Is My Source Of Compost Safe To Use?

• Thread starter herbmonger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
herbmonger

herbmonger

Hello THCfarmer,

Up on the free section on craigslist is some well-rotted horse manure compost. It comes from the local Horsemen's Association. Is there any real reason not to use this loosen up my loamy clay soil?

I've read a bit about deworming medication, and sodium build-up if the manure was pulled from stalls (urine content)

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Thank you

Homesteader

Homesteader

Free is the best price. Add some gypsum for the salt issue then mix it in and let it sit in the rain for a time to work in to your soil.

Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes free is good and yes compost it down further with other carbon imputs it should be fine like Homestead said ad some gypsum.

herbmonger

herbmonger

Right on! I'll be picking it up and working it into the garden tomorrow. I'm sure there will be a couple of nice rains in the next month while I'm waiting to plant.

How much Gypsum would be suggested to add per cubic foot or gallon? I'd naturally be inclined to lightly coat the surface area before tilling in as deeply as possible

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Right on! I'll be picking it up and working it into the garden tomorrow. I'm sure there will be a couple of nice rains in the next month while I'm waiting to plant.

How much Gypsum would be suggested to add per cubic foot or gallon? I'd naturally be inclined to lightly coat the surface area before tilling in as deeply as possible
About 80 to 120 gms per meter so a handful is about that much

herbmonger

herbmonger

Perfect. Thank you to both of you. Lastly, would you be concerned about gypsum harming the myco/mycellium at all? I'm very into my fungus and microbes

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Only if you over do the application of gypsum first thing you need to do is do ph test on your native soil you intend to amend with the horse exhaust .

herbmonger

herbmonger

That puts me in the right direction. Thank you again! My native soil is loamy clay so I know that it will be somewhat alkaline. I will test some i have here with some apple cider vinegar to see if it fizzes or not

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
That puts me in the right direction. Thank you again! My native soil is loamy clay so I know that it will be somewhat alkaline. I will test some i have here with some apple cider vinegar to see if it fizzes or not
If you have clay in your soil then gypsum will help there is lots of colloidal minerals in clay there just stacked on top of each other in a flat type of make up not like ped form as in friable soil types I have the same types of soils here .

herbmonger

herbmonger

Most definitely. That's also what I'm using the composted manure for.

So I got very minimal fizz mixing the soil with apple cider vinegar. So that leads me to believe that the native soil for my outdoor garden is only slightly alkaline..?

I will make a pile with the compost on top of where i intend to plant; add gypsum, turn and leave for a rain or two. (or water generously if it stays sunny)

My plan is to use compost in the soil and drench it with large amounts of bacteria/fungal teas. It's been said that fungi can help keep roots happy in clay soil due to their sponginess. Not to mention their role in the nutrient cycle/food web

Top Bottom