Is this a good soil mix?

• Thread starter shaker1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shaker1

shaker1

I keep finding conflicting amounts to use in organic mixes and am hoping someone will check this out. This is what I have "cooking" at the moment with about a month left before transplanting into it....

1.5 cu.ft. of Roots Organic soil
6 lbs. Worm Castings
10 oz. Bone Meal
10 oz. Indonisian Bat Guano
6 oz. Rock Phosphate
2 TBS Espoma Garden Lime
1.5 TBS Epsom Salt

I'm hoping to "just add water", which brings me to another question. My well water has a very high ph. Should I / do I need to, adjust it to 6.5? I have been for the last few waterings. My next purchase will be for myco's and have read 'adjusted' water will kill them. It takes 24 drops per gallon to get my water in range........I got pics of my plants under sannies seed thread, (1 Kol- 1 Madshack). Comments, advice, opinions always welcome.

justiceman

justiceman

Yo shaker the reason you keep finding conflicting opinions is because there really is no set amount of each amendment. Opinions and recommendations exist but mileage varies depending on the amount of knowledge in how to use organics and the ecosystem that is being worked with. Hence 4 TBSP per gal of bonemeal might be fine for some but others only require 1 TBSP per gal. It's just all relative to the situation. Plant type, temps, humidity, microbial metabolism, o2, co2, etc.

Anyway this is how I interpret your soil mix:
1.5 cu.ft. of Roots Organic soilNPK, trace, microbes, etc.
6 lbs. Worm Castingsmicrobes
10 oz. Bone MealCalcium, Phosphorus
10 oz. Indonisian Bat GuanoPhosphorus
6 oz. Rock PhosphateCalcium, Phosphorus
2 TBS Espoma Garden LimeCalcium, Magnesium
1.5 TBS Epsom SaltMagnesium, Sulfur

IMHO Roots potting soil in itself isn't very hot so it's definitely smart that you added some amendments considering that you want to do straight water for most of the plants life. If I may say though it seems like you've added a bunch of P and Ca for the most part witch of course is awesome but it might not be a bad idea to mix in some blood meal, or high N guano as well as maybe some kelp meal for K.

If you take care of your microbes they will regulate the pH for you that way you don't have to worry about the pH of the water. If anything I'd be worried about the dissolved solids in the well water. If they reach over .6EC I'd be a bit concerned but on the flip side I've watered with .8EC tap with no adverse results in outdoor garden. I wouldn't adjust pH if I were you. If you still really want to do it try using lemon juice, EJ catalyst, or some other type of acidic organic nutrient to adjust the pH.

I would "adjust pH" by doing periodic compost teas.
By the way it's just my opinion but I've found that 1-2 TBSP per gallon of most amendments in soil/soilless mixes is a good general rule of thumb to ensure burning doesn't happen. Going beyond that usually requires more exp with the particular amendment you want to increase. That's just my 2 cents though.

Happy growing!

shaker1

shaker1

My major concern with the mix is the amount of lime and epsom salt. I've seen from 1 TBS per cu.ft. to 1 cup per cu.ft. Think I'm going to add a bit more to the mix. 1/4 cup of each maybe? Is it easy to over do those two? Also will be picking up kelp meal, and the high N guano and myco's. Thanks for the great information!!

justiceman

justiceman

I've done 1 and 2 Tbsp per gallon of dolomite lime in previous mixes. For 1 cu. ft that would be about 7.5-15Tbsp(3.75-7.5oz).

I wouldn't go above 2Tbsp per gallon with dolomite just in case cuz too much calmag can cause problems with the uptake of other elements. I can't really say about the epsom salt. I'm assuming less is more plus it's easily soluble in water so you could always add it during a soil drench when in need.

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

seems kosher to me. i would definitly suggest at least a bi monthly act brew in there. your ph issue will probably be cool if you get as much microbe life down there as possible. most of the store bought microbe packs are really pricey and are 99.9% inert! or as i call them a joke. check out capulators thread under nutes

shaker1

shaker1

Thanks for the input. What exactly is an ACT brew? Googled it but didn't come up with much.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Airaeted compost tea brotha. I mix up a batch weekly and the plants get a nice ACT drink weekly. Your plants will LOVE you for it! Check out Capulators section in the nutrient section. Lots of good info there!

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Thanks surfr for the info and the heads up on Capulator!

cap is cool lots of info also check out the fermented plant extracts great info there too! aerated compost teas are amazing. there is a couple youtube vids that will run you through the procedures. its very simple and low cost i love it your plants will love it the planet will thank you. go organics! for you for your plants for your planet! its a win win... win situation

Top Bottom