Is It Possible To Do A Ballast Flip With Gavita Units?

• Thread starter nednurg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nednurg

just like the title says. is it possible? what flip box do you need?

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

You could do it with Gavita remote ballasts & hoods obviously. You could also in theory probably wire a relay into the fixtures and use the all in one units in 1 room and remote hoods in the other I suppose. Seems like more trouble than it's worth imo though. Any lighting controller & flip box would work.

Does this answer your question?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

You could do it with Gavita remote ballasts & hoods obviously. You could also in theory probably wire a relay into the fixtures and use the all in one units in 1 room and remote hoods in the other I suppose. Seems like more trouble than it's worth imo though. Any lighting controller & flip box would work.

Does this answer your question?

WRONG,Gavitas are not designed to be flipped in the traditional sense,close as you can come would be the all in one e-series ballasts in both rooms and a gavita el2 controller working both rooms but that is not a traditional flip which uses 1 ballast to power 2 lamps.Gavita recommends against using any traditional flipbox with ANY of their equipment.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Unless starting a fire and destroying your fixture is part of your plan, then no flip boxes. It will not work with the new H/F tech.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
WRONG,Gavitas are not designed to be flipped in the traditional sense,close as you can come would be the all in one e-series ballasts in both rooms and a gavita el2 controller working both rooms but that is not a traditional flip which uses 1 ballast to power 2 lamps.Gavita recommends against using any traditional flipbox with ANY of their equipment.

yo fish, im almost positive u can rune e series remote balasts with the el1-2 to acomplish a flip. its built into the el controllers so if they cant why would they build that in?

confu

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

@Confu,With an EL2 controller You can control 2 different rooms with their own seperate ballasts/power but you cant 'Flip' ,run 2 lights in 2 different rooms off 1 ballast and one power source, like we normally think about it.The e series plug right into power all the time like a regular lamp in your house and the controller just turns it on and off like a switch,timed of course,through the little RJ phone cord wire but there is no way to actually Flip a ballast from a light in one room to a light in another like a flipbox would do,both rooms need their own ballasts and power.
As for the remote ballasts i dont have those but gavita says no to flipping them too,ive asked.Not sure what their reasoning is?maybe to sell more ballasts,lol.
@dirty sanchez,I think it would be interesting to see if they would run on something like a powerbox flipbox myself im just not the guy to try it,id subscribe to that thread though!

Last edited:
Beavinator

Beavinator

Yeah you could flip the Gavita remote ballast but it would take some custom wiring. You would have to wire in some contactors on the power lines going into the ballasts. When your ready to flip the lights you would cut the power to ballasts via contactors. Maybe let them cool down a few minutes then activate your flip boxes to switch to the lights in the other room and then power the contactors back up giving the ballasts power. It would work but its probably easier just to go with 1 ballast per light.

T

toquer

Is the voltage on the remote ballasts 400v between bulb and ballast? If so, then you need better relays than what is in most flip boxes. In addition to that shielding on the remote cables is pricey as the higher voltage rating.

Olyver

Olyver

The flip relays I use are rated for 600V, the flips from CVR Mfg and Electroyield are really cheap relays and rated for only 250V.

Latest posts

Top Bottom