Is this mold or mycelium? Primordial growth maybe?

• Thread starter Beefcurtins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

Hey so I got a fresh bag of 20’litre family earths worm castings the other day and I need to transplant tomorrow and I just noticed that there’s what I thought to be mold all over Ontop. The dots are what makes me think it’s mold while the strands around it look more like mycelium. I tried to look it up and found out it could be primordial growth but it doesn’t look the same as what I see online. Don’t want to have to return this bag so if it’s the good stuff then awesome but i kind of have a feeling it’s bad stuff lol. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Is this mold or mycelium primordial growth maybe
Is this mold or mycelium primordial growth maybe 2
Is this mold or mycelium primordial growth maybe 3
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey so I got a fresh bag of 20’litre family earths worm castings the other day and I need to transplant tomorrow and I just noticed that there’s what I thought to be mold all over Ontop. The dots are what makes me think it’s mold while the strands around it look more like mycelium. I tried to look it up and found out it could be primordial growth but it doesn’t look the same as what I see online. Don’t want to have to return this bag so if it’s the good stuff then awesome but i kind of have a feeling it’s bad stuff lol. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks
just stir it up and let sit open should go away,..
means it’s alive and well,..

WonkasTHC

WonkasTHC

Stir that stuff in and let it rip!
Thats all good stuff right there.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

just stir it up and let sit open should go away,..
means it’s alive and well,..
Awesome thanks guys. It’s actually all over inside the bag not just the top which is why i also thought it’s mold lol. But I will take your guys word for and hope I get an extra good grow this time cause of it lol

Rama777

Rama777

Awesome thanks guys. It’s actually all over inside the bag not just the top which is why i also thought it’s mold lol. But I will take your guys word for and hope I get an extra good grow this time cause of it lol
It is mold! That’s not a bad thing. Not all molds are bad. Slime molds are my favorite. Sometimes I get plants outside that look like a cat vomited next to them. No problem 😉

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
It might be a good time to mix in some amendments. Perlite first comes to mind. Maybe some organics, like earthworm castings.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
as far as i can see the mycelium is fruiting. the pins are the fruits of the fungi (like edible mushrooms). this also means it’ll drop spores too so i’d be careful about not spreading the spores into fattening buds just in case. other than that its perfectly ok to use and as a general rule white is good or at worst benign.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Its a bag of castings already lol.
Oops! So it is. Somehow, I was thinking it was FFOF. The thought must've snuck into my brain from another thread. Anyway, in this case, it might still be an opportune time to mix it with some soil, if possible. Doing so might slow or stop spores from spreading to the buds, as @crimsonecho mentioned.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

Oops! So it is. Somehow, I was thinking it was FFOF. The thought must've snuck into my brain from another thread. Anyway, in this case, it might still be an opportune time to mix it with some soil, if possible. Doing so might slow or stop spores from spreading to the buds, as @crimsonecho mentioned.
What do you mean spreading to the buds? If something can happen to the buds wouldn’t it be a bad thing to have it? I’m about to transplant and knowing it’s mold now I kind of just want to get a fresh bag just incase. I only grow expensive ass relentless genetics strains so I can’t afford any fuck ups. So if it doesn’t provide any real benefits and there’s a chance it fucks up my buds I really don’t want to risk it.. but if it actually supercharges the soil or something and the risk of anything happening to my buds is basically non existent then I will keep the bag

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

I mean how can it spread from the soil to the buds?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
spores are spores they get everywhere and they are everywhere already but its different when a full colony of mushrooms dump its spores compared to just regular household air spore density.

what i meant is when you are working with it be careful not to make much dust, turn off your fans etc and mix it into the soil very gently and cover it with inert medium like an inch of coco.

not that this kind of mycellium can hurt your buds it shouldnt at all but you can also be extra cautious that wouldnt hurt either.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

spores are spores they get everywhere and they are everywhere already but its different when a full colony of mushrooms dump its spores compared to just regular household air spore density.

what i meant is when you are working with it be careful not to make much dust, turn off your fans etc and mix it into the soil very gently and cover it with inert medium like an inch of coco.

not that this kind of mycellium can hurt your buds it shouldnt at all but you can also be extra cautious that wouldnt hurt either.
Ah I see. Didn’t think of that, thanks. I got a grow that’s two weeks from harvest but I’ll turn off the exhaust for the tent while I’m mixing the soil and transplanting. Would you guys use it as is? or just play it safe and get a replacement bag?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
That’s money right there! mix well and it’s ready to use 😁,if It makes you nervous by all means get a new bag, but looks ok to me

Top Bottom