Is root rot possible in cold temps.

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

Hey guys...this is my first time ever growing....i have a half ass grow thread going and here is a link.....

So I went to check on the plants today and noticed black stuff on the roots and black particles in the water. Water tamps are 62 today....I took some pics of a few leafs showing problems also...this week was the first week i didnt use RO water, and I just changed the water 3 daysw ago and used tap water (first filtered with a PUR filter) wich had a high ph but I brought the PH down to 5.5 or so and added 30ml per gallon of bionacare, and 15ml per gallon of cal-mag...

Grow room temps range from a high temp of 75 with lights on to a low temp of 63 with lights out....

Any advice would be greatly appricated.....

My power went out maybe 5 days ago and below is what I wrote in my thread...incase this is what caused the problem.....

""""So a little update, well these winter storms knocked my power out for a day and a half, and I have no genny....so the roots sat in the water for about 14 hours with no bubbler, so once i could get to my plants I drained the water and they sat with their roots in no water for the next 14 or so hours.... the power went out about 3 hours in there light cycle and stayed off for about 30 hours.....

once I got power back I gave them new water with new nutes, the water was 50 degree's when I put it in there res's...its been about 24 hours since and water is at 60 now....""""""

Is root rot possible in cold temps
Is root rot possible in cold temps 2
Is root rot possible in cold temps 3
Is root rot possible in cold temps 4
S

SSHZ

Definitely looks like your starting to develop a problem. 50 degrees is too cold and will shock all the tender root balls, slowing down growth (if at all) and might create all types of issues. Certain nutes lock out if the roots get too cold, and i think thats whats going on here........

D

DazedNconfussed

50 was during the power outage....normally their coldest temps are in low 60's

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I would check for gnats too. Black specs can be gnats eating your roots. They can be hard to see if your not in there staring for a while. It shows on the leaf too. Just a thought. let us know how it's going.

Take care.

D

DazedNconfussed

ill take a better look and take some pics....any advice how to fix this problem....I did a little research and read about roots excelerator but at $80 for 250ml at my hyro store is there a CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE?

D

DazedNconfussed

I gave rep to all on this thread...thanks guys....im going to go look at it again and take some pics....so should I just wait it out, change the res maybe a few days early....do I need to add any nutes to fix this?

D

DazedNconfussed

yeah, everyone said i had a mag-cal def earlier...and actually i messed UP, it 5ml per gallon of cal-mag i used (3 gallon res so 15 ml of cal mag per res...sorry)...iLL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND USE 5 ML per gallon ever other week.....

I was thinking maybe i can go and do a ghetto filtering....swish the roots around in the water to get the black of (falls right off) then filter the water in each plants res through a coffee filter and top all the plants water off with just PH'ed water and no new nute (just changed res a few days ago with full strength nutes)...this was my first week with nutes at full strength......so maybe diluting it down by 20% or so will help....What do you all think?

B

bigErn

Fungus gnats are usually flying around the root base and getting into the root ball. They are usually pretty easy to spot and so f@K!ng annoying! I hate those damn things. They usually target the moist organic material at the base of a plant. I've cut them back by closing off any access they had to the root zone or any moist organic matter they might have wanted to munch on. That will bring them to manageable numbers. I got those colored sticky traps before, and they work OK to catch the strays.

B

bigErn

I'd agree with that cal mag deficiency too, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that closer leaf picture, but then I thought it might have been damage caused by that root zone accident.

VelvetElvis is right, your plants should be just fine after they rebound a bit. Those roots should come back around.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

my opinion and everyone has one is cal-mag def. caused by nutrient lock out. The first thing peeps want to do is add more but here's the kicker..all you have to do is get the ph back in wack and she will uptake again. You can't do anything about the damage already done, but check your new growth and there the story will be told. If you've got your ph back in range and are feeding normal, then all should be good. As for the root zone problem, Usually rot is developed at higher temps not lower ones, but lower temps in the root zone can stunt the plant. I read an log by a guy who used peroxide in the root zone to help combat root rot but some pics of what you are talking about sure would help. Hope any of this has been usefull...I'm toasted

S

SSHZ

Most fertilizers don't include enough Mg in their fertiizer for marijuana, which is a heavy user. That's why you should be adding more, especially if you use r.o. water. I add 50% of recommended packaging dose of Cal/Mag every other watering. That seems to be the right amount in my pro-mix mix. If you want to check for gnats- shake a few plants at their base- you'll see the gnats fly off it you have them..........

Top Bottom