is there any yield benifits from hanging your lights vertical between plants?

• Thread starter critical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

critical

im about to stick in the flower room sometime this week and not sure if i should try the vert style this time, why is it done, what does it improve? my lights can go either way n worked well horizontaly above in traditional style so i was considering the other approach this time but only if i see or here if its a good idea, dont wana ruin something already good..

R

rippinvanwinkle

eh, if i were you i would continue horizontal growing BUT supercrop your plants and thin them out for maximum light penetration. also a nice light mix with greensand...yeaah boy.

sedate

sedate

critical said:
im about to stick in the flower room sometime this week and not sure if i should try the vert style this time, why is it done, what does it improve?

This is a rather complex question.

It depends on your layout and plants.

As a general rule, vertically hung bulbs do better with small numbers of very large plants, while overhead lighting does better with larger numbers of smaller plants.

You should spend sometime reading through the MPB forum and UC forum since both lighting styles are used on these very high yielding systems.

P

potgutz

Are u a critical mass grower ??? If so what's the quantity and quality like

C

critical

eh, if i were you i would continue horizontal growing BUT supercrop your plants and thin them out for maximum light penetration. also a nice light mix with greensand...yeaah boy.

i already supercrop, n i use bat mix, thanks though

C

critical

This is a rather complex question.

It depends on your layout and plants.

As a general rule, vertically hung bulbs do better with small numbers of very large plants, while overhead lighting does better with larger numbers of smaller plants.

You should spend sometime reading through the MPB forum and UC forum since both lighting styles are used on these very high yielding systems.

my flower room wer i would be doing this is bout 2.3m x 2.4m and 2.3m tall i think, i use 3 x 600w sunmaster dual spectrum lights spread over the room, and i veg 15 under a 1000w light in a 1.2m tent until they are about chest height for about 7-8weeks from seed or 4-5 from clone, and my last plants came out about 1.75 meters tall i would say, is that a decent layout and number n size for this method?

C

critical

Are u a critical mass grower ??? If so what's the quantity and quality like

yea m8 i am, and i do it completly organicly with bat guano soil for fertilizer, and just water and love, n the quality is better than the mass that all my pals grow with canna chemicals, it is a strong smoke with an almost cheesey or bubblegumy taste mixed with a rhino taste i would say, realy nice alrounder! nice n sweet fruity n smooth on inhale, yet tickley throat on exail and a plesent cough facter with that rhinoey sort of taste, you know musky and thick, it starts hittin ya slow like half way down the joint but when it does, IT DOES! n you just go into a pleasent little bubble of your own with that almost bubblegumy cheesey like taste lingureing in and out of the musky rhinoey taste on your toungue, it defently looks the part too, rock hard nice sort of green colour, covered with thc hairs and thc cristals

the quantity, i would say i could do alot better with nutrients, but i like that pure taste you know?quality is it for me, i dont care how many weeks some1 has flushed there chems out for, i can always taste that chemicaly harsh residue on the roof of my mouth n toungue that ruins the taste and buzz for me so yea i just use bat mix natural stuff for that reason n yield not as MASSive as could be, i get bout 3.5-3.75 ounces per plant n thats 15 plants in the layout how i earlyer stated so not bad with just water love n bat shit, but not CRITICLY MASSive like i have seen with nutes, check my thread on have u seen this guys critical plants, heath robenson at it!!! legend!!!now that is the critical mass' full potential, just over 2 kilo from 2 plants, and that was with 3 vertical 600w lights in a simillar size room as mine which is why i was searching into the realms of vert growing, hence this thread...

C

critical

so, does any1 think vert growing will suit and benifit my grow? or just keep things traditional?

Builtaforest

Builtaforest

Horizontal lighting grows nice top colas, utilizing only a portion of each individual plants' full potential. Vertical lighting is multi-directional and allows each individual plant to absorb light where it would not in a horiz setup. Thus, you end up with larger individual plants on average that have more useable bud(non-airy). I would cut the numbers down to 4-8 depending on desired veg times with vert.

All the best!

C

critical

Horizontal lighting grows nice top colas, utilizing only a portion of each individual plants' full potential. Vertical lighting is multi-directional and allows each individual plant to absorb light where it would not in a horiz setup. Thus, you end up with larger individual plants on average that have more useable bud(non-airy). I would cut the numbers down to 4-8 depending on desired veg times with vert.

All the best!

thanks pal, so do you think 15 would be too much plants for this then? if so why? do you think i have enough space for it if thats the issue?

