Is My Tap Water Okay To Use?

• Thread starter Lankyone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lankyone

Hi guys,

Basically, I'm wondering if my tap water is okay to use for my plants if I regulate it's pH level. I think the ppm of it might be too high, so that makes me worry about using it.

Screenshots of all info of the tap water attached bellow.

Thanks.

Is my tap water okay to use
Is my tap water okay to use 2
Is my tap water okay to use 3
Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

TDS is 460. That’s pretty high man to start out with. But you haven’t said anything about your grow medium, style of grow or anything. A built living soil is gonna be much more forgiving to the water you put in than say a Dwc set up

L

Lankyone

TDS is 460. That’s pretty high man to start out with. But you haven’t said anything about your grow medium, style of grow or anything. A built living soil is gonna be much more forgiving to the water you put in than say a Dwc set up

I'm growing in Coco Coir. Basically just started flowering a day ago, and vegged from cups>1G> to now 3G pots

5 plants

Using 1x 1000w MH/HPS for the light

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I'm growing in Coco Coir. Basically just started flowering a day ago, and vegged from cups>1G> to now 3G pots

5 plants

Using 1x 1000w MH/HPS for the light
Ya. I mean it will work but you’re not gonna want to add as much nutrients. I’d use RO or filtered water at least if possible.

L

Lankyone

Ya. I mean it will work but you’re not gonna want to add as much nutrients. I’d use RO or filtered water at least if possible.

It's my first run, and I've been doing that thus far bro. I've been going to the store and chugging these one gallon r/o waters back to my place, but it's getting to the point where I'm going to need to water twice a day for flowering. So I don't see myself being able to keep doing this any longer.

For some context, my nutes are Canna Coco A+B. I've been told to not exceed half the dosage even all throughout flowering.(Started out with 1/4th for veg, and worked up to 1/2th the dosage now)

In addition to this, I bought a product called Flower Fuel that I was told I need to administer to my solutions for feeding after week 1 of flowering. I was told to do half the little spoon that for the dosage.

Basically, the situation with this right now is that I'm going to see how exactly this combo of nute dosage+bloom affects the plants, and lower nute dosage accordingly if I see burn on leafs. Was told 1/2th the dosage isn't going to be a problem though.

Monster762

Monster762

Ph high. Way high for straight coco. But that probably drops when you add nutes. I have same issues with water here. Do not buy a purifier for sink. I just wasted $60 and even bought extra filters to find out the ph goes up and ppm almost doubled after passing through filter. I buy 60 cent gallons of Walmart spring or purified water. I have 5 gal jugs I mix it about 50/50 with tap it drops all the numbers but still have to adjust ph. Works good but annoying having to buy ton of gallons.
Does anyone know if a reasonable system to purify tap?

L

Lankyone

Ph high. Way high for straight coco. But that probably drops when you add nutes. I have same issues with water here. Do not buy a purifier for sink. I just wasted $60 and even bought extra filters to find out the ph goes up and ppm almost doubled after passing through filter. I buy 60 cent gallons of Walmart spring or purified water. I have 5 gal jugs I mix it about 50/50 with tap it drops all the numbers but still have to adjust ph. Works good but annoying having to buy ton of gallons.
Does anyone know if a reasonable system to purify tap?

That's a pretty damn good idea. Really didn't think of doing that even. We're in the same boat here bro.. I'm sick of runnin back to my place with 6x 1 gallon jugs lol!

Didn't even know that about filtering though. Now that option is thrown out the window for me, so I thank you for that info you gave.

If pH is the only factor here, it's easily solvable because I have 2 gallons of pH Down here. I'm pretty much just worried about the ppm.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

That's a pretty damn good idea. Really didn't think of doing that even. We're in the same boat here bro.. I'm sick of runnin back to my place with 6x 1 gallon jugs lol!

Didn't even know that about filtering though. Now that option is thrown out the window for me, so I thank you for that info you gave.

