a photoperiod ?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I agree that it will be 3-4 weeks, but that plant is yours and if you didn't plant that seed, there wouldn't be 5 or so grams of fresh bud, waiting for someone to smoke it. You should not "leave it for the Smurfs."

People growing for years and years forget what it was like to start.

Bilber

Bilber

Looks good HerbGardner.....I had planted a stunted, solocupped Gorilla Glue auto outside....probably 4 inches or so.....tiny.....

Come harvest, it produced maybe two grams.....couple bowls....that's it.....

Wow......don't underestimate these plants....

Not knowing anything about the grow, it definitely looks like at least 2 more weeks, by the picture of the bottom pistils/stigmas being totally white. Please don't go by just the bottom of the plant...I'm just saying, the plants bottom flowers have total access to sun, which leads me to believe at least 2 more weeks......

Listen to the talent on this site...

I look forward to the smoke report....

H

HerbGardner

Lol thanks for the positivity everyone, this poor girl's had a hard life. Growing 12:12 is ridiculous but it was the fastest way to actually seeing my own bud, a bit of inspiration for actual growing season.

Legalization means weed is cheap and plentiful so I'm just growing for experience. I feel like I'm growing tomatoes at home but still buy from the store.

For next time, if I just shine a flashlight on my plant for a few hours a night, would that be enough to keep her in veg or would I need something brighter?

They require hours of continuous darkness to start flowering, so it shouldn't be too hard to disrupt, right?

Looks good HerbGardner.....I had planted a stunted, solocupped Gorilla Glue auto outside....probably 4 inches or so.....tiny.....

Come harvest, it produced maybe two grams.....couple bowls....that's it.....

Wow......don't underestimate these plants....

Not knowing anything about the grow, it definitely looks like at least 2 more weeks, by the picture of the bottom pistils/stigmas being totally white. Please don't go by just the bottom of the plant...I'm just s

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Lol thanks for the positivity everyone, this poor girl's had a hard life. Growing 12:12 is ridiculous but it was the fastest way to actually seeing my own bud, a bit of inspiration for actual growing season.

Legalization means weed is cheap and plentiful so I'm just growing for experience. I feel like I'm growing tomatoes at home but still buy from the store.

For next time, if I just shine a flashlight on my plant for a few hours a night, would that be enough to keep her in veg or would I need something brighter?

They require hours of continuous darkness to start flowering, so it shouldn't be too hard to disrupt, right?
If the plant is in your yard, just put on an outdoor light for a few hours a night. A flashlight sounds like it could be a pain.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

If the plant is in your yard, just put on an outdoor light for a few hours a night. A flashlight sounds like it could be a pain.
when the plant get around 12 hour night time it trigger the release of florigen hormone wich induce flowering

"Phytochrome is a pigment that is found within the leaves of all plants, as well as cannabis. The role of this pigment is to detect light to then allow the plant to grow accordingly based on the season or time to induce flower production. When light hits the surface of a leaf, there will be two types of light sensors at work: one which has the job of detecting blue light and one for detecting red light.

Phytochrome In Cannabis – Pr​

The Pr represents the light absorption at a peak of 666 nm, whilst Pfr represents the light absorption from the range of 705 – 740 nm. When Pr absorbs red light, it will then be converted to Pfr.

Technically this wavelength of light is classed as red light, and during this time, red light changes phytochrome to its biologically active form. Plants that are dark green and usually with short internodal spaces are an expression of Pr range being utilized.

Phytochrome In Cannabis – Pfr​

The ‘fr’ stands for far red, and this determines wavelengths or red light that are not Pr but form in the range of 705 – 740 nm, which absorbs at a peak of 730 nm. In the same way that Pr is converted to Pfr, the same occurs when Pfr absorbs far red light and is then converted back to the Pr form.

It sounds complicated and what the relevance of each one does can be hard to understand, however the Pfr phytochrome is responsible for inducing flowering as it corresponds to the amount of available light or shading that is present. There is a role for phytochrome in controlling gene expression, and these can cover the factors of stem elongation, stomatal function and light sensitivity in terms of floral production and plant metabolism."

you need to give a signifiant amount (enough ppfd over the whole plant i guess) for it to work, for exemple moon do produce a little amount of blue light at night but it' doesn't trigger flowering

"If this dark period is interrupted even with a brief exposure of red light (660-665 nm wavelength), the short day plant will not flowering ."