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Vertical lighting also has the benefit of not using a reflector. Reflectors refract PAR light so that part of the light that is reflected is unusable by the plants. That being said if you are not concerned with keeping plant numbers low then I think the benefits of doing Screen of green out weigh the bonus of eliminating the reflectors. Also your skill level will matter because if you are growing trees in a vert setup, if you loose one plant that is a significant portion of your overall harvest.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

I would if i were you imo. I always try to put an extra vertical bulb or two between the tables I have. I try to switch spots every week or two to uniform the canopy and put it where I think more buds can fatten up on mostly lower but top growth as well. When its said n done my lower growth dramatically improves both with frost, color and yield, I rarely get any small popcorn buds under .7. I left a little shoot at the very bottom of a plant right above my medium to see how it'd come out, it came out to a 1.0 gram nug! Im gonna do exactly what i said this run with 2 buckets goin under the bare bulbs to utilize the light space. Yeah like the peeps are saying tho you gotta watch out with your plant count and veg time adding a bare bulb will make em bush up like mosters! I like to add the bare bulb 2 weeks after i start flower after streching, to lessen the crowding.

Anyways hope that helps bro good luck with everything.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Vertical lighting also has the benefit of not using a reflector. Reflectors refract PAR light so that part of the light that is reflected is unusable by the plants. That being said if you are not concerned with keeping plant numbers low then I think the benefits of doing Screen of green out weigh the bonus of eliminating the reflectors. Also your skill level will matter because if you are growing trees in a vert setup, if you loose one plant that is a significant portion of your overall harvest.

very good point Iscrog my add. would be do 1 or 2 plants vert and see what you like clones will tell the most scence they are geneticaly the same vert 1 and horizontial the rest see what happens and if you like it

I plan to incorperate vert and top lighting this next run come along and see what happens

C

critical

thanks every1 for the advice, im guna go vert with 8 plants vs my 3 6oow sunmasters next crop n see how we go, im considering verting them and supercropping the tops of my plants snapping over when at desired height like i usualy do, (NOT TOPING), and probly klye kushman twist crimp all the nodes that grow out the plant like i combined together and tried out this crop, any1 think there might be a prob at all with that game plan? feel free to input anything as advice is wisdom to me keep it kool peeps

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks every1 for the advice, im guna go vert with 8 plants vs my 3 6oow sunmasters next crop n see how we go, im considering verting them and supercropping the tops of my plants snapping over when at desired height like i usualy do, (NOT TOPING), and probly klye kushman twist crimp all the nodes that grow out the plant like i combined together and tried out this crop, any1 think there might be a prob at all with that game plan? feel free to input anything as advice is wisdom to me keep it kool peeps

you can hang one horazontal to cover tops
and 2 vert ..........kinda need that top horazontal though IMO
me with 8 girls I would do 2 curved lines of 4 plants and hang 1 vert hps and 2 horazontal on top JM 2cents

C

critical

you can hang one horazontal to cover tops
and 2 vert ..........kinda need that top horazontal though IMO
me with 8 girls I would do 2 curved lines of 4 plants and hang 1 vert hps and 2 horazontal on top JM 2cents

good idea, i already have them all horzontal pointing at eachother in a sort of mercades benz badge shape if u get me so that every plant is being hit by all 3 lights from different angles above em to benifit them more by hitting more sides of the plant n minimiseing dark patches, so doing that from above and from the side with verts should bring even better results like u say budy.
almost guna be giveing em 3 dimentianal light in a way, from ontop and the sides, now this i will be seriously considering next crop.....thanks freegrow and every1 else for this and other ideas

C

critical

I would if i were you imo. I always try to put an extra vertical bulb or two between the tables I have. I try to switch spots every week or two to uniform the canopy and put it where I think more buds can fatten up on mostly lower but top growth as well. When its said n done my lower growth dramatically improves both with frost, color and yield, I rarely get any small popcorn buds under .7. I left a little shoot at the very bottom of a plant right above my medium to see how it'd come out, it came out to a 1.0 gram nug! Im gonna do exactly what i said this run with 2 buckets goin under the bare bulbs to utilize the light space. Yeah like the peeps are saying tho you gotta watch out with your plant count and veg time adding a bare bulb will make em bush up like mosters! I like to add the bare bulb 2 weeks after i start flower after streching, to lessen the crowding.

Anyways hope that helps bro good luck with everything.

thanks budy, you n freegrow must be on to sumfin here....

C

critical

thanks budy, i think i should be kool with low numbers n big plants, im no beginer nor expert but i defo no quite a bit bout this precious plant n i always take care of mine like my own babys, plus i already grow quite big, and i only ever lost 2 plants n that was outdoors, to mould wer i left em to long to get as mature as possible n it rained for 3 weeks solid, my donkey dick whole arm size buds soaked it all up n yea u know what that equals...MOULD. apart from that all my projects i have done have been closely guided to a brilliant outcome so i think i hopefully should be ok to vert a few trees, thanks for input

Latest posts

Top Bottom