Is this Normal?

• Thread starter Cannabizz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannabizz

Cannabizz

First grow; I am about 2 weeks into flowering and I am wondering if I may have a hermaphrodite plant? It has the female flowers but then in some nodes it looks like male flowers. I've read that someone inexperienced like me could confuse the two genders. Doesn't the seed pod not put out two white hairs at the tip but the female pre-flower does?

The two photos I posted were from earlier but I didn't get any good photos of what I am talking about. If you have any pics of hermie plants and could share for reference, I would appreciate it. Or fem. pre-flowers that could possibly look like males pre-flower.

Thanks, they are in dark now, will update tomorrow with possibly more information. Have a good day! Thanks

Is this normal
Is this normal 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I agree with Bogart. sometimes the small, new leaves sort of look like females, but if you look along the stem, you will see the little "balls" that will turn into male flowers. The white hairs are the main giveaway. If the plant is turning hermie, it isn't usually much more than a few flowers on one or two branches. You look good, keep up the good work!

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Good Morning! Thanks @Jimster for your help! Here are some photos for clarification.

IMG 1387
IMG 1386
IMG 1385
IMG 1384
IMG 1383
IMG 1382
IMG 1381
IMG 1380
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Those are not nanners. They are balls. Full unopened male flowers.

Pick them off immediately and mist area with water. They are not open so likely no pollen released yet.

Then look for what stress in their environment and grow and nutrients may have caused the stress reversal.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Those are not nanners. They are balls. Full unopened male flowers.

Pick them off immediately and mist area with water. They are not open so likely no pollen released yet.

Then look for what stress in their environment and grow and nutrients may have caused the stress reversal.

I think it was due to the closeness of the light and heat generated when the doors are shut.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Looks genetic to me. I had the same thing. It wasn't caused by my environment but rather the genetics. Nanners, on the other hand, are caused by your environment, but not balls like that.

I didn't change my environment at all but once I got some different genetics in there my hermie issues went away.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looks genetic to me. I had the same thing. It wasn't caused by my environment but rather the genetics. Nanners, on the other hand, are caused by your environment, but not balls like that.

I didn't change my environment at all but once I got some different genetics in there my hermie issues went away.

Not true in my experience. I overpuned the lower branches during stretch and balls grew at the cut nodes.

No more pruning and no more balls grew.

Its always genetic. The plant is already programmed to reverse if it thinks it wont be able to procreate.

I have only had one plant so far i could not control and heavily seeded itself and another nearby plant.

It was a medical seeds sour diesel. actually was delicious and pretty potent. But fully seeded.

I was told later by a breeder that the breeder there is a hack.

So for me thats more than 300 plants grown as an estimate and only one true hermie that really had male and female parts all over.

As far as a few nanners and a few seeds. There would be no bag seeds if they were not common.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Well, you definitely know your shit. I was just repeating what I was told and it seemed legit based on my experience.

Funny you said that about medical seeds sour diesel. That was my first grow, and it was fantastic lol. I did have a couple nanners at the end tho

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well, you definitely know your shit. I was just repeating what I was told and it seemed legit based on my experience.

Funny you said that about medical seeds sour diesel. That was my first grow, and it was fantastic lol. I did have a couple nanners at the end tho

Well diesel is sure known to be sensitive.

And i learned about this stuff in Clarks Marijuana Botany book.

Another grower in another grow with the same seed i used may not have triggered the sour diesel to reverse.

I dont mean to blame any seed or medium or product. I always take the blame as my own grower error first. Seems like the people and companies doing this would have quality known reliable stuff or they would not have companies for long.

I mentioned the other breeder was called a hack. But it was still just an opinion. Maybe I fucked up somewhere.

I cant speak for pollen chucked untested seeds from breeders with only a brief ig history though. And i have seen disasters from word of mouth type guys.

But any classic known seed or s-1 from a good plant in a good growers garden has worked out fine for me so far.

I have a pile of what is now likely sour diesel x critical mass x blue lemon thai. Maybe i should grow one and see if the “trait” repeats.

Sure sounds like a good strain. I will call it a phrase i get from Shoresy on Letterkenny.

“Give your balls a tug kush”. Lol

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Well diesel is sure known to be sensitive.

And i learned about this stuff in Clarks Marijuana Botany book.

Another grower in another grow with the same seed i used may not have triggered the sour diesel to reverse.

I dont mean to blame any seed or medium or product. I always take the blame as my own grower error first. Seems like the people and companies doing this would have quality known reliable stuff or they would not have companies for long.

I mentioned the other breeder was called a hack. But it was still just an opinion. Maybe I fucked up somewhere.

I cant speak for pollen chucked untested seeds from breeders with only a brief ig history though. And i have seen disasters from word of mouth type guys.

But any classic known seed or s-1 from a good plant in a good growers garden has worked out fine for me so far.

I have a pile of what is now likely sour diesel x critical mass x blue lemon thai. Maybe i should grow one and see if the “trait” repeats.

Sure sounds like a good strain. I will call it a phrase i get from Shoresy on Letterkenny.

“Give your balls a tug kush”. Lol
I guess that's kinda the point I was trying to make when I said it was genetic. Even if it was caused by the grower I feel like some plants just have genetics that make them very easy to herm. Although, I did always think it would be nanners if it was grower error. I guess I was wrong there...

Like I said, when I got some new plants in there, the issues stopped, so obviously that strain, or maybe even just that pheno was just easier to herm than what I am running now. Cuz I do still got one going from that strain that I haven't harmed yet

In conclusion, I feel like if you have solid genetics, every little error you make shouldn't result in a herm. They should be able to withstand whatever you can throw at them

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I think it was due to the closeness of the light and heat generated when the doors are shut.
here is some good info on a naturally occurring issue with cannabis. Some strains are more prone than others.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I guess that's kinda the point I was trying to make when I said it was genetic. Even if it was caused by the grower I feel like some plants just have genetics that make them very easy to herm. Although, I did always think it would be nanners if it was grower error. I guess I was wrong there...

Like I said, when I got some new plants in there, the issues stopped, so obviously that strain, or maybe even just that pheno was just easier to herm than what I am running now. Cuz I do still got one going from that strain that I haven't harmed yet

In conclusion, I feel like if you have solid genetics, every little error you make shouldn't result in a herm. They should be able to withstand whatever you can throw at them

Breeders used to list grow difficulty as well as flowering time , height etc.

I guess since so many dont actually breed the plants they should put “unknown”. Lol.

But seriously. Thai and sour diesel seeds used to say difficult and northern lights would be labeled easy for example.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Breeders used to list grow difficulty as well as flowering time , height etc.

I guess since so many dont actually breed the plants they should put “unknown”. Lol.

But seriously. Thai and sour diesel seeds used to say difficult and northern lights would be labeled easy for example.
Yea, it's weird... I have pretty limited experience growing but so far it seems like when I flip to flower, some strains just busted out the gate , either male or female all the way, but there was a strain I had that every plant seemed like it was teetering right on the edge between male and female and it needed an environmental factor to nudge it in the right direction... of course this is just my gut feeling LMAO probably all bull shit...

Latest posts

Top Bottom