Is this a Mg Problem?

• Thread starter HustleTrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HustleTrees

HustleTrees

CJ,

OG was just a solid forum with really good folk. I really learned a lot from that C13 grow, Maliboo would have been proud lol.

Regarding the meter, what model do you suggest? The LHS had a model for around $230 that did what you said, it was a handheld model with a wired probe.

-HT

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

For ease of use and functionality, I like the Combo by Hanna:

Not too pricey either.

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

Just a quick update, a friend let me borrow their meter and this is what I found with water straight out of the tap:

pH - 8.0
ppm - 330-340

When i tested some jugs of tap that I have had sitting out for a few days, they read:

pH - 8.0
ppm - 290-300

This sounds super high. What should I do to lower the pH?

I plan on testing a mix of nutes tomorrow and will get back with the results

Thanks everyone!

-HT

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

8.0. Yowsers. I would suspect you have to use a ridiculous amount of pH down on that. What will happen is you will pour some in, pH won't budge. Pour more in, same thing. MOre, more and nothing, then you reach the point where the pH down has counteracted the elements raising the pH in the solution and then the next drop, even if you poured in 3 tblspns at this point with no change, will start dropping the pH.

Nutes are acidic, but I would bet not enough to budge that pH much.

The ppms aren't over the top, but your pH sure is.

No, shit, I would get an RO filter before a meter if money is an issue. Get a filter, have your friend bring his meter over while you mix up a batch of nutes and you will have a baseline and know what you are working with before you get a meter.

Use pH down from a grow store. You can find all kinds of regferences to using crushed aspirin, baking soda, lemon juice, etc, to deal with pH. These are not long lasting methods and do not work well. Get the real deal stuff.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi everyone,

These are my plants that are currently under a 400w. The top left is a 707 Headband, the bottom left is a LA Confidential, they are both in FF soil and the small clone is an Afgoo cut in a 5gal DWC bucket.

They have been under 18/6 for about 7 days now, I fed them this cocktail and I noticed the yellowing starting to happen.

5ml - GH Flora Micro Hardwater
5ml - GH Flora Bloom
10ml - CalMag
5ml - Koolbloom Liquid

In 1 gallon of tap water.

This was with tap water as a base, I don't have a TDS or PH meter yet, but I know they are both pretty high.

Any suggestions?

http://i977.invalid.com/albums/ae254/HustleTrees2010/DSC01600.jpg

-hT

These plants look overwatered!

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

Hi farmers,

I ran some more tests while I still had access to this meter and this is what I found.

With 16ml of micro and 8ml of bloom I got a reading of 1300-1330ppm. This is with the 300ppm starting tap. The pH read 7.0 but this was only about 20 mins after mixing. Should I let sit longer to get a more accurate reading?

Also I realized that the water I'm collecting from my portable AC is fairly clean so I tested this and got:

50 ppm
6.0 pH

I only get maybe 1/2 a gallon a day collected but would it hurt/help to mix this with tap to try to lower the pH? I would totally use it all the time if I could supply enough.

I want a RO setup but I need something minimally invasive to the pipes as I'm in a rental which I will clean up when I leave but can't be too permanent IMO.

Thanks!

-HT

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

Saltr,

Thanks for the URL! Those totally look like what I need. I have a spare shower I wonder if I could tap into the showerhead somehow with those mondo threads.

So I fed the ladies last night with a mixture of 8ml bloom & 16ml micro in the 300 ppm tap water, but that combo read 1300 PPM. So I added one more gallon of plain water and it brought the ppms down to 800 PPM, this means I'm feeding with 500 PPM of nutes?

They seem like they are looking somewhat healthier, but only time will tell. I will try to snap some new pics tomorrow.

[EDIT] Here are from pics from yesterday right before lights on, and before I fed them:

-HT

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

With 16ml of micro and 8ml of bloom I got a reading of 1300-1330ppm. This is with the 300ppm starting tap. The pH read 7.0

Bizarro Lucas yeilds 7.0 on an 8.0 start. RO FILTER. RO FILTER. RO FILTER.

Did I mention to skip buying a meter and get a RO filter? 8.0 is high, high, high. You are dumping in almost twice the recommended micro and still at 7.0.

You want to flower out a marijuan plant? That'll do. Want to grow dope, regardless of yield? That won't do.

Invasive? Get any unit. Go to Grow Depot and buy a cheap 1/4" tubing to garden hose adapter. Pick up a house sink to garden hose adapter. Look for a hot chick in a Grow Depot apron, slap her on the ass and say, "That one's from Cat Jockey", pay for your shit and enjoy your completely non-invasive, never know it was there, dope growing RO system.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

One more thing. The Bizarro Lucas is a bad idea with tap. Those 300 ppms you measure ain't NPK. They are micros. You are overdosing yer ladies on micros.

Using tap? Cut back your micros.

HustleTrees

HustleTrees

CJ,

Well I'm convinced, the next purchase will be an RO system. I like the garden hose/sink adapter idea. I also saw some sort of "tee" that fits into the cold water line at the shutoff valve. One feeds the sink as normal the other end feeds the RO in. I figured I could handle that too.

Regarding the high starting PPM, so I should pull back on the micros, got it. How should I get N in there? Cal-Mag has some N, but I don't know if I'm being redundant with the tap h20.

Thanks!

-HT

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Regarding the high starting PPM, so I should pull back on the micros, got it. How should I get N in there? Cal-Mag has some N, but I don't know if I'm being redundant with the tap h20.

Depends upon when you can get an RO filter. If it is a couple days, don't worry about it. If it is going to be a few weeks, maybe it's best to spend $30 and pick up a bottle of Grow and Micro to match the Bloom you have.

If you want to stick it out with your recipe, maybe just cut back the dosage a bit until you get an RO.

Your choice, but I think the fastest way to nurse yer ladies back is to give them the GH three part as their base right now. The KoolBloom you can use once you are in flower, but if your plants are not real healthy, you can burn them pretty easy. All those Bloom boosters/ripeners can pack a punch if you give too much to your girls.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out or if things worsen or don't get better.

J

jakew215

if it were i. i would water/feed much less, seems like your doing it often, it should be a few days in between.

i would water then feed a very small dose of veg nutes, like 2.5ml, imo i think your simply over water over feeding these young little girls and they cant handle it.

for now i would let your water sit out for at least 24 hours to dechlorinate then use some ph down and let the pot dry out till its pretty light weight, the plants will tell you when they need water just by looking at em. they start to droop ever so slightly...

depending on your soil it could still have a ton of nutes in it also and your just locking the shit out in every direction...

i think you should chill out on the watering/feeding in short.

B

bowlpacks

Sweet, an OG'er. Those were the days, eh? You couldn't keep up with all of the threads at its peak. Mudder Fuckin' Mounties got some internet gold on their hands with that server.

Wasn't that great, logging in every day to check out how many new C-22, C-13, NGB cabs, NIMBY dressers, etc. were started that day. I dunno why I get so fuckin' remenicent and gurly like about it (no offense ladies, I love every damn one of ya ;) ). But those were different days on the weed sites, before the MMJ craze.

PG took on pretty good form with good farmers and a heated and loosely moderated political forum (my forte in internet communication) and then soap opera bullshit. It took me couple years to get back into the net weed scene, and find a new one to call home. This site kicks ass, but the thrill is definitely gone.

Hahaha I had forgotten about those cabs! I miss those days too! Now everyone is an "expert". Back in the day when you took a friends car to the grow store and NEVER parked out front. Im with ya. I was talkin to someone the other day about how mmj took the jelly outta my doughnut! ;(
Remember Old Pink?! ...and REAPER? ...and Ballastman?

Top Bottom