Is this a Male or Female??

• Thread starter pinoyfisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Or is it too soon to tell? Here is a full picture of the plant.View attachment 1130223
Ok it looks like they will be females but you should still watch to be sure. The yellow arrow is the stipule and both males and females have those. The blue arrow is what i believe is a bract forming (what people commonly refer to as the calyx) usually pollen sacs are much more spherical and a bract is more teardrop shaped. But to be certain, a female will have 2 white hairs extending from the bract. These little white hairs are called stipule but are usually referred to as pistils and ONLY the females will have these. The shape of them in your pics look like growing bracts but wait for the 2 white hairs to be sure. Personally if it doesnt SHOW ME WHAT ITS GOT within 2 weeks of this point then it goes to play outside with the other boys. Cant take the chance of getting any pollen near the girls .
20210601 013519
2 Cannabis Pistillate Flower OShaughnessys RBG 2
20210601 015538

As for the pics where you can clearly see the white hairs....... hello ladies! Also, hey @GNignick whats up man? How are things?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ok it looks like they will be females but you should still watch to be sure. The yellow arrow is the stipule and both males and females have those. The blue arrow is what i believe is a bract forming (what people commonly refer to as the calyx) usually pollen sacs are much more spherical and a bract is more teardrop shaped. But to be certain, a female will have 2 white hairs extending from the bract. These little white hairs are called stipule but are usually referred to as pistils and ONLY the females will have these. The shape of them in your pics look like growing bracts but wait for the 2 white hairs to be sure. Personally if it doesnt SHOW ME WHAT ITS GOT within 2 weeks of this point then it goes to play outside with the other boys. Cant take the chance of getting any pollen near the girls .View attachment 1130567View attachment 1130568View attachment 1130593
As for the pics where you can clearly see the white hairs....... hello ladies! Also, hey @GNignick whats up man? How are things?
i’m good brother! thanks for asking!
i knew it’s you! haha
hope all has been well?

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

i’m good brother! thanks for asking!
i knew it’s you! haha
hope all has been well?
Oh yeah. Getting my new blue dream, master kush, sledgehammer and pink kush moms ready for a shit load of cloning.

pinoyfisher

pinoyfisher

Thanks for all the helpful replies and valuable info!! Loving this group!

Bongholio

Bongholio

Polish 20210602 171628860

This is female.
In the middle of the plant it shows sex first.
This is as early as you can tell. About two weeks after flipping. The first female hair. If it's male it will look like a cluster of grapes

pinoyfisher

pinoyfisher

Hit them with ladybugs.
I buy a container or 2 of them from my local nursery, but they rarely ever stick around long enough. I just smash em with my fingers when I see large clusters. Sounds gross, but quick and effective.

karolanne

karolanne

i’m leaning female as the nodes are opposite of each other and males generally don’t grow that way, but why isn’t that plant showing her sex yet?
it’s definitely old enough.
i’d use a magnifying glass and search that plant for a hair/hairs anywhere or it could be a male.
I had the same though ie old enough to show sex. it should have been showed some times ago

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I use them, praying mantids and persimillis for my outdoor. Once their food source dries up though beneficials die off or move on ( if that's an option for them). Here in Canada i go straight to the source and buy from Natural Insect Control.

https://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com

They have in-house entomologists who will identify unknown insects, and, recommend proper predators based on environment.

pinoyfisher

pinoyfisher

20210711 170924

Still not sure on the sex. Seems like it's taking forever to express it's self???

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

View attachment 1146460

Still not sure on the sex. Seems like it's taking forever to express it's self???
That definitelylooks like a bract. (Calyx) it just doesnt have any hairs yet. Give it a day or 2. 1 thing you can do is just snip a clone and put it under 12/12 light right away and it will you its sex pretty quick. Is the plant large enough to clone? Take from the bottom where there are more rooting hormones present and where the buds willbe larfy anyways.

pinoyfisher

pinoyfisher

That definitelylooks like a bract. (Calyx) it just doesnt have any hairs yet. Give it a day or 2. 1 thing you can do is just snip a clone and put it under 12/12 light right away and it will you its sex pretty quick. Is the plant large enough to clone? Take from the bottom where there are more rooting hormones present and where the buds willbe larfy anyways.
Thanks!! Being this is my first plant, I'm fairly clueless and relying mostly on the internet for help. Can I make clones without a cloning gel and Coco coir?

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Absolutely.
Thanks!! Being this is my first plant, I'm fairly clueless and relying mostly on the internet for help. Can I make clones without a cloning gel and Coco coir?
i dont use either. you CAN clone justb y sticking a cutting in a glass of water.
i find the best cloning medium is rockwool or mineral wool cubes. What you want to do i make sure that you are burying at least 1 node. The nodes are where it will start rooting from.. so cut a branch off of the bottom about 4 inches long. Strip the leaves off of the bottom node and CAREFULLY but a slice up the middle, to split the stem in 2, and then plant the sliced stem and node into your rockwool cube or soil or pete puck or whatever you use.. also, snip about 25% off of the tip of each leaf. It takes a lot of energy for the plant to push nutrients to the tips of the leaves so by cutting them off you do 2 things, make it way easier on the plants not having to feed all the way to the tips AND it reduces their surface area so they dont try to store more light than they can handle without roots. The MAIN thing with clones is that the need to be kept hunid. Remember, they have no roots yet so ALL of their water/air/nutrients come from what the leaves can absorb. So if you dont have a humidity dome, then put a clear plastic cup or baggie or something over the clone to let light in but to also trap in the warmth and humidity. if you have any other questions or if i forgot something, just send me PM.
Happy Growing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom