Is it too late to top my ladies?

• Thread starter Greenhouse82
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greenhouse82

I got a question I was wondering if it is too late to top my ladies. I'm kind of new and I'm unsure and do not want to damage her. I'm getting ready to cut some clones but someone told me that I should clean her up and top her but she has a lot of vegetation at the top and like I said I do not want to damage her. I have had her indoors 4 about three weeks and she's been Outdoors for about 3 weeks. I also have photos if need be.

Is it too late to top my ladies
Is it too late to top my ladies 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Plants don't clone well during flowering, with SAtiva's being more difficult than Indica, IMO. Topping shouldn't be done as it will probably stunt the plant more than creating new branches/colas. If you are leaving it outside, I would let it grow unhindered, although I would have let it grow larger before switching to flowering. Where are you located? If you are in the northern hemisphere, how are you going to keep it from going into vegetation growth again? It's a nice looking plant, but flowering in late spring is usually a problem if moved full time outside. If you take clones and are successful, they will be very bushy when they start to grow, since every joint/junction will start a new branch. Keep us informed!

G

Greenhouse82

Plants don't clone well during flowering, with SAtiva's being more difficult than Indica, IMO. Topping shouldn't be done as it will probably stunt the plant more than creating new branches/colas. If you are leaving it outside, I would let it grow unhindered, although I would have let it grow larger before switching to flowering. Where are you located? If you are in the northern hemisphere, how are you going to keep it from going into vegetation growth again? It's a nice looking plant, but flowering in late spring is usually a problem if moved full time outside. If you take clones and are successful, they will be very bushy when they start to grow, since every joint/junction will start a new branch. Keep us informed!
I live in Kentucky and I was running 18:6 on the lighting what I was indoors like I said I am new to this but she is a beauty and I'm not wanting 2 lose her I would like to do the best I can to get the most I can but I would also love to have clones off her if possible I am very desperate for clones do you think it would be better to put her back under the light? And how do you keep 1 and vegetation grow?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Were these purposely flowered under 12/12 photoperiods? I know you mentioned 18/6, but that shouldn't put the plant into flowering. If it was flowering and you changed the light back to 18/6, it will revert to vegetative growth and explode with new growth until it goes back into flowering later in the season.
I guess what I am trying to say is that normally, plants grown under 18/6 light periods grow in veg mode. If you have been running the plant under 18/6, then there is a chance that the seed was an auto flowering variety.

G

Greenhouse82

Were these purposely flowered under 12/12 photoperiods? I know you mentioned 18/6, but that shouldn't put the plant into flowering. If it was flowering and you changed the light back to 18/6, it will revert to vegetative growth and explode with new growth until it goes back into flowering later in the season.
I guess what I am trying to say is that normally, plants grown under 18/6 light periods grow in veg mode. If you have been running the plant under 18/6, then there is a chance that the seed was an auto flowering variety.
I got the seeds gave to me a friend of mine gave me 12 plants and had this one in a separate pot and said that it was a guaranteed female he said it was Sour Diesel but it looks more like a white widow. When I first got the plants I put them under a 24-hour light schedule for the first week and then converted to 18/6 once it started getting warmer I put her outside because at the time the place I had her I did not feel safe. But she was on 18 6 for at least three to four weeks before I put her outside and she's been out there exactly 5 weeks today I attempted to clone off her 10 days ago and they did not make it. The only thing I had at the time was powder which failed to work but I was really surprised to see how fast she went into flowering. But she is getting full sun. But I'm trying to get the most I can out of this plant. And would love to have some clones. Would cloning be a bad idea and a waste of time since she is in flowering? What would you do? And how would you do it? Thank you for all your input. It really means a lot. I'm also attaching a photo of what she look like when I first put her out. This is the transformation in 5 weeks

20190528 215359
G

Greenhouse82

Another question I had is a 5 gallon bucket big enough for a plant?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I didn't see flowering in the last photo, but now I see it was an earlier photo. Clones take best when in vegetative mode, and your plant shouldn't be reverting to flowering with the longest day being 3 weeks away. If you are having difficulty with the clones, you might try using a somewhat larger branch instead of a smaller cutting. It might* help. If it is a branch, I would dip in rooting powder if available, and put it in a small glass of water... about 1 inch. This should allow it to have a little more resilience while it grows roots.
I have grown indoors with 5 or 6 gallon buckets for decades, with good results. A plant will grow as big as it's root system will allow it to. A 15 gallon pot will allow a lot more root mass and a much larger plant, to a degree. The plant still has to have enough time to grow large before flowering outdoors. The larger pots come in handy only if the plant has enough time to fully take advantage of it... shorter growing seasons might not have as much luck, but as a general rule, plants, like aquarium fish, seem to grow bigger depending on how big of a container they are in. Indoors, I can see the difference between identical clones grown in a 5 VS a 6 gallon bucket. I'm sure a 15 gallon container would have much nicer results outsoors!

G

Greenhouse82

I didn't see flowering in the last photo, but now I see it was an earlier photo. Clones take best when in vegetative mode, and your plant shouldn't be reverting to flowering with the longest day being 3 weeks away. If you are having difficulty with the clones, you might try using a somewhat larger branch instead of a smaller cutting. It might* help. If it is a branch, I would dip in rooting powder if available, and put it in a small glass of water... about 1 inch. This should allow it to have a little more resilience while it grows roots.
I have grown indoors with 5 or 6 gallon buckets for decades, with good results. A plant will grow as big as it's root system will allow it to. A 15 gallon pot will allow a lot more root mass and a much larger plant, to a degree. The plant still has to have enough time to grow large before flowering outdoors. The larger pots come in handy only if the plant has enough time to fully take advantage of it... shorter growing seasons might not have as much luck, but as a general rule, plants, like aquarium fish, seem to grow bigger depending on how big of a container they are in. Indoors, I can see the difference between identical clones grown in a 5 VS a 6 gallon bucket. I'm sure a 15 gallon container would have much nicer results outsoors!
Just wanted to let you that all my cuttings made it, I pulled it off. I got clones to take while momma was in flowering. 10 in total , thank you for everything.

20190605 222207
20190605 223928
Top Bottom