is my drying environment OK?

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

hi everyone!!! just harvested my first outdoor grow and i'm concerned about drying...ive had to setup an extra room with an ac/c unit to get humidity down...i believe the ideal environment is 70 degrees at 50% humidity....but i can't hold the humidity, it keeps fluctuating (see photo-first full 24 hrs)...let me know what you think!!!
20190924 122623

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

hi everyone!!! just harvested my first outdoor grow and i'm concerned about drying...ive had to setup an extra room with an ac/c unit to get humidity down...i believe the ideal environment is 70 degrees at 50% humidity....but i can't hold the humidity, it keeps fluctuating (see photo-first full 24 hrs)...let me know what you think!!!View attachment 898372
I dry at 60% for 4 days then I drop it to 59% for 3 days, then I check the RH in a jar, and either continue line-drying or jar at that point, depending on if the RH reading is between 58 and 60% RH.

I never jar above 60% and I never let bud go below 58% RH.

I respectfully disagree with what you believe are the ideal drying conditions. I would never dry at 50%.

I don't know the exact science of it but I've read that when bud gets below 57% rh it stops curing, and since I made these changes my dry and cure has been perfect every time, but again this is only how I do it, good luck

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
50 is low, are you wet or dry trimming? Dry trimmed 50% for a couple days is ok but past that around 60 is best with a temp of about 17 celcius. Wet trimmed, 65 for several days then down to 60% for a week or so at the same temp.

Dry trim is better though.

420.hydro

420.hydro

I dry at 60% for 4 days then I drop it to 59% for 3 days, then I check the RH in a jar, and either continue line-drying or jar at that point, depending on if the RH reading is between 58 and 60% RH.

I never jar above 60% and I never let bud go below 58% RH.

I respectfully disagree with what you believe are the ideal drying conditions. I would never dry at 50%.

I don't know the exact science of it but I've read that when bud gets below 57% rh it stops curing, and since I made these changes my dry and cure has been perfect every time, but again this is only how I do it, good luck
thanks for the info!!!
not sure where i got the 70 degree at 50% but it was a grow site...my problem is i can't seem to get near that 60% let alone be able to control 1% of the humidity.
how are you testing rh in a jar?

420.hydro

420.hydro

50 is low, are you wet or dry trimming? Dry trimmed 50% for a couple days is ok but past that around 60 is best with a temp of about 17 celcius. Wet trimmed, 65 for several days then down to 60% for a week or so at the same temp.

Dry trim is better though.
hi (your username here...can't bring myself) i'm actually experimenting with both.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

thanks for the info!!!
not sure where i got the 70 degree at 50% but it was a grow site...my problem is i can't seem to get near that 60% let alone be able to control 1% of the humidity.
how are you testing rh in a jar?
I double checked both my numbers and yours and I came up with a lot of conflicting information, so above is how I do it and heres some of the other information that I got about it, below is a link to a pretty good article that I grabbed those screenshots from, hope it helps!

Ps. I use inkbird type controller and small dehumidifier to control RH precisely in my drying area, and hydrometer in my jars

Also this site will not let me post the link from Riu that I grabbed those screenshots from so I'm guessing it's against the rules here, sorry. My point about the 57% (the article says 55%) is in the screen grabs

Screenshot 20190924 224408 Chrome
Screenshot 20190924 224334 Chrome
Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Correction: Above I meant humidifier, not dehumidifier. The inkbird controls both but those small dehueys are crap and I don't use it anymore

Latest posts

Top Bottom