Is It Possible To Use One Chiller On Two Reservoir's

• Thread starter socalsinner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Good stuff guys...........was thinking of ordering one of those stainless coils for my EZ Cloner and run it off a pump from my flowering rez.

Informative thread for me - Cheech, can you report back with how it worked out for ya?

B

Bobby Smith

Hey RMCG, what are your thoughts on the possibility of my idea working? Was thinking of getting the same 1/3HP Current chiller as you, and then cooling my 50-70 gallon flowering reservoir and then running a pump and a coil from that to my EZ Clone 120.

I've never used a chiller before, so I don't know dick about them - you think my plan has a reasonable shot at working, or should I just buy a separate chiller for the EZ (would a 1/10HP be sufficient for 13 gallons?) and K.I.S.S.?

C

cheech

no the second wart chiller will have the same temp water..

rez -->chiller----T------]end of supply line at 90 angle

t will be 3/4x3/4x1/2.. 1/2 will run through wart 1 then back to rez.

90 d angle will be 3/4x1/2 if they make it.. or 3/4 then reducer to 1/2 through wart 2 back to rez.

temp shouldn't cool off because it's only 15' longer to the second wart. i'm not going to run the supply through the first wart then to the 2nd because you're right the temps in the second rez would be all fucked up.

BOBBY why do you want to cool your ez cloner?

R

RMCG

Hey RMCG, what are your thoughts on the possibility of my idea working? Was thinking of getting the same 1/3HP Current chiller as you, and then cooling my 50-70 gallon flowering reservoir and then running a pump and a coil from that to my EZ Clone 120.

I've never used a chiller before, so I don't know dick about them - you think my plan has a reasonable shot at working, or should I just buy a separate chiller for the EZ (would a 1/10HP be sufficient for 13 gallons?) and K.I.S.S.?

I missed where you posted originally, but I think you could get away with 1/15hp easy. Additional pump == added heat though too.

Not sure how far away from the chiller the cloner would be, but if its insulated manifold/lines and you could get a small coil in there, it should work. Seems like a pain in the ass to me though. Roots and sprayers and whatnot.

I would drop the $ on a cycle timer and just do 1m/4m on/off cycles to deal with temps.

B

Bobby Smith

I missed where you posted originally, but I think you could get away with 1/15hp easy. Additional pump == added heat though too.

Not sure how far away from the chiller the cloner would be, but if its insulated manifold/lines and you could get a small coil in there, it should work. Seems like a pain in the ass to me though. Roots and sprayers and whatnot.

I would drop the $ on a cycle timer and just do 1m/4m on/off cycles to deal with temps.

Yeah, gonna get a cycle timer as well - the CAP one.

And I agree, just gonna do two separate chillers.

And cheech, running the chiller because my EZ fried my first batch of clones that were in there - not entirely its fault, as temps were 80-85 in the growing area - need to get the EZ down to about 68, and the only way to do that consistently is with a chiller.

C

cheech

i use a diy bubble ponic cloner and have never had problems until this last batch. i don't think it's the warm temp so much as new air stones that create much more condensation than the last ones. my stems were rotting within 5 days with these new air stones. i put the pump on a cycle timer that has 15 minute increments and set it for 30 min on 15 off and things are back to normal. i bet that once you start cycling your pump you will have no problems and won't need that chiller.

B

Bobby Smith

I'm gonna mess around with it and see what I can do - just took 144 clones today in Jiffy Pellets and humidity domes................and they're sitting on top of my dormant EZ Clone.

Lol.........

C

cheech

yea.. check this out. they recommend water temps at 70-85. i found in the winter that if i put a aquarium heater in my clone rez that they root quicker. you're straight.

B

Bobby Smith

yea.. check this out. they recommend water temps at 70-85. i found in the winter that if i put a aquarium heater in my clone rez that they root quicker. you're straight.

Yeah, gonna get my 1 on/4 off timer and see how that goes in terms of temps, but I'll probably also buy a little chiller for it - maybe like a 1/15th chiller or something.

Wanna use it to veg rooted clones for a week or two anyways, in which case I'll need the water temps to be about 68F - gonna need a chiller to do that.

EDIT: I was reading that letter the kid wrote about his dog in the vet's office one day (where your sig quote is from) and that shit got me choked up........

C

cheech

lol. yea i read that too. i actually got the sig quote from yahoo answers when i googled why do dogs live such short lives.

P

pharmaseed

It can be done if you use a 3/4 hose to a Y fitting then to your pump and then 1 inch pump to chiller. Then for the return 1inch reduced to a 3/4 Y fitting it should work fine just make sure u put a over flow connecting your rezzies just incase. If you dont reduce back down on the return line to 3/4 the flow is way off.

J

jazzyjeff

I'm now heading in the direction of using immersion coils or plate heat exchangers to cool down Three separate DWC reservoirs.

Have one chiller (1/4 hp) and right now using that in a small 4 bucket setup. so I have plenty of capacity to spare.

I'm looking to setup another 4 bucket setup in a veg area. Of course it will be running a different nutes profile and I need a way to cool it. Additionally I may want to run a third small branch to a Turbo Kloner or a DWC bucket for mommy plant but I think I am doing that with a couple of Peltier chips, but I'm not attached to that as the cost to run and regulate those gets a little heavy (4 chips with fans is pulling about 600 watts from the wall on my test units).

My first thought was to use plate exchangers. which are a about 25% more expensive than the immersion coils at first glance.
I don't mind paying that. But noticed that all the stainless steel plate exchangers I am finding are coming with copper braising.
I am concerned about the copper here.. for the same reasons we don't use copper immersion coils, wondering if the plate exchangers can cause a problem with nutes running thru one side of it. Either gunging up the inside of the plate exchanger or adding toxicity to the nutes.

Does anyone have any experience with these plate exchangers?

And did anyone get any further on the 2 immersion coolers in series project? I know these is an old thread.. but I'm really curious how that turned out?

Please share any wisdom.

Thanks
Jazz

Top Bottom