Is This Too Much Light?

• Thread starter outnin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outnin

outnin

Hello there fellow growers!
I have a indoor light question.
My indoor space is a closet 30 inches by 5 ft by 8 ft tall thats aprx 10 square feet.
I plan on using a 1000 watt halide in there.
I will be keeping the light high up away from the plants and creating proper ventilation.
is 100 watts a ft2 too much light?
will I get light bleaching etc?
thank in advance folks.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
My 20 cu ft tent with 400w mh light (29k lumens) + 3200 lumens of supplemental led lighting (35.4watts) Gives me a luminous density of 1,610 per cubic ft. If my 400w hps goes in 55,000lumens÷20cu ft=2,750.

Your space is 2'5"w×5l'×8'h=100 cu ft.

If you have a 1000w hortilux blue mh you would have 110,000 lumens divided by 100 cu ft. That's 110,000÷100=1100 lumens per cubic ft. That is a nice light density for that space.

I feel that anything above 1,500 lumens per cubic ft starts to put off a large amount of heat needing management.

That's why I'm running mh in flower instead of hps. I'm working on keeping heat controlled through summertime. But once winter hits, the hps will be going back in for maximum yield/quality/luminous density.

Just remember your room isn't square (doesnt match the 1000 watt lights footprint potential) so a portion of your lights footprint will be reflected off the walls instead of directed downwards. Just Make sure your walls are painted white or lined with reflective material so that light isn't absorbed/wasted.

outnin

outnin

my plan is to build an enclosed upper portion of the closet with ventilation much like a vented hood . as well the ballast will be remote and there will be ventilation on the grow section as well. 1000 watts is just a shitload of light. the lower portions wont suffer in this grow.

outnin

outnin

oh and of course flat white house paint on the walls and ceiling

Top Bottom