Is training best during veg or flowering?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I was thinking about doing training on my plant with string. Ive done this during flowering before to let light get to more flowering areas. Is this effective for veg stage also or should I just let it do its thing during veg stage?

Sams0n

Sams0n

This is my first grow.. and I’ve been constantly shaping my plant since the very beginning of veg. I’m not sure if it’s best or not curious to see what’s said. Here’s a picture of mine though 2 months old Scooby snacks

1728B58E A1F8 4B3F 8354 64BB5D2D007A
265D0ABB 61A4 41BD B2FF 28F6949C1F7F
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

This is my first grow.. and I’ve been constantly shaping my plant since the very beginning of veg. I’m not sure if it’s best or not curious to see what’s said. Here’s a picture of mine though 2 months old Scooby snacks
Nice,Im in the last days of veg.& about to flip to flowering tommorow. I'm most definitely a novice & have always trained plants later into flowering to give all flowers access to light. Because I'm pushing the limits with space under my light I'm concerned that by tying down big leaves so smaller vegatation gets light that I'm depriving plant. I guess the question im asking is can plant get as much energy from smaller leaves as the big leaves because now that I've tied down the smaller leaves are getting most the light.

Madbud

Madbud

I find the branches are more pliable after a good watering. They can be brittle if the soil is dry. With the thumb and forefinger, using both hands you can bend branches 90° without breaking. You get a feel for bending and the stem rubs smell great too.

Sams0n

Sams0n

Nice,Im in the last days of veg.& about to flip to flowering tommorow. I'm most definitely a novice & have always trained plants later into flowering to give all flowers access to light. Because I'm pushing the limits with space under my light I'm concerned that by tying down big leaves so smaller vegatation gets light that I'm depriving plant. I guess the question im asking is can plant get as much energy from smaller leaves as the big leaves because now that I've tied down the smaller leaves are getting most the light.

No. The way I understand it is that the larger leaves may as well be considered larger solar panel, meaning more surface area to expose to the light makes them more desirable. But I would imagine a lot of little leaves would be just as efficient as one big one. Just make sure you have good air circulation.

jamk911

jamk911

its all preference.. its my first grow indoors.. and i just let em go till a week before flower.. super cropped em and let em flower ..been good.. but too tall for my liking.. soo my choice will be to train a bit more .. earlier.. next time..
Training in veg to me seems to be counter productive though.. basically what yer doing is slowing the vertical growth of the main stalk usually.. to let lower stalks get to a similar height.. i once did a test outdoors.. topped a plant left the other side by side.. the untopped ones main stalk was much higher obviously.. the side branches on both were the same height.. it just made the topped one LOOK bushier because its top had been stalled

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

its all preference.. its my first grow indoors.. and i just let em go till a week before flower.. super cropped em and let em flower ..been good.. but too tall for my liking.. soo my choice will be to train a bit more .. earlier.. next time..
Training in veg to me seems to be counter productive though.. basically what yer doing is slowing the vertical growth of the main stalk usually.. to let lower stalks get to a similar height.. i once did a test outdoors.. topped a plant left the other side by side.. the untopped ones main stalk was much higher obviously.. the side branches on both were the same height.. it just made the topped one LOOK bushier because its top had been stalled
Ive done same as you jam with super cropping but still my thought as sams is bigger leaves act as solar panel pulling in more light. The usual low stress training method is pulling plant horizontal rather that vertical so most nodes/plants get equal light. What i did was tie down big leaves so smaller leaves get light also. I'm just winging it so not sure of I'm doing right but what I've seen since doing that is that bigger leaves are getting shade while smaller are getting most & I was worried smaller leaves can't pull In as.much but I'm novice so I really don't know much.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

By
Ive done same as you jam with super cropping but still my thought as sams is bigger leaves act as solar panel pulling in more light. The usual low stress training method is pulling plant horizontal rather that vertical so most nodes/plants get equal light. What i did was tie down big leaves so smaller leaves get light also. I'm just winging it so not sure of I'm doing right but what I've seen since doing that is that bigger leaves are getting shade while smaller are getting most & I was worried smaller leaves can't pull In as.much but I'm novice so I really don't know much.

jamk911

jamk911

Im gonna be honest.. they do help in veg alot.. those big leaves pull that power and allow that good veg growth.. but in flower.. most of my initial gigantic fan leaves.. they slowly died off from the bottom up .. almost completely and now its just the branches pulling all the weight..
Like here.. this is like a couple feet up.. off the main stem .. its the latest fan leaf getting sucked dry of nitrogen..
Heres the canopy too.. all the branches and smaller leaves sucking nutrients and light up now.. they do well..
What im saying is.. the smaller leaves will do as much as the bigger leaves from what i see.. 3 1 inch small leaves will do as much as a 3 inch leaf imo

20200905 024544
20200905 024549
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Thx jam,I think ill stick with it then & see how it does for awhile. Im flipping to flowering today so we'll see how that does soon. As of the moment its full & bushey. Those smaller leaves are getting bigger.

Top Bottom