Is this a nitrogen deficiency?

• Thread starter BeadyHob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BeadyHob

BeadyHob

Hello All,

I am not too sure if I am having a nitrogen deficiency or not.
Just wanted to post here to get some confirmation on it.

Thanks.

Yellowing 2jpg

Yellowing 1jpg

az2000

az2000

What soil, and what do you feed, how much? (Am I seeing green stuff on the surface of the soil?).

It looks like your watering in the center. There could be dry pockets the roots are growing into (while the center remains too wet). You could pour around the perimeter.

How often do you water?

BeadyHob

BeadyHob

@az2000 Thanks for the reply,

I did not want to over water them, so I have been watering from the center and moving out as they grow.

I am using Coco Coir with perlite, using Organic dry fertilizer.
I made a mix of 75% Dr Earth All Purpose 4-4-4 and 25% Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom 3-9-4 and planet the seed into the pot.

I water once a day right now when necessary. Using Coco Ineed to water more often.

I may try to water them from the perimeter like you said.

Thanks

az2000

az2000

I did not want to over water them, so I have been watering from the center and moving out as they grow.

Yes, that's always challenging, to keep the medium wet, but not too wet (you want there to be wet/dry cycles, but even too. Not wet in the center, dry on the edges.). The problem is, the roots can spread much further than the size of the above-ground plant suggests. I've never grown in coco. But, someone who has grown in coco recently said you can't water coco too frequently.

I am using Coco Coir with perlite, using Organic dry fertilizer.
I made a mix of 75% Dr Earth All Purpose 4-4-4 and 25% Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom 3-9-4 and planet the seed into the pot.

Mixing those two products that way creates a 1-1.4-1.07 NPK ratio. That's pretty low N (proportionally). I don't do that until close to mid flower.

Did you amend that into the coco, or are you mixing it in the water and pouring it in?

Also, coco is soilless. I wouldn't use soil nutrients in organically-inactive medium. It doesn't seem like the right pairing. I.e., if you wanted to use soil nutrients, why not use soil? (Or, if you wanted to use a soilless medium, why not use hydro nutrients... feed the roots directly, don't depend on a soil microbiology to contribute to making soil nutrients available, etc?).

It might work ok. But, it seems like it would invite problems.

BeadyHob

BeadyHob

@az2000

Yes, that's always challenging, to keep the medium wet, but not too wet (you want there to be wet/dry cycles, but even too. Not wet in the center, dry on the edges.). The problem is, the roots can spread much further than the size of the above-ground plant suggests. I've never grown in coco. But, someone who has grown in coco recently said you can't water coco too frequently.
Makes sense, good to know. I will base my watering on look and feel.

Mixing those two products that way creates a 1-1.4-1.07 NPK ratio. That's pretty low N (proportionally). I don't do that until close to mid flower.

Did you amend that into the coco, or are you mixing it in the water and pouring it in?
I agree, I was originally planning on using just the 4-4-4 in the coco, but as I was reading more, some suggested the ratio.
I was planning todo a 50% 50% ratio in veg and do a 75% 3-9-4 25% 4-4-4 in flower. Is this too much?

I also amended them into the coco, I plan on top dressing the rest.

Also, coco is soilless. I wouldn't use soil nutrients in organically-inactive medium. It doesn't seem like the right pairing. I.e., if you wanted to use soil nutrients, why not use soil? (Or, if you wanted to use a soilless medium, why not use hydro nutrients... feed the roots directly, don't depend on a soil microbiology to contribute to making soil nutrients available, etc?).

It might work ok. But, it seems like it would invite problems.
I was told from fellow growers, the coco with the right PH watering with help intake the nutrients better than regular soil. I could be wrong, first time with Coco.

az2000

az2000

I was planning todo a 50% 50% ratio in veg and do a 75% 3-9-4 25% 4-4-4 in flower. Is this too much?

50-50 would be NPK ratio 1-1.86-1.14. I don't get that high P (low N as a proportion) until late flower.

25-75 would be 1-2.38-1.23.

I was told from fellow growers, the coco with the right PH watering with help intake the nutrients better than regular soil. I could be wrong, first time with Coco.

I'm not familiar with those Dr. Earth nutrients. But, typically soil nutrients depend on a thriving soil microbiology to contribute to breaking them down, making them available. Coco by itself wouldn't seem like a great host for that kind of activity.

BeadyHob

BeadyHob

50-50 would be NPK ratio 1-1.86-1.14. I don't get that high P (low N as a proportion) until late flower.

25-75 would be 1-2.38-1.23.
So what would be your recommendation for ratio for my next top dress? (Which would be the first top dress) Another 75% 25%?

I'm not familiar with those Dr. Earth nutrients. But, typically soil nutrients depend on a thriving soil microbiology to contribute to breaking them down, making them available. Coco by itself wouldn't seem like a great host for that kind of activity.
You are 100% right, I need to remember what made me do a Coco run with dry nutes. I will get back to you on it haha.
Should I do anything to help the nutes out then?

Thanks for your help again @az2000

az2000

az2000

So what would be your recommendation for ratio for my next top dress? ...

You are 100% right, I need to remember what made me do a Coco run with dry nutes. I will get back to you on it haha.
Should I do anything to help the nutes out then?

If it were me, I'd start feeding hydro nutes, treat it as soilless. Gen. Hydro 3-part Flora series? I've never grown in coco. I can't tell you what to do.

If I continued feeding soil nutrients (top-dressing Dr. Earth), I'd do the 4-4-4 by itself. Keep things simple. Cannabis grows fine with a 1-1-1 ratio all the way through. There's no need to customize the NPK ratio (given the problem you're having, and potential mismatch between nutrient and medium?).

BeadyHob

BeadyHob

If it were me, I'd start feeding hydro nutes, treat it as soilless. Gen. Hydro 3-part Flora series? I've never grown in coco. I can't tell you what to do.

If I continued feeding soil nutrients (top-dressing Dr. Earth), I'd do the 4-4-4 by itself. Keep things simple. Cannabis grows fine with a 1-1-1 ratio all the way through. There's no need to customize the NPK ratio (given the problem you're having, and potential mismatch between nutrient and medium?).
Makes sense, thank you for all of your help! This is probably going to save me! @az2000 (Am I supposed to be tagging you every time?)

az2000

az2000

Makes sense, thank you for all of your help! This is probably going to save me! (Am I supposed to be tagging you every time?)

If you reply to a post (quoting, the way I am) it will notify that person (as this post should notify you).

Hopefully someone experienced with coco can guide you. I don't know if the soil nutrients already amended into your coco will be a problem if you start using hydro nutrients (GH 3-part, for example).

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
New growth takes a little while for the chlorophyll to grow in a little. In my opinion, I think you are way too young to be seeing any signs of nutrient deficiency. Just about any medium short of plain water will have enough nutrients to get you started. If you feel that you need nutrients, I would recommend a VERY light dose. The dose recommended by the manufacturers would make a redwood fat, let alone a seedling.

MiHomeGrown

MiHomeGrown

If you reply to a post (quoting, the way I am) it will notify that person (as this post should notify you).

Hopefully someone experienced with coco can guide you. I don't know if the soil nutrients already amended into your coco will be a problem if you start using hydro nutrients (GH 3-part, for example).
Here is what organic fertilizer does to coco. And no this isn’t septoria...it’s advanced nutrient lock / cal mag def among other most likely.
21F91718 9E20 46CB 90EB AD351AA2C0CB

Ends up locking out the plant because the ph goes through the floor. It got resolved by flushing with RO water, light hydro nutes (250-300ppm) and about 150ppm cal-mag. Ph around 6.4 ppm total around 450. Brought coco ph from 4.8 to 5.7 over night.

The root zone WILL recover with a light nutrient flush.

I found my coco ended up unbuffered using organic nutes and very sporadic cal mag use. I didn’t know better so I lesson learned.

Are you measuring ph in the coco or nutes before feeding? Are you measuring the ppm/ec of the solution to know what is being fed?

BeadyHob

BeadyHob

Here is what organic fertilizer does to coco. And no this isn’t septoria...it’s advanced nutrient lock / cal mag def among other most likely.
View attachment 888589
Ends up locking out the plant because the ph goes through the floor. It got resolved by flushing with RO water, light hydro nutes (250-300ppm) and about 150ppm cal-mag. Ph around 6.4 ppm total around 450. Brought coco ph from 4.8 to 5.7 over night.

The root zone WILL recover with a light nutrient flush.

I found my coco ended up unbuffered using organic nutes and very sporadic cal mag use. I didn’t know better so I lesson learned.

Are you measuring ph in the coco or nutes before feeding? Are you measuring the ppm/ec of the solution to know what is being fed?
Good to know! Also good to learn from what others did.

I am measuring my PH in the water, I am not using bottled nutes, so the measuring is only the water. I am also measuring the PH in the medium.
I am not measuring the ppm, I was looking into doing this, just was on a budget.

MiHomeGrown

MiHomeGrown

Good to know! Also good to learn from what others did.

I am measuring my PH in the water, I am not using bottled nutes, so the measuring is only the water. I am also measuring the PH in the medium.
I am not measuring the ppm, I was looking into doing this, just was on a budget.
You can get in-expensive hydro a&b which has calcium in it and use that all the way thru bloom.
General Hydroponics a & b is fairly cheap and pretty good for people I’ve talked to.

I was using city tap water and that for me was a huge mistake. 330 ppm at 8.5 ph measured. If you’re not using RO water, this is a good time to start so you can put clean water and light nutes in them to flush out the organic crap. No pun.

What is the ph in the coco where it’s moist? And what kind of water are you using?

Top Bottom