Is this sunburn or a deficiency?

• Thread starter 715CREEKS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
715CREEKS

715CREEKS

My friend is growing outdoors in southern Spain where they have a hot summer, his plants are outside on a balcony and aren't looking good. I've never grown outdoors so I can't help.
Can plants get sunburn outside? Are these plants recoverable?

He is growing in soil, airpots and using bio-bizz nutrients.

Thanks for any help

=7&hash=9ab7c93564d4ff423e7e9c0136b64a64']Upload Photos

Is this sunburn or a deficiency
Is this sunburn or a deficiency 2
Is this sunburn or a deficiency 3
Is this sunburn or a deficiency 4
Is this sunburn or a deficiency 5
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It could be sunburn or seriously overfed with nutrients. If the plant was indoors and you moved it directly into the sun, yes, it will burn, much like people. It is best to let them get used to sunlight gradually. If it is nutrient overload, it looks poorly but might survive if you get rid of the excess nutrients. With sunburn, the plant will recover but will take a while and the damaged leaves will probably die off, but new growth will appear and take over.
I should add that he should try to keep the roots from getting too hot. Black or dark colored containers heat up a lot more than white or light colored ones.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

It could be sunburn or seriously overfed with nutrients. If the plant was indoors and you moved it directly into the sun, yes, it will burn, much like people. It is best to let them get used to sunlight gradually. If it is nutrient overload, it looks poorly but might survive if you get rid of the excess nutrients. With sunburn, the plant will recover but will take a while and the damaged leaves will probably die off, but new growth will appear and take over.
I should add that he should try to keep the roots from getting too hot. Black or dark colored containers heat up a lot more than white or light colored ones.
Agreed!!!

715CREEKS

715CREEKS

Thanks for your reply.
He has used the recommend dose on the bio-bizz so it would be strange if it was a nutrient issue.
I have had sunburn on mine from taking plants from my tent for too much sun, it's horrible! but these were grown outside from seedlings so should be used to it.

I think you could be right about the roots getting too hot, maybe because of the holes on the air pots and being on a hot floor in the spanish sun?

Reactions: Ina
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi the black pots are heating up and doing the roots a injustice, if you can cover them up with white shade cloth or something to help reflect the heat also raise the pots up of hot concrete get some air flow around them to help cool it down . Regards OD.

Top Bottom