1 cubic feet small perlite
2 cups greensand
2 cups dolomite lime
1 cup bone meal
1 cup blood meal
1 cup alfalfa and/or kelp meal
1 cup gypsum
1 cup FF All- purpose

I have started to mix some of this together. i went alittle off track with the mix. tell me what you think... is my mix still good?

Already in the mix:

1.5 bag roots soil
30 dry quarts worm poo
5 gallons small perlite
2 gallons grow rocks
2 gallons mushroom compost
2 cups dolomite lime
1 cup FF Fruit & Flower
1 cup bone meal
1 cup blood meal

Soon to be added?

2 cups greensand
1 cup alfalfa meal
1 cup gypsum

Diesel Krypto mother in some roots soil bent over and tied down. she got her first dose of Alaskan fish fert and neem... how she look?

Is this a good soil mix
Is this a good soil mix 2
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why both dolomitic lime and gypsum? I'd just use the DL and leave out the gypsum. Also, kelp meal and alfalfa meal are not interchangeable, use both and be glad you did. Otherwise, looks like a good start to me. I'd inoculate with something for microbes if the soil isn't already inoculated. Oh, I might add some high nitrogen bat guano to that mix, too.

X

XmanN

Thanks Seamaiden. Haven't got my head fully around organics yet. The article says

"Gypsum is used if you using distilled or rain or RO water, you need this, otherwise, it's optional this first time, but for sure, you will need it for your recycled soil-mix."

I would like to get into the habit of recycling my soil. maybe its not smart until i fully understand each ingredient in the mix and there life span in the soil. I will adding kelp, alfalfa, bat poo and some greensand to the mix then. thanks again SeaMaiden

X

XmanN

Volume 6, Issue 1. Rev goes alot more into detail than sub does when it comes to their soils. I choose rev's mix because he recycles his soil (covers that in another issue) which i plan to do. Here is a pic of the cover...

SA400013
X

XmanN

Forgive my lack of soil knowledge Waayne. you talking about beneficial soil micro-organisms like Mycorrhizae? What product have you found that your happy with?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Some soils come pre-inoculated, such as Gardener & Bloom's line of bagged soils. I also use products like Dr. Earth, now owned & operated by Gardener & Bloom, apparently, and they changed one of the mixes I use, Organic 4. You can use this product dry, mixed right into the soil, which is how I do mine. You can also make a tea of it, saving the solids to use around other plants. If you do that, be light in the application and make sure to mix the solids into the surrounding soil well or you risk mold/fungus at the base of the plant.

X

XmanN

Picked up some greensand, Kelp, and alfalfa meal. Couldn't find that Organic 4 you were talking about. So i got the Bio-tone starter Plus. Have you seen Myco Madness what a list.... Almost got that until i looked at the price. ouch. Also got a pH pen for the soil which i just tried out and got a reading of 9.9 WOW going to mix in the above and see what happens with that number.

X

XmanN

Here is my current mix:

1 Bag Roots
30 dry Q's Worm Casting
5 Gallon Perlite
2 Gallon Grow Rocks
2 Gallon Mushroom Compost
2 Cup Dolomite Lime
2 Cup Greensand
1 Cup Alfalfa Meal
1 Cup Kelp Meal
1 Cup Bone Meal
1 Cup Blood Meal
1 Cup FF Fruit & Flower
1 Cup Bio-Tone Starter Plus

I tested the pH of the soil again and it came back 9.9 i then tested some plain roots soil and it came back again 9.9. So I'm pretty sure the pH tester i got is fucked and will be getting another one tomorrow.

waayne

waayne

Yeah XmanM I've alway's tested most Root's Organic at about
5.9-6.5 PH I've probably tested 120 bag's this year....
I think your tester is off!!!! :rasta2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom