is it worth going organic

• Thread starter snickers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

snickers

Premium Member
Supporter
this is going to be my second grow and im considering going organic. and i just wanted some input - if it is worth the time and effort? if so what are some good sources of info on the subject.

winta

winta

what do u mean by goin organic? are u refering soil or nutes?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
If you have to ask that question, just stick with refined minerals....If you want organic and that means a lot to you or even a vegan(non animal) feed for your plants, then go organic, obviously it might be more work than the chemical feeds but is a whole different beast when your done and puffing...
Bio CAnna, or General Organics and a few others are out there that will make it super easy for you to go truly organic or close...
For me it's worth the time and effort, but for you, that's your choice.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Sorry for being a bit harsh...they're expensive and not so expensive ways of doing truly organic gardening. Do you wanna pay for the convenience and ease of a bottled product that is listed OMRI or do you wanna play with the poop yourself and brew teas and such...
You might have a little less yield learning the ways of organic at first compared to some chemical(refined mineral) nutrients available, but if you don't wanna put garbage and excess salts and nitrates into your groundwater, Go Organic!

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
If quality is most important to you then go organic. Soil with all natural additives. Using organic brewed teas to suppliment when a deficiency occurs and to encourage flowering. This was the least expensive way for me to stay organic. I have been using OMRI listed GH products and they are very good once you get them dialed in. They are derived from mollases instead of poop so it smells pleasant. They also cost an arm and a leg. Way expensive to get the OMRI listed products though.

I'm Like Baba G on this one. It's worth the effort to me because i like to be able to use the saying "don't panic it's oraganic".

Hope this helps. There is a thread on supersoil around here somewhere. It has a lot of good info on organics and all kinds of other stuff about soil. I am going to try Nature's Nectur because of a post on that thread.

Sorry i dont know how to include the link for ya.

H

hbstoner

If this is only your 2nd grow, I would say no. Going organic is a whole lot more work if you are going to do it right. Doing it wrong causes lots of problems with deficiencies that are not as big of an issue and easier to correct with synthetic. As someone mentioned biocanna might be an option if you really want to do it. I tried it out one of my last runs and it did pretty well, will probably be using it again in the future. Good luck!

J

jockbo

I use only organic, not because I'm a vegy or anything its just that i read up a lot and thought I'd go for biobizz soil and nutrients and my results were great to be honest. dont see any reason to change.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks afatsoweezer. That's how it's done.

I will go learn now.

Ok. Got it now.

Good luck to ya snickers either way you go

S

ShorelineTex

There are lots of reasons to go organic besides just the potential health benefits and personal beliefs. And, as someone mentioned earlier, there are cheap and expensive ways of doing it. There are also work-intensive and lazy ways of doing it.

I'm cheap and lazy.

I'm not 100% organic, but I do use mostly organic nutes in my homemade mix (I use miracle grow non-organic as my base). To me, not adding any mineral nutes past the point of the original stuff in the miracle grow soil makes for a much more pleasurable tasting end product than when I used to use regular non-organic fertilizers. Blood meal, bone meal, dolomite, cow poop, and epsom salt are also pretty cheap and go a long way.

Plus, I have a favorite strain that eats nitrogen like candy, so I'm able to mix really hot soil up with some blood meal and not even have to worry about adding anymore the whole grow (flowering several days after the clones root). Bone meal added into the soil mix for my SOG does just as well as any non-organic hi-P fert I've personally used before (granted I've only used 2).

For my fave strain, I've got a soil mix to the point that I pretty much don't have to touch it for the whole grow besides watering. It *occasionally* starts running a little low on N a week or two early, but for a casual grower like myself, the fact that I spend less time paying attention to nutrient needs is worth it in and of itself.

Unfortunately, you have to experiment on strains with fast-breakdown organic nutes like blood meal, because I've burnt the shit out of a lot of plants, and a single flush doesn't always fix the problem like it usually did with mineral nutes. But man, once you get it down...well, it's been a lot less work for me (contrary to hbstoner's experience).

Now, I'm sure there are others that put a whole lot more effort into organics in different types of grows, and they probably get better results as well. I'm also sure that you can produce some really nice-tasting stuff and get really good at growing with non-organics. But, I've gotten bountiful, tasty, relatively predictable results with very little ongoing effort using stuff that probably costs less than a meal for two at a fast food joint. I had to experiment and take some notes for a couple of grows, but omg...totally worth it.

Last but not least, the taste of my semi-organic bud totally compliments genetically modified beef.

2dawgz walker

This is an old thread but it came up in a search so maybe I will go ahead and say something now. 4/20 /2012 just passed and somehow my firs organic grow has been nothing short of miraclulous.
All I can say is do it!
Its cheaper and way easier once you get the right ammenments gathered. Study all the organic mmj boards and see so many good folks will help you if your studies are put into practice.
The really hard part is finding your ammendments.
Alfalfa meal or hay cut for forage, kelp meal,neem,crab meal, rock dust, peat moss, earth worm castings are all best to buy in bulk. Try and get a few folks to chip into buy together.
One of the best things is to buy a comfrey plant for $8 from Coes Comfrey in NC and grow some leaf to make fertilizer. It is awesome stuff.
Just buy some leaf and try it. You will want to grow more as it is miraculous for growing MMj.
Best to you all,
2 dw

Top Bottom