Is it too late to 'top' my plants??

• Thread starter KTMay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KTMay

Hey friends; I'm new to growing; this is my first year and I may have messed up:/

I just heard about "pinching" or "topping" plants to allow more branches, and thus more buds.

It is now late August and my plants are about 4ft tall. I want to try pinching, but I'm not sure if it needs to be done at a certain time in the year to prevent shocking or stunting my plants.

Anyone have any tips for me??

Thank you:)

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

At that size you are definitely late to that training method. Are they in flower yet? I don’t believe it is recommended once they’ve stopped vegging. Photographs always help.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

At that size you are definitely late to that training method. Are they in flower yet? I don’t believe it is recommended once they’ve stopped vegging. Photographs always help.
agree to late 4ft tall even in veg i wouldnt mess with nothing,let them girls swing them titties who the hell likes bra's hahahah

K

KTMay

I feel like the also aren't as healthy as they could be. I used a 10-15-10 general purpose plant food a couple times

20190818 143315
20190818 143307
20190818 143250
Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Hey it’s a girl, you have that going for you. I would try to brace it, maybe a tomato cage if you could carefully put it over it or a trellis as it looks lanky. Budding will make it top heavy. Good luck

Longsmoker

Longsmoker

Hey friends; I'm new to growing; this is my first year and I may have messed up:/

I just heard about "pinching" or "topping" plants to allow more branches, and thus more buds.

It is now late August and my plants are about 4ft tall. I want to try pinching, but I'm not sure if it needs to be done at a certain time in the year to prevent shocking or stunting my plants.

Anyone have any tips for me??

Thank you:)
I always top at the 4th node..growth will slow a week but then...look out shit starts happening..top all branches that catch up and you will have a bush

20190725 170528
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You can top anytime if you have the means to keep it vegging. But as other s pointed out there is no benefit to topping it now. It's used more for indoor where you want to keep an even canopy. More bud sites does necessarily equal more weed so I don't really see a point to topping outdoors unless the strains structure is what you are wanting to manipulate.
Most do it to keep an even canopy for even light distribution.

Longsmoker

Longsmoker

You can top anytime if you have the means to keep it vegging. But as other s pointed out there is no benefit to topping it now. It's used more for indoor where you want to keep an even canopy. More bud sites does necessarily equal more weed so I don't really see a point to topping outdoors unless the strains structure is what you are wanting to manipulate.
I grow both outdoors and in and keeping an even canopy is great..but there is something about 8 monster colas from topping then one big cola and a bunch of smaller buds wouldnt you agree?

Longsmoker

Longsmoker

I grew a few kush plants last year outdoors and the untopped girls produced significantly less than the topped ones I also noticed the durability of a bush is much greater than a tree when fall comes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I grew a few kush plants last year outdoors and the untopped girls produced significantly less than the topped ones I also noticed the durability of a bush is much greater than a tree when fall comes
yeah that whats i meant by changing the strains structure. you can make it shorter and bushier.
I don't grow outdoors but I can't really see why you would produce more with topped plants all the bud sites should get a good amount of light, the cola sizes may differ but overall yield should be very similar. Of course i think certain strains would benefit from it but usually kush is already quite bushy.

Madbud

Madbud

If thats just a pot of soil shes root bound and probably wet. It gets worse, yellowing leaves, wilt, but they survive. I would not top her either.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I use it to attempt to keep my plants for going over my fence. I love my topped bushes outside. They are way too hard for me to control other wise. Depending upon genetics they can get too lanky. Super cropping, pinching, and topping are things that all help me. Another benefit, is
you don’t have one massive cola subject to getting mold easier than having more buds spread out. I’ve done both and I prefer topping my outdoor. I don’t do it in flower though. It will not recover with the same speed. I don’t need to trellis as much if I pinch stems and top during veg also.

Ph 007

Ph 007

You could gently bend her over a bit sorta low stress training LSD, use some sort of round or bow shape item and gently lean her over it to make her look hunched back lol not standing so straight

Top Bottom