Is This A Calcium Deficiency?

• Thread starter mole83
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mole83

Last few days my clones have started to show almost a blackening of mid and lower leaves with even new growth showing early signs of dark crispy patches on leaves. The lower leaves curl upwards also.

Details - 4 widow/bigbud clones in rock wool with 2 in each gt205 tanks.

Light - Large 450 watt Mars LED reflector around 30 inches from clones.

Nutrients - Dutch pro A + B 2.5ml per litre (lowest recomended) plus 1ml per litre multi total and root grow and then 0.5ml per litre of cal-mag. this equates to an ec of around 1.4 - 1.5 and the PH is around 5.8 - 6.0.

I looked around on web but just can't find an exact match and surely it can't be a calcium deficiency with my additives? Any ideas? The very bottom leaf on led pic is just knackered from cutting stage so dont look into that one to much its all others.
Is this a calcium deficiency Is this a calcium deficiency 4

Is this a calcium deficiency 2
Is this a calcium deficiency 3
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I cannot agree with those diagnostic photos and results. I can cite examples, but I'm just going to say that I disagree with some of their statements.

@mole83 -- without really being able to tell where on the plant that has occurred, I'm landing on P- or K-.

Saerimmner

Saerimmner

Can I get a link to that please?

I can't read the fine print.
Thanks!
Nevermind, I just read the bottom lol.

you have to click on the pic then it gets bigger so you can view it properly

F

FooDoo

I cannot agree with those diagnostic photos and results. I can cite examples, but I'm just going to say that I disagree with some of their statements.

@mole83 -- without really being able to tell where on the plant that has occurred, I'm landing on P- or K-.

I don't see p. I do see the K and Ca

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't see p. I do see the K and Ca

Reddened petioles and the blotchy necrotic areas without spotting (which would otherwise indicate K-) along with that deeper shade of green are what show me P-. I see nothing that shows Ca-, which is a very regular pattern of necrosis, usually along leaf margins and/or veins.

M

mole83

Okay I have a few more pictures - the larger two seem to be growing fast and recovering slightly but they all struggling still. Ignore my Gloxinia cutting experiment sat there. :) I was hoping to switch to flower this week but 2 weaker ones don't look well enough

20150929 10445120150929 104515

Last edited:
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Try adding some epsom salts and then balancing your res ph, looks like it could be sulphur difficiency

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Still think it is a k shortage sea-maiden?
Mm... I think it was someone else who called K-. I thought it was a P- and it still seems to resemble that, but not quite as bad as the previous pix. The shade of green seems to be more... 'right' and the petioles look to be a nice green color. They look pretty good outside those dead leaves, at least from here.

pugliese63

pugliese63

My .02 cents.
First, I honestly think your EC might be a little high. Try dropping down to around .08 to 1.0 for plants in veg.
Second, your in a rock wool cube. Your pH needs to be at 5.5 not 5.8 to 6, although once established they can take pH fluctuation better.
There also appears to be a lot algae growth on the cubes. This could be from being too wet. Now that they seem to be establishing a larger root system this would bring the rock wool into a better wet/dry cycle. Which is why I think you're beginning to see them start to take off. The lower leaves that were damaged are now getting that crisp look while the rest of the foliage is getting nice and green. I've always taken this as a sign of recovery because the plant is now getting ready to shed the dead growth.
I generally find pH and over watering to be the most prevalent culprits in regards to plant problems. Either of these two create conditions which are favorable to nutrient lockouts/deficiencies. Calcium in particular. It's not mobile and won't be taken up when the plant is over watered. This will lead to problems which will send a lot of growers into a maze of remedies and solutions. Most of which compound the issue.
Again, looks like you've got this under control.
Look forward to seeing your results.

Top Bottom