If pH is the only factor here, it's easily solvable because I have 2 gallons of pH Down here. I'm pretty much just worried about the ppm.
I was doing the same and got sick of it too. It was cool in veg, but now I'm on week 7 of flower and they seem to drink a lot more. I said fuck it and just kinda eased them into it by mixing my tap water with distilled water. But I think I'm just gonna go straight tap water on my next grow. But I'm in soil so it's probably not as sensitive to it.

L

Lankyone

I was doing the same and got sick of it too. It was cool in veg, but now I'm on week 7 of flower and they seem to drink a lot more. I said fuck it and just kinda eased them into it by mixing my tap water with distilled water. But I think I'm just gonna go straight tap water on my next grow. But I'm in soil so it's probably not as sensitive to it.

Yeah bro. Basically, with coco I need to water til 10-20% runoff. I was told I'd be needing to water them twice a day at some point during flowering, so evidently I need to come up with a solution here.

I'm using feminized seeds. Don't know anything about soil. When I got into this I was told to purchase Coco Coir.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Yeah bro. Basically, with coco I need to water til 10-20% runoff. I was told I'd be needing to water them twice a day at some point during flowering, so evidently I need to come up with a solution here.

I'm using feminized seeds. Don't know anything about soil. When I got into this I was told to purchase Coco Coir.
Wow, that's a lot of watering! I have to water like every 3 days and already got sick of it lol

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I think if I ever did Coco I would need an automatic system to water for me lol

L

Lankyone

Wow, that's a lot of watering! I have to water like every 3 days and already got sick of it lol

It is homie it is..

I currently use around 3 gallons of r/o water a day for the plants, so this is going to be doubled later on into flowering lmao

Speaking of the automatic watering system, I would have possibly bought it going into this first run if I had known how much watering I'd be doing for the Coco. Lol unfortunately I was a total noob at the time and simply followed instructions. Didn't know anything about anything, and especially the different growing mediums.

L

Lankyone

This is my situation in full detail, and updated with the response I've gotten here from @Thejoeybrown :

Basically, I was told that soil is less sensitive to tap waters with high ppms, but since I'm growing in coco here I am not sure how it will react to this.

I made a post about it in another forum as well, and a guy said the nute dosage(my nutes are Canna Coco A+B) should be less in general, but he said using the tap water should work here. He says the TDS is 460 and that this is pretty high to start out with. I was told to do 1/2th the dose of nutes all throughout flowering, but another factor plays into the equation here.

A product one of my main mentors of my first run told me to buy by the name of Flower Fuel is something I'm concerned about because we don't know how the nutes+flower fuel are going to make the plants react. My plan was to see if there would be any burn, and if so, decrease the nute dosage. However this is all an even bigger question for me because I'm trying to see if I can use my tap water here

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
the tds is running high due to the high bicarbonate levels among other things. I hope the OP is lowering his Ph as well with 8.7 ph out of the tap. Great input joey @Lankyone

L

Lankyone

the tds is running high due to the high bicarbonate levels among other things. I hope the OP is lowering his Ph as well with 8.7 ph out of the tap. Great input joey @Lankyone

I haven't even started using the tap water yet, but today will be the first day I do so. I will begin with 1/4th of the dosage as opposed to the 1/2th I've been doing with the r/o water thus far. Based on how the plants react, I will make the changes necessary. My concern is with the combined ppms of the nutes and tap water.

I have a pH tester kit, and the essential pH Down + Up to regulate the levels. No worries bro. I use it everyday with my r/o solutions anyway, because the Canna Coco A+B nutes decrease the pH.

This is my grow thus far.

TT
Monster762

Monster762

I haven't even started using the tap water yet, but today will be the first day I do so. I will begin with 1/4th of the dosage as opposed to the 1/2th I've been doing with the r/o water thus far. Based on how the plants react, I will make the changes necessary. My concern is with the combined ppms of the nutes and tap water.

I have a pH tester kit, and the essential pH Down + Up to regulate the levels. No worries bro. I use it everyday with my r/o solutions anyway, because the Canna Coco A+B nutes decrease the pH.

This is my grow thus far.
Are these in flower now? They are gonna blow up. You’ll see. Get your machete ready.

Top Bottom