Is removing lower branches before flowering worth it or not?

• Thread starter Strainer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Strainer

Hi! I am trying to figure out if I should remove the lower branches on my white widows before I put them into flowering. I have been searching and reading recommendations, but I can't seem to find a conclusion on what to do. What do people recommend?

Stokes

Stokes

I always remove lowers, they never amount to anything and every pair of unwanted balls ive seen in my tent has been on the lowers. As mentioned i would wait until after stretch.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

This may help you. There are also a few threads on lollipopping here on this site if you use the search function. When to lollipop is a subject of debate. Most folks trim some in veg, and usually do a final cleanup the first couple of weeks in flower.

Last edited:
S

Strainer

According to what I have read I shouldn't induce any stress to the plants during flowing, since it will directly affect the yield, is this not the consensus? 🤔

orggrwr

orggrwr

I'm a believer in removing lower bud sites that don't reach the canopy so all resources go to sites that get good light and air flow. That said there are many different opinions on this so I recommend trying different approaches until you find what works best for you. How much to take can also be strain specific so more experimentation needed there. One of the things I enjoy most about growing is trying different things to learn more and find what works best for my setup.

katraiter

katraiter

I would be more inclined to remove after entering into flower to determine what stretched.

Then remove areas deeper in the canopy to promote more top growth if need be.
I feel like I'm doing that right now had a caterpillar hijack my plants last week ate my bottom leaves , they pushed more after I removed some of the damage

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
According to what I have read I shouldn't induce any stress to the plants during flowing, since it will directly affect the yield, is this not the consensus? 🤔
Some stress strengthens a plant, but too much can damage it. So, the key is to apply the right amounts of stress at the right times.

S

Strainer

Hard to know what to do since I don't have much experience, but I will start with removing the two lowest branches, which is currently small and does not get any light. After that I will see how the other branches react and turns out. Thanks guys!

Lockebox

Lockebox

I agree with what @Smokey0418 said above.

This round round I removed the lowers on day 3 of flower, then again just now on day 21 of flower taking everything off that didn’t make it by this point.

In the past I removed the Lowers just at flip only to be left with abunch of larf after the stretch

Top Bottom