Is it possible to change medium half way through a grow?

• Thread starter Sky1169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sky1169

Sky1169

First time grower here , I have a plant that's getting close to needing a transplant. I want to transplant it from unknown potting mix to a coco coir and perlite mix. Is it possible to change medium half way through? If so would it damage my plant .

BigCube

BigCube

First time grower here , I have a plant that's getting close to needing a transplant. I want to transplant it from unknown potting mix to a coco coir and perlite mix. Is it possible to change medium half way through? If so would it damage my plant .

If you're still in veg, it will be fine if you can meet its watering needs.

Most potting mix is high in peatmoss, as such it retains a lot of water. Coco is the exact opposite, it doesnt retain water for very long.

While normally coco requires daily watering, with peat in the mix, you have to be sure you're not over watering, but also not under watering.

Just monitor it like you normally would. It shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing to think about is nutrient retention. Coco is normally watered through, meaning watered excess till 20% runoff. This ensures salts dont build up in the medium.
With peat, you might have a salt build up issue if you dont water properly.

How big is the pot you're in, and big of a pot are you going in t

Sky1169

Sky1169

If you're still in veg, it will be fine if you can meet its watering needs.

Most potting mix is high in peatmoss, as such it retains a lot of water. Coco is the exact opposite, it doesnt retain water for very long.

While normally coco requires daily watering, with peat in the mix, you have to be sure you're not over watering, but also not under watering.

Just monitor it like you normally would. It shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing to think about is nutrient retention. Coco is normally watered through, meaning watered excess till 20% runoff. This ensures salts dont build up in the medium.
With peat, you might have a salt build up issue if you dont water properly.

How big is the pot you're in, and big of a pot are you going in t
Thanks for The info! plants currently in early veg and I'm planning to transplant from 1 gal to 5 gal

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Coco is a little bit of a head trip if you are used to soil. Keep that shit wet ( if coco ). Soil would sour quickly if treated that way.

Top Bottom