Is using a dehydrator to dry buds kosher?

• Thread starter Shi-ska-bong
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shi-ska-bong

I have a new friend who is also growing this season and says he uses some sort of dehydrator to dry his buds after harvest instead of letting them sit on a line to dry. He says I can use it if I want but I read that drying buds to fast can result in a pine like or some kind of bad taste shit happenin' and I want nothing to do with that so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this method of drying and wanted to know whether or not that applies to a one of these machines... I don't think it heats up or anything if that matters...

I

ismokepot

Every dryer I've ever used has sucked the smell and taste out of the bud. Natural, slow dry is best for smelly, tastey buds.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Dont do it:) You will be sorry
String em up on the line
:passingjoint:

GTD

S

Shi-ska-bong

Thanks for the advise guys, I've got what I'm looking for here.

S

Swiffy80

Let em go naturally.... i knew someone who harvested an outdoor crop last year about 4 weeks in, choped it up into little buds, layed it out on trays and left it in his outhouse pantry with an elecrtric fire going! dry in a day or two! = Shit smoke

O

Old Yeller

I beg to differ gentlemen!
I've got a 600W Excaliper 9 tray dehydrator that is the shite. It has an adjustable temp range that goes from 0-160 degrees & a timer up to 28 hours. The biggest problem with most dehydrators is they run too hot & aren't adjustable. I set the temp to 85 degrees & run it for 24 hours with awesome results. Depending on the size of the buds, i leave them in there untill they're dry to the touch but not crispy. After that they go right into the Mason Jars & are burped every day for another week. Never lost any of the taste or smell by doing it this way & i can cut 3-4 days off my drying time if i don't feel like hanging the harvested plants in my closet (my preferred method).
Last fall after i harvested my outdoor crop I had a big pile of plants to dry & the dehydrator saved the day by allowing me to fast cure lots of buds at one time.
Last week i had to carve out some bud rot on a couple of plants to save the main cola & i tried drying them by hanging but the mould came back. Stuck 'em in the Excaliber over night - problem solved...

B

bluejay

Yea season has alot to do with being able to hang dry properly....unless you are running a dehumidifier in the room to dry you might only gng a day or 2 then throw them into the dehydrator.....

To bad everyone dont vape..then we could flash dry and still get the subtle taste that vapes give...

M

MIZZ ELVIS

The chlorophyll needs time to break down. By sucking all the moisture out, to quickly dry the herbs, you will be trapping a crapload of chlorophyll(A) in your bud. This makes for a very harsh smoke, possibly with degraded potentcy and flavor as well. The slow controlled dry with proper RH throughout, is the only way (IMVHO) to get smooth delicious buds, with smoke as soft as air. This is needed along with a good cure, to maximize the flavor, potentcy, and smoothness of the smoke..........Just my 2 cents

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

done it..

ya I got a 7 tray stack dehydrater...works for jerky...NAD YA I TRIED A SMALL STEAM with about a 1/8....6 hour dry...then tried a 30 day cured from the same done in glass jars..stay with glass jars after 6 to 9 days of line drying...then jar for 30 days letting out air daily.:rasta:

the dehydrator batch was quick..but lost 75 percent of the aroma..and alot of weight.:yawn

S

Shi-ska-bong

I don't trust 'em I guess in any event, had the initial bad feeling that lead me to make this thread and i just don't even wanna risk it.

O

Old Yeller

It's pretty simple really - if you need to speed dry your buds (for what ever reason), dehydrators beat microwaves, toaster ovens & anything else i've heard about especially if you can control the temp & drying time. It's been shown that 85 deg. in the drying process won't seriously affect the overall quality of the smoke especially if you jump right into jar curing after. I've found the buds will still moisten up lots & have to be paper bag dried (although i love pizza boxes for this) even before they go into the jars.
(my 2 cents)
OY

S

Shi-ska-bong

There are instructions on this forum for the best way to drying so when I say I heard that it would affect the taste and quality I actually read it but didn't know if one of these would trump the rule.

D

david98686

I use a dehydrator to finish 'sometimes', but at it's lowest temp setting (95* on mine) but not before hanging two or three days first. I also rinse the medium from the roots before hanging so they are still alive for the first day. :)

Z

zoeronerer

if you took your time and love and put it into your product why harm it or be in a hurry .......if u have to pay the rent go for it otherwise its one of the worst things you could do.

thats my personal opinion..

my boy b would say thats something along the lines of "macdonalds weed"......

S

Shi-ska-bong

@david - why would you keep her alive the first day???

@ zoe - Lmao that's a good one

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Now that dehydrator is a REAL GIMMICK shoot style:) why ruin your bud If you have came that far why rush it..

Mizz Elvis and zoeronerer hit it spot on..

Old Yeller, That is very suprising you are satisfied with the outcome of drying your buds like that:)
You go ahead and ruin your fruits of your labors if you wish, bringing that bad advice is just not cool imo..
You can not rush the drying process.. my 2 cents

:passingjoint:

GTD

O

Old Yeller

Well, you guys - 95% of the time i hang dry my buds in a cool, dark closet with a small fan blowing on them (& i use an ozone generator in the room if the smell gets strong), but if i want to test a new variety - i pop a few samples in the dehydrator for a head start.
I'm not advocating using a dehydrator as the main curing source, but i was able to save a few plants recently from bud rot by stopping the mould from spreading with it (it's real humid around here now). The mould on the 2 stems i left in the closet as a test continued to spread untill they were worthless, so at least i saved most of the 3 plants affected.
Did i mention also that my GF makes the best beef jerky in the world with it & i have mason jars filled with dried tomatoes & herbs from last years garden. Almost every week i can get great deals on ripe produce at the local farmers market that would go bad if it wasn't for my Excabilur dehydrator...

B

BrokeBoyGrow

I have a new friend who is also growing this season and says he uses some sort of dehydrator to dry his buds after harvest instead of letting them sit on a line to dry. He says I can use it if I want but I read that drying buds to fast can result in a pine like or some kind of bad taste shit happenin' and I want nothing to do with that so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this method of drying and wanted to know whether or not that applies to a one of these machines... I don't think it heats up or anything if that matters...
Go for it brother ! I use the herbsNow dryer and get great results

Madbud

Madbud

Is using a dehydrator to dry buds kosher?
Only if you cut the tips off the buds

Top Bottom