Is My Water Good Enough for Hydro ?

• Thread starter Almi57
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Almi57

Almi57

So my water before going into my water softener is at 8.4 PH and 183 PPM at 500 scale. Should I use this water for Hydro or would I be better off installing a RO system. I have installed PEX through out my house so adding it is not a big deal and if I need to add Cal-Mag at every fill I have no problem with that as well. I just wonder if losing some of the good stuff in the water is better or worse. By the way I have city water and the chorine is at 4.0 PPM

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
So my water before going into my water softener is at 8.4 PH and 183 PPM at 500 scale. Should I use this water for Hydro or would I be better off installing a RO system. I have installed PEX through out my house so adding it is not a big deal and if I need to add Cal-Mag at every fill I have no problem with that as well. I just wonder if losing some of the good stuff in the water is better or worse. By the way I have city water and the chorine is at 4.0 PPM
Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

You're going to have to use some pH down likely but you could get away with that water, depending on what's in it. You should have some tested to find out, first. If not, there are plenty of good affordable RO systems out there. I found one that I like a lot on Amazon it's this one - https://www.amazon.com/3-Stage-Portable-Aquarium-Countertop-Reverse-System-100GPD/dp/B07H2TSNZM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=VH7ZA5DJFGRJ&keywords=geekpure+ro&qid=1694289514&sprefix=geekpure+ro,aps,221&sr=8-6

Will probably be enough for a small grow depending on how big of a grow you're doing but I'd say this system can easily support up to 24 plants on any style hydro system.

I operate a hybrid custom made Nutrient Film Technique system that runs 36 plants and a roughly 45 gallon reservoir, and this RO system worked for me, very well actually. Went from 650ppm to 0-2ppm max.

Last edited:
Almi57

Almi57

I like the looks of that RO system and the price is great. My grow is going to be small.. 4 plants in a 5X5 in a RWDC system with each having 13 gallon buckets and reservoir. Right now I am waiting for a plumber to fix a small leak at my meter before the install. No getting back to the meter once my tent is in place. Just trying to get everything ready for my first grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom