Is it possible to be overwatered for 6 days?

• Thread starter Mycriot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mycriot

Mycriot

Can anyone please help me? These plants haven’t been watered for 6 days in 5 gallon vermifire soil pots. They’re still showing signs of overwatered. I don’t know if I should just keep letting them dry or if I should transplant them. Maybe pulls them out of the pots for awhile? They are now starting to turn yellow towards the bottom and middle. If anyone can please give some advice I would be very appreciative.

Is it possible to be overwatered for 6 days
Is it possible to be overwatered for 6 days 2
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Not being there to know for sure, they look rootbound and dry to me. Underwatered ....

ArrEll

ArrEll

Can anyone please help me? These plants haven’t been watered for 6 days in 5 gallon vermifire soil pots. They’re still showing signs of overwatered. I don’t know if I should just keep letting them dry or if I should transplant them. Maybe pulls them out of the pots for awhile? They are now starting to turn yellow towards the bottom and middle. If anyone can please give some advice I would be very appreciative.
I'm fairly New as a Grower (though I Grew a few, like 50 years ago lol), so don't rely exclusively on what I say, but:

I'd say your automatic watering system is giving your plants an OD of water. Cut back on the Volume & Frequency, or you're going to lose these plants to Root/Bud Rot. Symptoms of Over/Under watering are often the same, so it's hard to tell for sure. Go by the "Heft" of the pots. Keep letting them dry out. I see one which is out of the pot & doing so....Not sure if you want to do that with all of them, but....you might. I see a lot of Perlite on the top of it, but little throughout the body of the root ball (on the exposed one). I use Perlite throughout the soil. Just covering that base. Hope for the best....

Mycriot

Mycriot

Not being there to know for sure, they look rootbound and dry to me. Underwatered ....
They are rootbound but the pots are really heavy still. I have watered a few of them to see if they’d bounce back. That was 2 days ago and they look the same.

Mycriot

Mycriot

I'm fairly New as a Grower (though I Grew a few, like 50 years ago lol), so don't rely exclusively on what I say, but:

I'd say your automatic watering system is giving your plants an OD of water. Cut back on the Volume & Frequency, or you're going to lose these plants to Root/Bud Rot. Symptoms of Over/Under watering are often the same, so it's hard to tell for sure. Keep letting them dry out. I see one which is out of the pot & doing so....Not sure if you want to do that with all of them, but....you might. I see a lot of Perlite on the top of it, but little throughout the body of the root ball (on the exposed one). I use Perlite throughout the soil. Just covering that base. Hope for the best....
Thank you so much! I figured if I took it out of the pot then it would dry out faster. Not sure how bad that will effect the roots but anything to get them looking normal again is what i need. They’ve looked like this for 6 days now.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'd say your automatic watering system is giving your plants an OD of water. Cut back on the Volume & Frequency, or you're going to lose these plants to Root/Bud Rot. Symptoms of Over/Under watering are often the same, so it's hard to tell for sure. Go by the "Heft" of the pots. Keep letting them dry out. I see one which is out of the pot & doing so....Not sure if you want to do that with all of them, but....you might. I see a lot of Perlite on the top of it, but little throughout the body of the root ball (on the exposed one). I use Perlite throughout the soil. Just covering that base. Hope for the best....

Again, not being there to tell for sure, if they are water-logged then there's an argument for transplanting into larger containers ... as well as reducing frequency of feeding, etc.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

It’ll help to dry them out to have fans blowing at soil level. Then you may be able to keep your schedule. But top of soil needs to dry a lot more. I’d think a higher vermiculite mix would help as well

Madmax

Madmax

Perhaps tell us abit more about your grow what you are feeding them ph and ppm..def not rootbound.they should of dried in 6 days..is that coco/perlite.im watering mine in 5 gal 6 litres a day and they are light the following day..

Mycriot

Mycriot

Perhaps tell us abit more about your grow what you are feeding them ph and ppm..def not rootbound.they should of dried in 6 days..is that coco/perlite.im watering mine in 5 gal 6 litres a day and they are light the following day..
They are in week 3 of flower. (Greenhouse light dep) they vegged in those pots for about a month. They are in vermifire soil and getting fed house and garden nutrients once a week. Ph is always 6.2-6.5 for these early stages. The ec of their last feeding was 1.8 and the run off was 2.0.
the temps have been weird. Hot during the day around 75-80 degrees but drops down to high the 40s at night. It did rain a few days in a row when this started and the temps dropped to the 30s a few of those nights.

Mycriot

Mycriot

They are in week 3 of flower. (Greenhouse light dep) they vegged in those pots for about a month. They are in vermifire soil and getting fed house and garden nutrients once a week. Ph is always 6.2-6.5 for these early stages. The ec of their last feeding was 1.8 and the run off was 2.0.
the temps have been weird. Hot during the day around 75-80 degrees but drops down to high the 40s at night. It did rain a few days in a row when this started and the temps dropped to the 30s a few of those nights.
The last watering they got just about 2.5 liters

Madbud

Madbud

70-80° ambient temperatature drives those black pots over 140° in direct sunlight, cooks the roots, they stop feeding. You can put them in paper bags to help dry the soil out but they may not come back at this point. As a last resort i would saw off the bottom inch and repot.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Those cold temps don't help ya much... find a way to up the night temls if possible... also lots of air movement. If they are staying wet that long they are not rootbound. They are having trouble with uptake... cold roots and a soil that's to wet to long does this. Soaked is ok as long as they can uptake the water.... bigger pots will only make this worse. Honestly I feel the fabric pots will help you in future grows.

Also if the soil is starting to get very compact you will want to aerate it.

Your issue is lack of oxygen in the root zone for the reasons I listed. As the plant uptake water it also pulls in o2. Cold stagnant water will quickly become depleted of o2 and you get what ppl call over watering.

Good to see you have them up off the floor.

Lower humidity, increase heat and airflow and aerate the soil with a wooden skewer or coat hanger all of which will help force the plant to uptake water. It may stress them a bit but fastest way to bring em out of it. Also don't take them out of the pots those root will all air prune.

Mycriot

Mycriot

Those cold temps don't help ya much... find a way to up the night temls if possible... also lots of air movement. If they are staying wet that long they are not rootbound. They are having trouble with uptake... cold roots and a soil that's to wet to long does this. Soaked is ok as long as they can uptake the water.... bigger pots will only make this worse. Honestly I feel the fabric pots will help you in future grows.

Also if the soil is starting to get very compact you will want to aerate it.

Your issue is lack of oxygen in the root zone for the reasons I listed. As the plant uptake water it also pulls in o2. Cold stagnant water will quickly become depleted of o2 and you get what ppl call over watering.

Good to see you have them up off the floor.

Lower humidity, increase heat and airflow and aerate the soil with a wooden skewer or coat hanger all of which will help force the plant to uptake water. It may stress them a bit but fastest way to bring em out of it. Also don't take them out of the pots those root will all air prune.
Thank you very much! I’m still trying to figure out how to control low temps in this greenhouse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom