Is there a minimum height for DWC reservoir?

• Thread starter geemonty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

I have been growing in soil for about a year but just started my first DWC grow which is doing amazing and I am loving the method. I am going to change my second grow to DWC as well but I have some height constraints in the location I am growing in. Is there a minimum height for a dwc reservoir? I was hoping I could maybe get a shorter tote from the big box store and make my own to get a few more inches of growing height in my space vs using the standard 5gal bucket. Nothing I found so far seems to really address this except for one post I found suggesting 10" from bottom of net pot. Would something like this or this be too short? My space is small so was hoping to get a few more inches for grow height this would give me ~5.

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
your DWC tote can be any size. What matters is that smaller container are harder to stabilize and they don't have enough room for roots to grow in water.

G

geemonty

your DWC tote can be any size. What matters is that smaller container are harder to stabilize and they don't have enough room for roots to grow in water.
Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking at these in the store and was concerned with the room for the roots and how that might interfere with the air stone etc. Do you think I would run into problems with these more squat containers? I'm am growing in a cupboard so I have a very small space so that 5" would be amazing if this would work. I guess I could try it and if it has issues I just switch to a 5g bucket.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i had trouble stabilizing 5 gallon. It's easier when its above 10 gallon

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

i had trouble stabilizing 5 gallon. It's easier when its above 10 gallon
I'm at 10 gallon per plant and it's still not enough. People might call me crazy but I'd say at least 10-20 per plant.

Top Bottom