Is spending extra on high end lights such as kind led, gavita, fluence worth it?

• Thread starter Beefcurtins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

Hi so I’m in the market for a new light and I was looking at a wide variety of price ranges and brands and I’m confused as to why certain brands have huge markups. Such as listed in the title. They don’t have anything that obviously makes them better so is it really just brand name prices you are paying for? Or is it worth paying 1800$ for kind led Vs getting ac infinity evo 8 for 1000ish? As if so why?

P

PahPahCee

Quality, name recognition, and customer service is what you’re paying for.

Light diodes differ in quality. Samsung will make the same diode and grade them different in quality. The high end lights tend to buy the highest grade.

One high end brand that is a staple is HLG.
There is a lot of great budget lights nowadays too.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

i have no idea where you've seen thoose price for both, but's that's not on their official web site both equivalent model evo 8 for acinfinity and x750 for kind led cost nearly the same on official web site for each led manufacturer ...
Prices are a lot different in Canada. I’m assuming it’s cause demand issues are different. Usually stuff here is quite a bit cheaper than the us but not always the case

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

Being in Canada I’m sure prices can be higher, whatever the Can Vs. USA dollar difference. Samsung makes many different grades of LEDs and I’ve been told by Kind that they will only use the highest grade, Kind is also a USA manufacturer, not Chinese.

There’s probably many different manufacturers of grow lights made throughout the world that will get you to the finish line, I think that’s a known fact.

BUT, some companies lights “may” get you there quicker with a higher grade of product.

For that reason I bought Kind lights for my tent, for me it took one variable out of the equation. I dealt with the Kind factory in Northern California which offer sometimes sale prices better than many of their distributors offer.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Never even herd of kind led until today and looking at the data sheets there taking the mickey with the prices let alone out pricing ac infinity lol yeah I’d pass
they used to produce blurp light, but seem recently they introduced a new line of full spectrum bar style led claiming they have a full usable spectrum per plant, tho they provide no infos on the brands and models of components they use, i d be very doubtfull with their claim of better spectrum can apply when comparing to others bar style led brands , may be it's true when comparing with their old blurp tho' ...

M

monkey47

Hi so I’m in the market for a new light and I was looking at a wide variety of price ranges and brands and I’m confused as to why certain brands have huge markups. Such as listed in the title. They don’t have anything that obviously makes them better so is it really just brand name prices you are paying for? Or is it worth paying 1800$ for kind led Vs getting ac infinity evo 8 for 1000ish? As if so why?
I wouldent spend extra on premium brands. My mars hydro ts600 is allready to powerfully for my plants to handle. Can't place it any higher. Temps are good and humidity also but the leaves curl up. My mother is in the same grow tent under t5's and she looks happy as a clam. So i m pretty sure it's the light intensity.

P

Putthataway

I have the kind 420 for the 2x4. I have ran several grows. Following their instructions I burnt some leaves. Cap on the trainwreck thread has been helping me. Raise light, raise light, raise , turn down light. Mine has 0,25,75,100 percent one the main dial with a red dial they have recommended. We got it back to 25. It would be nice to have less than 25% on the dial. Overall it has a nice build. Purple anodized, detachable driver.
It’s probably over powered it will burn the shit out of your plants.

Newty

Newty

Nice. Can that controller be adapted to other brand lights or just aci?
Work with most light that have a RJ11 connection on the driver

I run 2 Vivosun VS4000 on 1 ACI Contoller 69 and I also have a Spider Farmer SE4500 in another tent ran from another Contoller 69.

I had an issue before where the VS4000 would shut off 1-2 times a day for 1-3 seconds but ACI released a firmware update for the Contoller 69 that completely eliminated that issue.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

Work with most light that have a RJ11 connection on the driver

I run 2 Vivosun VS4000 on 1 ACI Contoller 69 and I also have a Spider Farmer SE4500 in another tent ran from another Contoller 69.

I had an issue before where the VS4000 would shut off 1-2 times a day for 1-3 seconds but ACI released a firmware update for the Contoller 69 that completely eliminated that issue.
Nice, I'll have to look and see what kind of connections are on my viparspectra drivers. Ive got a controller for my nextlight mega pros and love it. I want to upgrade those lights eventually but just love that controller so much lol..

Grower1974

Grower1974

LED lighting buzz marketing is one of the biggest smoke and mirrors sham out there.

There is no “best”, “better” etc. Purchase what’s going to work for you. Just because it’s more money, doesn’t mean jack shit in many cases. Just because a lighting fixture uses “Meanwell” power supply’s doesn’t make it better. Driver failures make up less than .05% of horticulture lighting.

Just because it’s 700W, won’t make it “better” in most cases. Especially in anything less than a 5X5’ area.

A lighting fixture with LM301B/H diodes and a true 500W, is going to generally perform up to 99% as well as any other fixture. You can find these now for under $450.00.

A light that can cover your area and maintain 750-950ppfd, is about the most anyone can use growing as hobbyists in reality. 75% of a healthy plant, will come from food and proper environment.

I grown perpetually for 4 years indoors, and harvest well over 10lbs per year with three 500W (100%) lighting fixtures. I’ve used many light fixtures and recorded data on everything involved in my grow cycles.

My current in-use three $369.00 (on sale) 500W lighting fixtures perform flawlessly every time.

My 4’X4’ photoperiod tent harvests always yield at least 1.5g/watt with 4 plants. No extra CO2 suppliment, no fancy UV addition etc.

As long as the dimensions, output, diodes desired, and price are in your favor……. Purchase the light. Hardly anyone growing at home needs to spend more than $500.00 on a single light fixture these days. 4-5 years ago. Sure…..

Here’s a current cam shot of this tent grow. These girls are always happy, on day 24 of flower (61 days from sprout), and I’m expecting between 26-30oz. They are 42-55” tall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom