Is This How The Proto-Buds Should Look

• Thread starter PianoStan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PianoStan

PianoStan

So, today is Week 6 - Day 1 counting from pushing the seed into the peat plug and starting germination. Looking at the proto-bud fibers under a microscope at several hundred times magnification, I am wondering if this is how things are supposed to be looking. Specifically the picture "MS-C". I'm just unsure what the small flecks on the leaf are.
MS-A:
Is this how the proto buds should look

MS-B:
Is this how the proto buds should look 2

MS-C:
Is this how the proto buds should look 3

Any help and thoughts appreciated.

PianoStan

PianoStan

Thank you for the info. The plant itself is super healthy. It's a Northern Lights Autoflower. And every time I open the tent it is visibly bigger with more stems and leaves and fledgling bud sites. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't mold of some sort. I can't see, nor do I suspect mold, but over the past 10 days or so the humidity in the tent has spiked above 70% and I can't seem to get it lower. So I just wanted to double check.

Bilber

Bilber

Hey Piano.....I struggle with humidity in the summer months.....without throwing in a dehumidifier, which takes up real-estate, I rely on drybacks.....my grow area is pretty much the outside conditions.....if it gets too bad in my area, in goes the dehumidifier.....f@#k that white shit!

B

Bdubs

Now now. It’s defense mechanism. Trichomes pick up production for many stress reasons and you’re going to have a lot of trichomes if you have pests, environment issues (like heat or too much light) or you are cutting her a lot. Because trichomes help cool, repel pests, redirects light away from the leaf and deter herbivores. Just to name a few reasons your plant may “overproduce” trichomes. In parentheses because genes play a big part here as well.

It is not mold.

B

Bdubs

Cold temperatures can increase trichome production as signal to end of season and the need to be pollinated, which trichomes help her do that. Splitting the base pre harvest increases death response and trichome production.

PianoStan

PianoStan

Hey Piano.....I struggle with humidity in the summer months.....without throwing in a dehumidifier, which takes up real-estate, I rely on drybacks.....my grow area is pretty much the outside conditions.....if it gets too bad in my area, in goes the dehumidifier.....f@#k that white shit!
It's been a crazy first grow for me. The tent kit that I bought had a severely underpowered 100w light at the beginning. And it seemed like the plant would be stunted for the first few weeks. It was healthy, but not super tall. And I had to keep the light within 3-4" in order to keep it growing at a decent pace. And even with a humidifier in the tent, I struggled to get over 30% humidity.

Then I switched out the light for a 2000w Bestva LED kit. Then the plant rocketed in height and became almost a proper bush. But with that growth the humidity in the tent has risen into the 70-80% range. But I'm not sure if the increase in humidity is due to the fact that the plant is WAY bigger than it was just a few weeks ago, or if it's because it has rained (or snowed) here for like 3 weeks straight.

PianoStan

PianoStan

Now now. It’s defense mechanism. Trichomes pick up production for many stress reasons and you’re going to have a lot of trichomes if you have pests, environment issues (like heat or too much light) or you are cutting her a lot. Because trichomes help cool, repel pests, redirects light away from the leaf and deter herbivores. Just to name a few reasons your plant may “overproduce” trichomes. In parentheses because genes play a big part here as well.

It is not mold.
As long as it's not mold, I'm happy!

When you say "overproduce" trichomes, is that a bad thing? Aren't the trichomes where the THC is actually stored? So wouldn't more trichomes equal more THC, and more potent pot? Or is that faulty logic?

I have only trimmed off leaves at the base of the plant that were damaged by the hydroponic drip feed system. The heat range in the tent is typically between 65-80F depending on time of day and ambient air temp. The light might be overpowered, although the Bestva company says it is ideal for a 3x3 tent. So that is the light I'm sticking with for the rest of this grow. My bigger concern is that the light is at the top of the tent, and the plant has grown to within 12" of it. It seems to have stopped at that height, and thrown its energy into becoming a bush. But I don't see any light burns on it or anything. Not that I'm 100% sure I would know what a light burn looks like anyway.

240416 W6 D1

The trichome picture in MS-C was taken of the proto-bud at the top of the plant.

Top Bottom