Is my seed shot or do I wait?

• Thread starter azbassist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

azbassist

I started germinating 2 Afghan autos from ILGM using their 'preferred method' as to ensure the warranty (I know this isn't a preferred method by most of you). Soaked a cup of water for 72 hours. 1 was ready to plant but the other wasn't. I put the other in wet paper towels for 2 more days and she is split wide open, I can see the taproot, but it's not really growing (she's got an innie lol). Is this seed shot? Should I plant her, give her more time to germinate, or toss and get the replacement seed? Thoughts?

Is my seed shot or do i wait

M

monkey47

Thats a death seed my friend. To much moisture.
I place my seeds in a glas of phd water (6) and i put a piece of carton on top of the glas and put them in my grow room so the temperature is nice and warm. the moment they sprout (2-3 days) I put them in rockwool to germinate them because rockwool has a verry high air ratio while keeping moist which is what you want. I presoak the rockwool voor +-12 hours in ph 5.5 water with some root stimulator. by the time the rockwool is dried out they are ready to plant in their permenant medium.

You should never ever put seedlings in a propegator. Propegators are for clones. You can use a heating thing to warm them tough.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Throw it in the dirt and see what happens! Monkey is probably right, but you never know. As far as your claim with IL,GM, it germinated! If it cracks open, it’s germinated! But you can probably still bullshit them! Good luck

A

azbassist

Throw it in the dirt and see what happens! Monkey is probably right, but you never know. As far as your claim with IL,GM, it germinated! If it cracks open, it’s germinated! But you can probably still bullshit them! Good luck
Thanks for the input. Do you have experience with ILGM in this area? So far I had 1 Mowie Wowie do the same thing and they said they would replace it after I finish my current grow and see if the rest germinate. I reached out to them and they said either plant or continue in a paper towel, but didn't mention replacing it this time. Just wondering if they are pretty good with their warranty or if there is a better option out there. Thanks!

Lexstar66

Lexstar66

Thanks for the input. Do you have experience with ILGM in this area? So far I had 1 Mowie Wowie do the same thing and they said they would replace it after I finish my current grow and see if the rest germinate. I reached out to them and they said either plant or continue in a paper towel, but didn't mention replacing it this time. Just wondering if they are pretty good with their warranty or if there is a better option out there. Thanks!
Never bought from ILGN. Too pricey. Hear nothing but good things though.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

12-18 hours in water is plenty, if the seeds sink, i take then out sooner. No paper towel, soak and then right into dirt
also its way better to buy from small seed banks or direct from breeders. I really like Greenpoint if you are looking for good stuff on the cheap. They are running reverse auctions of all their seeds this weekend

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
No, not for one seed! And even if it was for 20 I wouldn’t give them the chance to fuck me over again! I grow outdoors! Can’t afford screw ups like that! When I first started growers choice screwed up An order! Offered me a store credit! I said no, thanks! Became a lot more choosy about who I did business with!

B

Budclarkson

I started germinating 2 Afghan autos from ILGM using their 'preferred method' as to ensure the warranty (I know this isn't a preferred method by most of you). Soaked a cup of water for 72 hours. 1 was ready to plant but the other wasn't. I put the other in wet paper towels for 2 more days and she is split wide open, I can see the taproot, but it's not really growing (she's got an innie lol). Is this seed shot? Should I plant her, give her more time to germinate, or toss and get the replacement seed? Thoughts?

View attachment 2135571
That PT looks way to wet to me. Should be damp. I fold it loosely over the seed and try to let it breath. I place the folded PT in a quart or gallon baggie and blow it up with air. 24 hours and they sprouted with a tail then plant in soil.

I do the PT after soaking 24 hours in Poland spring water.

Gtglicky3

Gtglicky3

I don’t put them in water I just put them in a folded damp paper towel in a small case on my light they usually pop with in 48 hours I check them in the mornings. If you hold up the paper towel and it drips it’s to wet

Newty

Newty

I buy bottled spring water from the store and is all I use during germination and while in solo cups, I only water with a spray bottle also until transplanted out of solo cups into final planter.

I put water in a shot glass, I place the shot glass on top of one of my ball python cages because the radiant heat panel keeps the top of the cage warm with a consistent temp.

After the water has time to warm up, I place seeds in the shot glass and soak for 14-16 hours.

I fold 2 paper towels into triangles. I spray the bottom of 1 of the triangles (still using bottled spring water) and lay it on a Tupperware lid, I then spray the top of it and lay the seeds on. I spray the bottom of the 2nd paper towel triangle and gently lay it on top of the seeds so air can still get to them and then spray the top of it. I then place it back on top of a ball python cage to keep warm and spray when needed. I keep spray bottle on top of ball python cage also, this way the water in the spray bottle stays warm.

I don't put mine in a bag because I want the air flow, I put them on a Tupperware lid so when I spray the paper towels then the lid also gets wet.

This method has never failed me, I've had slow growers but the only seeds that failed to germinate were either from bag bud or seeds that were old/stored improperly.

72 hours seems like a long time to soak, from the time I start soaking them to the time I have a 1/2" tap root and put them in solo cups is anywhere from 30-50 hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom