Is This A Good Led Light?

• Thread starter Shadrock5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shadrock5

Has anyone ever heard of or used a -Blomm- yes the spelling is correct growlight it appears to be very nice with a cxb 2540 5000k cree cob centered between 86 5w bridglux red blue ir and uv full spectrum and stating 1300ppf at 24 in and 800 ppfd at same 24 in im super impressed with spectrum overview seems similar to optic 2 but hard to find any users or you tube so..... ever seen or heard of it

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Has anyone ever heard of or used a -Blomm- yes the spelling is correct growlight it appears to be very nice with a cxb 2540 5000k cree cob centered between 86 5w bridglux red blue ir and uv full spectrum and stating 1300ppf at 24 in and 800 ppfd at same 24 in im super impressed with spectrum overview seems similar to optic 2 but hard to find any users or you tube so..... ever seen or heard of it
Google search reveals NOTHING?
Confused 2
Coffee

S

Shadrock5

Sorry dont know why that tripled loke that
Bro what did u buy a mars light, try California light works they have many rigs, I have had mine 4 5 years no problems. SNOLEPERD
Bro what did u buy a mars light, try California light works they have many rigs, I have had mine 4 5 years no problems. SNOLEPERD

Well my mars 96 has been acrualy a prerty good light it does miss some intensity but i just pulled 4 zippies out of a 3x 2.5 area I had to supplimentbwith an ole t5 this run cause its losing its umph but any thoughts on optic 2 I hear ya on the timbers and all but i dont have that kinda cake for a light so im bidget conscious like everyone else i suppose. But what say you to the optic i jave seen some decent vids and they got 5 year warrenty with a 90 day return ??? I dont want to go hps because of heat issues trying to vent as little as possible

IMG 6175
IMG 6176
IMG 6178
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Here is a shot of one of my new Photon Sunboards..(alternating kelvin)..I got two of them and hiiked one up to a 400v 36v cheapo Driver and added a $10 PWM for a dimmer control..I save about 105 watts for 18 hrs a day 365 days a year..should have a 2-3 yr ROI and Like the QBs..(same diodes) efficient and bright as hell. The pic shows one powered up at different levels..(too bright for my Iphone camera, thus those bars..I will replace 2x Meizhi 450s and use them in veg..Better lights and at a savings too..Wonder where it will end..:)
At 2100 ma..NO heatsink needed..at the face 123 d F with a heat gun..

No Complaints on those Meizhis either (pronounced ME-IZ-HIGH)..seriously..LMAO

Board cost was $100 ($50 each) for two + $15 shipping priority mail.

IMG 0906
IMG 0905
IMG 0908
IMG 0907

S

Shadrock5

Sorry dont know why that tripled loke that

Well my mars 96 has been acrualy a prerty good light it does miss some intensity but i just pulled 4 zippies out of a 3x 2.5 area I had to supplimentbwith an ole t5 this run cause its losing its umph but any thoughts on optic 2 I hear ya on the timbers and all but i dont have that kinda cake for a light so im bidget conscious like everyone else i suppose. But what say you to the optic i jave seen some decent vids and they got 5 year warrenty with a 90 day return ??? I dont want to go hps because of heat issues trying to vent as little as possible
Here is a shot of one of my new Photon Sunboards..(alternating kelvin)..I got two of them and hiiked one up to a 400v 36v cheapo Driver and added a $10 PWM for a dimmer control..I save about 105 watts for 18 hrs a day 365 days a year..should have a 2-3 yr ROI and Like the QBs..(same diodes) efficient and bright as hell. The pic shows one powered up at different levels..(too bright for my Iphone camera, thus those bars..I will replace 2x Meizhi 450s and use them in veg..Better lights and at a savings too..Wonder where it will end..:)
At 2100 ma..NO heatsink needed..at the face 123 d F with a heat gun..

No Complaints on those Meizhis either (pronounced ME-IZ-HIGH)..seriously..LMAO

Board cost was $100 ($50 each) for two + $15 shipping priority mail.

View attachment 780734 View attachment 780735 View attachment 780736 View attachment 780737
those look nice but im leary of diy since im not electricaly gifted lol and im a bit afraid of burning down my house. How difficult is to actualy build one like that i have watched some youtubes but I dont realy inderstand volts and amos and driver sizes or really how to wire the leds together. Im good with cabinets but im afraid of electricity

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

those look nice but im leary of diy since im not electricaly gifted lol and im a bit afraid of burning down my house. How difficult is to actualy build one like that i have watched some youtubes but I dont realy inderstand volts and amos and driver sizes or really how to wire the leds together. Im good with cabinets but im afraid of electricity
Trust me..Ima no genius (no snide comments plz..LOL)..You buy a driver, hook up 3 wires (color coded) for a power cord (I used a spare PC cord(s)..Then 2 other LOW voltage wires from the Driver to the board(s)..all done..No heatsink or cabinet needed..IF I were to make my own fixture (I am BAD with this stuff), I would use Aluminum and not wood..Over time moisture can cause trouble with wood and it warps too..
I used a cheap ($25 Imported that can run up to say 320 watts (a 400w at 85% efficiency)) driver and it was so easy..If you are still afraid..you can get a Quantum board assembled kit including all for about $205..Lots of info out there on this and other forums too..Google is your buddy!
Note: I had that driver on hand from a previous QB project..If I needed to buy one, I would get a Meanwell 350 36v driver from Arrow electronics 89% efficiency, 7 yr warranty, and only $28usd)!

testiclees

testiclees

"500w" in a 14" x 14" enclosure is a design shortcoming.

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Bro I hear you, try this, buy a few clamp lights ($8.99 at lowes, then buy full spec 150 watt led bulbs, people don't understand that an led light, is an led light, is an led light, add the word grow and the price for same goes up from $25 to 100 or more worse most grow bulbs are made in china, u can move your clam lights around so u can get the light were u want it, you can hang your light over the canopy and use the clamp lights to realy get into ur plants, necessity is the mother of invention or at least save you cash. Ur friend. SNOLEPERD

Reactions: Ina
DGP

DGP

Yeah LED's are similar to each other but there are differences in how they radiate energy (pattern) and how efficient they are etc.

Home Depot 150W LED https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stonepo...Cob-2570-Lumen-LED-Light-Bulb-BB-30/302674408
CRI (color accuracy): 80 (pretty good but state of the art COBs are getting to 95 now for fairly reasonable prices)
Color temperature 4000k
Construction They say "corn cob" which I think means like something like this (on the inside):
Christmas decoration g12 led corn cob light 350x350

This style of construction with LEDs on the sides makes for a wide distribution of light instead of focused which means it will be less efficient at covering your space but WILL work. I suppose they are designed this way because for general lighting you want broad coverage as opposed to more focused light.

LEDs without any optics radiate in a rather inefficient manner (Lambertion) and so construction type matters. Color temperature obviously matters to the plants but may not be super critical to actually producing a crop (just better if the temperature is close) and the color rendition accuracy as well. An LED can have a specific color temperature but still have a distribution of colors that is hit and miss for plants.

If one wants to use the Lambertion pattern of a typical chip LED then the Quantum boards are good because you have so many LEDs scattered and are close to one another giving a very consistent coverage with consistent intensity. However, a COB style (chip on board) array with a small lens (the kind that are built into the holders) will tame the pattern of the COB type and if someone wants a more focused pattern there are reflectors that can be added to the holder.

I think it would be a way for someone to make a budget entry into growing with say 3 of these in a 2X4 Veg tent.

Lambertion radiation pattern (intensity is shown by the length of the lines). Most of it is downward but a lot of energy is out the sides:

Lambert Cosine Law 1

DGP

DGP

Also, the bulb at Lowes that is sold as 150W equivalent really draws 20w from the wall which really means it is at best about a 50 watt equivalent not 150w. for general lighting they are probably making the claim of 150w equivalent based on how peoples eyes perceive the brightness. Often the biggest problem with how LEDs are specified is the "equivalent" power. Typically good LEDs and drivers are about 50% efficient (work produced for energy in) and old lighting technology is much less.

So, if they tell you the real power form the wall is 20 watts then just add 35% to that to get the typical "equivalent" in light power. The one at Home Despot is 30 watts. My guess is for the Lowes buld b would be about 27 watts light energy and the HD one about 50 watts equiv. light energy.

I am running 750 watts of COB arrays in one room. When measured with a light meter is producing the light levels of my old 1K HPS (near as I can tell). This is why I generally use the 35% as a rule of thumb.

Best Cree is currently 141 lumens/watt.
High quality HID: about 100 lumens/watt
CFL: about 50 lumens/watt

Dee

DGP

DGP

Yes, agreed they will work but there are differences. Knowing what the differences are can matter but that was my main point. I struggle with budgeting for my grow as well and got started with free stuff and second hand lights etc. I slowly have been improving my grow over a 3year period as I could afford better equipment. Totally understand the struggle of making a grow work.

-Your plants look great!

Dee

Top Bottom