Is there any consensus on flushing in coco? When to start flush?

• Thread starter SofaKingHigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

When do you start your flush in coco? Do you watch the trichomes and wait for milky or amber trichomes? Do you flush with just ph’d water? I have seen 1 week all the way to 4 weeks with lowering nutrients slowly until just water. Any clarification would be appreciated, I’ll post some pics of my plants right now but mainly want to know how everyone else decides when to flush.
Is there any consensus on flushing in coco when to start flush
Is there any consensus on flushing in coco when to start flush 2
Is there any consensus on flushing in coco when to start flush 3
Is there any consensus on flushing in coco when to start flush 4
Is there any consensus on flushing in coco when to start flush 5

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I may run straight ph'd water the last watering. I never got a bad taste from plants.
I looked at your photos and you get a very nice fade! I love them. Do you lower your nutrients at all in the end? What nutrients do you use? Or is it just a natural fade from having nutrients dialed in and letting mature? Thanks for the input

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Concensus.. lol, no. Not about flushing. But personally I do about 5-7 days of plain water at the end when using coco.
How do you normally judge when to start the flush? Do you go off the trichomes or weeks in flower? Thanks for your input

Fuckingatodeaso

Fuckingatodeaso

If you don't over fertilize you don't need a flush. If you overfertilize it really helps. If your monitoring run off and it stays close to input your fine without it. I cut back to half EC the last 7 days or so but when I haven't I couldn't tell the difference. I think noticing a difference in flushed is a sign of a different problem. Over feeding. When you flush and you see fall colors, it's just the plant using stored nutrients that you already put in. Plants use nutrients until the day of chop.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
How do you normally judge when to start the flush? Do you go off the trichomes or weeks in flower? Thanks for your input
I'll watch for the water uptake to start declining. Usually around week 8 I'll notice they use a lot less water and that's when I switch to plain water.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I'll watch for the water uptake to start declining. Usually around week 8 I'll notice they use a lot less water and that's when I switch to plain water.
I have just started noticing it’s taking less water to get runoff, and tomorrow marks start of week 8. Sounds like I’m close! Thank you for your input this is what I was looking for.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you don't over fertilize you don't need a flush. If you overfertilize it really helps. If your monitoring run off and it stays close to input your fine without it. I cut back to half EC the last 7 days or so but when I haven't I couldn't tell the difference. I think noticing a difference in flushed is a sign of a different problem. Over feeding. When you flush and you see fall colors, it's just the plant using stored nutrients that you already put in. Plants use nutrients until the day of chop.
Again, there seems to be no consensus with flushing.

What you're saying sounds logical, but I've done plenty of experiments, I never feed higher than 1.3, usually closer to 1.0 - 1.2ec under HID lights, and always keep runoff within 0.2ec or so. I consistently got a cleaner burning product with a water only finish in several types of media. Tried tapering back and not flushing for numerous crops with disappointing results.

I think it's important to say that I'm exclusively a joint smoker and use thin slowburning papers. For me flushed weed burns white/grey ash and the joint doesn't burn out, it has good heat retention in the cherry, and the flavour is maintained down to the roach. All the crops I did without flushing, the pot would burn out frequently and not leave nearly as clean of an ash, and lose its flavour halfway through a joint

But this subject seems to be subjective. Growers gotta experiment with it themselves and do what makes them happy.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Again, there seems to be no consensus with flushing.

What you're saying sounds logical, but I've done plenty of experiments, I never feed higher than 1.3, usually closer to 1.0 - 1.2ec under HID lights, and always keep runoff within 0.2ec or so. I consistently got a cleaner burning product with a water only finish in several types of media. Tried tapering back and not flushing for numerous crops with disappointing results.

I think it's important to say that I'm exclusively a joint smoker and use thin slowburning papers. For me flushed weed burns white/grey ash and the joint doesn't burn out, it has good heat retention in the cherry, and the flavour is maintained down to the roach. All the crops I did without flushing, the pot would burn out frequently and not leave nearly as clean of an ash, and lose its flavour halfway through a joint

But this subject seems to be subjective. Growers gotta experiment with it themselves and do what makes them happy.
I think it's Frankie (@Frankster) that posted the lab results that show no difference when flushed.
Personally, I agree that if you need to flush then you were overfeeding.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's Ok. I don't mind if you're wrong. LOL 😂
I was on the fence about it until I saw the lab results. That convinced me.
I'm happy to be wrong, as long as my weed burns clean I don't really care much how others grow.

What sold me is the hundreds of thousands of dollars that was invested into R&D by a friend of mine who is regarded as one of the best legal growers in Canada, which concluded a few things; excess P and excess chlorides used in the last few weeks produced a poor burn, and not flushing at all also produced an inferior burn. They do 3-5 days of isotonic water in rockwool for a flush.

I'm not risking another crop to experiment any more with trying to prove you can feed right to the end. And I don't even really see the point, what do you gain in 5 days of the plant doing not much of anything besides ripening, by feeding it?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think we have to remember that we grow organic and never add nutes. Flushing to us would be tantamount to soil murder.
Yeah, there is no need to flush if you're not adding nutrients.

I'm curious how you even flushed at all if you were only giving plain water?
I don't rinse copious amounts of water to leach the media, I just switch to plain water and feed as normal with the same minimal runoff and let the plant use up what is stored in the rootzone and plant tissues for the last week.

Top Bottom