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

"If this dark period is interrupted even with a brief exposure of red light (660-665 nm wavelength), the short day plant will not flowering ."

so as mysticepipedon said any "warm white" spectrum kind of light will interrupt flowering if used accordingly but even 15-30 min should be enough

H

HerbGardner

I found this from Ed Rosenthal, he says I can use a flashlight so long as it covers the whole plant, but we do live in the 21st century. He just has a yard light on a timer shining for one minute intervals throughout the night.

Preventing flowering takes less than a few seconds of light in order to break up the plant’s dark cycle. In my own greenhouse, I set up a system to give my plant’s light using two timers. The first is a repeating timer that has two dials. One sets the amount of time the light is on, I set it for a minute. The other dial sets how often the light goes on. I set it for every two hours. This timer is plugged into a standard 24-hour timer that turns on at 8 PM and stays on until 4 AM so the plants receive one-minute bursts of light every 2 hours between 8 PM and 4 AM. I use 20 watt CFL bulbs screwed into bowl reflectors since the light doesn’t have to be too bright.
so as mysticepipedon said any "warm white" spectrum kind of light will interrupt flowering if used accordingly but even 15-30 min should be enough
Thanks for the info, I'll need a second to digest it but basically Pr tells the plant it's getting enough sun whereas Pfr tells the plant to grow onto a better position, right?

So planting outdoors I want the plant to have full sun during sunrise or sunset so it can recieve the longer red wavelengths?

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

it's a bit more complicated both convert to each other, the thing is that' thoose red light receptors pf and pfr that trigger flowering when enough uninterrupted night time

Skunkfarm

Skunkfarm

when the plant get around 12 hour night time it trigger the release of florigen hormone wich induce flowering

"Phytochrome is a pigment that is found within the leaves of all plants, as well as cannabis. The role of this pigment is to detect light to then allow the plant to grow accordingly based on the season or time to induce flower production. When light hits the surface of a leaf, there will be two types of light sensors at work: one which has the job of detecting blue light and one for detecting red light.

Phytochrome In Cannabis – Pr​

The Pr represents the light absorption at a peak of 666 nm, whilst Pfr represents the light absorption from the range of 705 – 740 nm. When Pr absorbs red light, it will then be converted to Pfr.

Technically this wavelength of light is classed as red light, and during this time, red light changes phytochrome to its biologically active form. Plants that are dark green and usually with short internodal spaces are an expression of Pr range being utilized.

Phytochrome In Cannabis – Pfr​

The ‘fr’ stands for far red, and this determines wavelengths or red light that are not Pr but form in the range of 705 – 740 nm, which absorbs at a peak of 730 nm. In the same way that Pr is converted to Pfr, the same occurs when Pfr absorbs far red light and is then converted back to the Pr form.

It sounds complicated and what the relevance of each one does can be hard to understand, however the Pfr phytochrome is responsible for inducing flowering as it corresponds to the amount of available light or shading that is present. There is a role for phytochrome in controlling gene expression, and these can cover the factors of stem elongation, stomatal function and light sensitivity in terms of floral production and plant metabolism."

you need to give a signifiant amount (enough ppfd over the whole plant i guess) for it to work, for exemple moon do produce a little amount of blue light at night but it' doesn't trigger flowering

Dude knows how to use a search engine.

H

HerbGardner

it's a bit more complicated both convert to each other, the thing is that' thoose red light receptors pf and pfr that trigger flowering when enough uninterrupted night time
So seedlings that haven't been exposed to light (and etiolated plants) are full of Phytochrome A. This gets converted to Phytochome B in response to light, telling the plant to turn green. There's also Phytochome C, D & E but that's beyond me right now.

In the dark the phyotochome is in its inactive state, which reacts to red-containing light (Pr). When the phytochome comes into contact with light it to converts to its active Pfr state, named because it can be converted back to its inactive form by shining far red light (i.e. the last rays of sunset too weak for us to see) - though the phytochrome is predominantly inactivated by lack of light. After you turn off your grow lights, the phytochromes progressively turn to their inactive state over the next two hours.

Figure 30 06 01

When the phytochrome is in its inactive Pr state, the plant goes to sleep and stops growing. The sun comes out, the phytochrome switches to its active Pfr form and the plant grows, toward the sun.

For us it means keeping 666nm red containing light off our plants for 12 continuous hours to avoid waking the plant. If that's not possible, there's a chance that flooding plants with infrared lights during nighttime can counteract the effects of light leaks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom