Is Topping or Fimming Neccesary?

• Thread starter JPGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JPGrower

JPGrower

I understand the techniques are you to maximize yeilds, but is it something that needs to happen or can you just let them grow as they would without?

dire wolf

dire wolf

I understand the techniques are you to maximize yeilds, but is it something that needs to happen or can you just let them grow as they would without?
Hey jp , absolutely , you can grow just fine without any training whatsoever........
People top or train for quite a few reasons , personally I believe the number one reason is to expose more growing tips to light , and to make for a bushier plant , but not training is not a mistake it's just another grow choice

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you could grow a single plant to fill a given area/canopy, or you could grow heaps of smaller plants to cover the same area - training is a trade-off between time of grow and yield, while the smaller plants under less time might be a more 'efficient' yield results.

an extreme example...

so, you could have 16 small clones in the same area, as say, 4 plants trained - and there would be a difference between yield, time of grow ('efficiency'). you would grow these clones straight into flowering, maybe producing 1/4 dried oz per clone in 9 weeks, so 4 ounces for the whole 16 plants in maybe 9 weeks - while a plant grown from seed to harvest might take 16+ weeks to produce maybe 8 ounces between the 4 plants. it might be more efficient in quantity and time to do so with clones, rather than larger plants in this case.

but I tend to either train, top or fim - i like their shape better. plus i need to spread the vegetative growth over the tent's canopy. but it adds time, but then it adds yield.

Seraphine

Seraphine

topping/pinching releases the side branches from dormancy. You’re pinching off the apical meristem, where all the hormones are that the tell the plant to grow as tall and fast as possible. When the apical meristem (growing too) is removed, the hormone is also removed, therefore letting those side branches grow.
Some plants have less of this hormone in the apical meristem which is why some plants have good side branches without pinching.

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

you could grow a single plant to fill a given area/canopy, or you could grow heaps of smaller plants to cover the same area - training is a trade-off between time of grow and yield, while the smaller plants under less time might be a more 'efficient' yield results.

an extreme example...

so, you could have 16 small clones in the same area, as say, 4 plants trained - and there would be a difference between yield, time of grow ('efficiency'). you would grow these clones straight into flowering, maybe producing 1/4 dried oz per clone in 9 weeks, so 4 ounces for the whole 16 plants in maybe 9 weeks - while a plant grown from seed to harvest might take 16+ weeks to produce maybe 8 ounces between the 4 plants. it might be more efficient in quantity and time to do so with clones, rather than larger plants in this case.

but I tend to either train, top or fim - i like their shape better. plus i need to spread the vegetative growth over the tent's canopy. but it adds time, but then it adds yield.

Yeah, if I have no limitations on time or space, like on my current outdoor grow, I fim twice and get some amazing bushes with really high yields, at least relative to using 20 gallon fabric pots. I do the same when I've have beautiful raised beds and have had some true trees.

frebo

frebo

topping/pinching releases the side branches from dormancy. You’re pinching off the apical meristem, where all the hormones are that the tell the plant to grow as tall and fast as possible. When the apical meristem (growing too) is removed, the hormone is also removed, therefore letting those side branches grow.
Some plants have less of this hormone in the apical meristem which is why some plants have good side branches without pinching.
Very informative. I have done both, pinched and let go. My main objective was to keep them shorter so they didn’t outgrow the supports and netting. They do grow bushier after pinching.

Top Bottom