is my Mycorrhizae alive?

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

OP, suggest you google up what these critters do. They aren't fertilizer, and in most situations, I would expect no perceptible effect. They are only relevant if you have raw organic nutrient components (shit, wood debris, etc) that have been sterilized. In that precise case, adding these bugs would start the decomposition process. Even then, their benefit is delivered over a long time, as they break down the organic material and free the nitrogen that is locked up there. If the components weren't sterilized, the bugs are likely already there, adding them would have no effect.

I don't get people that add shit to their grow without first understanding what it's supposed to do.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think this says it best:

In recent years the potential application of cultivating soil fungal biodiversity to improve soil quality and increase productivity of agricultural ecosystems has been highlighted as a new and very promising development in plant productivity (Bagyaraj and Ashwin, 2017), which may come be called ‘the 2nd Green Revolution.’ The implementation of such solutions may offer an alternative to the current overuse of fertilizers toward more sophisticated manipulations of plant productivity. Fungi participate in decomposition of organic matter and deliver nutrients for plant growth. Their role is very important in plant protection against pathogenic microorganisms as biological agents, which influences soil health (Frąc et al., 2015).

For agriculture not container gardening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom