Isopropyl/Isopropanol Extractions By Oakley1984

• Thread starter oakley1984
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

oakley1984

So this is my guide and attempt to clear up a lot of the confusing circling around about how to make oil with isopropyl/isopropanol. Hopefully this thread will explain in detail on a proper method to process with these solvents and answer any questions that may remain.

Step 1; Material and Material Preperation.

The quality of your material is of the UTMOST importance. If you start with something thats not very good, your going to end up with something thats not very good. Personally i like to use sugar leaf/bud/bottom of the bag stuff.
The quality of your material will determine how much you should grind your material up. For this demonstration we will be using medium quality bud.

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 2

Here you can see the bud i started with, 1oz dried.
The bud is frozen for approximately 1-2 weeks before hand, this does 2 things, accelerates the breakdown of chlorophyll, and locks what chlorophyll that remains in the plant matter in place. Since the material is of medium quality it is ground up as such, not extremely fine, but a mix of what would be good for a joint, and chunks that are just a little to large to roll...

Step 2; Iso quality's and prep.
do not, and i cannot stress this enough DO NOT use iso that is below 90% concentration, it is a waste of time and will leave you with a slimey disgusting mess. this is NOT what you want!

Quantity of iso to use is under great debate, for med-> high quality materials i like to keep the ratio around 1L of iso to 1oz of bud/sugar leaf, this assures the highest possible cannabinoid recovery.

So now you have acquired your isopropyl/isopropanol of greater than 90% concentration, personally i recommend nothing but 99% but that is not available in all areas. If you have to use anything But 99%, there will be some changes in the cooking process.

DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
Freeze your iso!! deep freezer is best but a kitchen freezer works just fine as well, make sure its as cold as the freezer can get it... will usually take between 3-5 days to accomplish this.

Step 3; Processing materials and filters.

This step is open to a little bit of interpretation, but the filtering process is essential, the containers are not... but i recommend them as they are extremely cheap, durable. and effective!

I use 2L pop bottles, cut like so to create a large cup and funnel. You will also notice in the attached picture, reuseable coffee filters, these are the basic plastic ones with the mesh insert <--- very important! there is also some regular cone style coffee filters with no holes (or flavor pores as they list them on package) you just want the regular old typical coffee filter. and finally youll want something to clean up little spills, wipe your utensils/tools down with, i find good old ass wipe works best. spray a lil iso, wipe, done.

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 3

Step 4; Processing your material.

all your iso/bud should remain in freezer until the very last moment.

When your setup like so;

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 4

filter in place over the cut 2L
Take your bud, and put it in your filters:

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 5

Dump your iso over.... you will notice it practically just Falls through, this step shouldnt take more than a few seconds. lift the filter and shake it down abit to get the remaining large drops out.

Take the filter with the iso'd material, and quickly dump its contents back into the bag in which you dumped it out of. Push the material to corner of bag, and cut the corner of the bag, replace the filter overtop of the 2L, and squeeze the remaining iso out of the material into the reusable filter on top of the 2L. Time is of the essence... do this QUICKLY things warm up fast and start to strip chlorophyll faster than you would think. Personally i can do my runs, and squeeze remaining iso out of material in under a minute.

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 6

Step 5; Post filtering.

after all this work you should end up with a 2L full of cloudy iso that somewhat resembles this...

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 7

this is Excellent! But we arent done yet.
grab your other 2L's and set the cut off 2L top on top of the 2L like you did the reusable coffee filter, and place one of the regular coffee filters in place.
this filtering process can take upto an hour or more, BE PATIENT DO NOT RUSH IT!!!!!!

take your 2L with your cloudy iso, and pour it through the coffee filters you have setup. the reason for this is the iso is cloudy because of a suspension of trichomes that are in it... this can be A lot ;) As can be seen in the attached photos.

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 8
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 9
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 10

As you can see its quite significant what this step removes!
after completing this filtering process, you will notice the color of your iso has changed from a cloudy color, to a more consistent clear color

from ->
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 11
mid filter ->
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 12
filterd ->
Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 13

Step 6; Cooking!

Use a pyrex/borosilicate dish.
i like to use a hot plate to heat my iso...

Cooking is an Art form.. im sorry to say but up until this point there is science in how i make my oil. at this point... its quite simply experience... over cooking your oil will destroy the consistency and very much change the high. Properly cooked iso based oil, should be gel like... eg when i grab a dab of oil, it will pull a tail, then pull the tail back up under its own viscosity.

May this guide be of use to you all and serve you all well... for those of you who would like to dispute my methods well...

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 14

Isopropylisopropanol extractions by oakley1984 15

argue with that.

- this document is fiction and any attempts to reproduce its contents may or may not be illegal and i will and shall not be held accountable for what you do with it.

KILLERCHEF420

KILLERCHEF420

:evilgrin0031:Nice tutorial brother i actually started my whole hash making journey with good old iso oil in a very similar fashion as you my best run was off some insane purple urkle and the oil actually came out grape jolly rancher purple and held quit a bit of flavor but i havent made any in a long while ive been making a lot of butane oil lately i think i may do a little iso run this next round just for kicks hope it looks as good as your turned out im a litlel rusty anyway good job brother take care and stay high

PEACE
KILLERCHEF

O

oakley1984

hey thanks everyone!

killerchief;
ive quested after that purple oil a many times, but have yet to have material with True purple trichomes...

phenotyper;
i will be posting a shall we say, upscaled version of this to process upto 5lbs at a time.

graywolf;
thanks man, its easy to make! ~13yrs refinement in that method, quick, easy, gets good results!

organicness;
i did a side by side comparison of BHO and ISO with an identical weighed ounce for each method, 600ml butane, 1000ml ISO

my returns were respectively
2.21g butane
2.18g iso

i personally found the iso based to be of higher quality with a broader ranged cannabinoid profile.

keep in mind, strains very Greatly in their return. anywhere from 1-7grams or more from an ounce...

tried on a few strains... my method done properly will yeild nearly identical results to bho.

which proves one simple fact... this method DOES NOT pick up chlorophyll in the process!

deep buddy

deep buddy

hey i tried it oakley not bad but im wondering what kind of iso do you use. i got the 99%. the only real difference i have noticed is the flavor and onset. do you find it to be different than BHO as well. i have not cooked it yet. how important to the process do you think it is? and any temp ranges i should stay in would be helpful. i want to try and master this because its seems a little safer than butane. i evap'd should i cook it instead of evap'ing?

O

oakley1984

kk im gonna do my best to answer this as im super baked and this white background is seriously painful atm haha

evaping to cooking off will leave you with 2 different textures. both are acceptible.... but i prefer to cook it down.. its faster and leaves a more workable product in the end... for cooking its really simple, put on a stove/hotplate with lots of ventilation... heat... if it boils... lower the heat :) (didnt i already cover this?) when it gets down towards the end, i personally lift the pan up off the heat source, and tilt it back n forth further exposing the oil to the heat from the glass... when it starts getting thick at the end... just use your nose! iso has a pretty strong smell youll be able to tell when its gone... collect your oil and leave it in a small covered dish... you could put it in a vial.. but if your unsure if you have cooked all the iso out or not.. remaining iso in the oil will cause it boil over out of the vial.. makes a fuckin mess! a small covered dish just lets it continualy evap/purge... more often than not if i just... leave my oil.. it turns very buddery... but its more of a paste budder than crumbly budder like bho makes

deep buddy

deep buddy

hmm i also blazed out im really liking this iso i did 2 ozs. one of lower grade pop corn and one of high grade tops. the lower grade kept a clearish color and crackles( i just evapped that and scraped no heat). the higher grade i went ahead and heated and it has the classic liquid nails/earwax consistency. and the high was def improved by the 10 min or so hot water cook and it went from goo to solid. its very nice thanks again. i have no idea how much i got i will do a full pic and measure next time and can post here if you approve. its alot smoother and alot easier on the lungs. do you use it w/ a oil rig or just on flowers?

O

oakley1984

dude im old school, i use a propane torch and a stainless steel knife

post away, love seeing others pics :)

deep buddy

deep buddy

dude im old school, i use a propane torch and a stainless steel knife

post away, love seeing others pics :)
word yeah me too i got a rig but i just smoke it on flowers or J's im lazy ,and my "dish" is my pyrex and a coat hanger for a dabber heheh they want 75$!!!! for a titanium dabber at the head shop round here ,crazy!

and,you are very right about the broader range cannabinoid profile.

O

oakley1984

so i finally did it... i have applied this to serious bulk scale!

ive found a way of applying this method to a GARBAGE BAG of material yes thats right... this modification allows you process a GARBAGE bag of material in one go! 5-20lbs of trim!

items required.

5 Gallons of 99% iso

3 NEW 5 gallon buckets (2-4$ @ home depot)

this filter;
SIEVE 12" 100um Filter Copepods Amphipods Mysid Shrimp Rotifers phytoplankton | eBay

follow the guide as posted earlier!

DSC01458
DSC01459
DSC01460

with the 100 micron screen i was able to just pour my mixture back through the screen and filter out a Large amount of crystal/floating particulate matter

DSC01463

^ after this it is still required that you do a final filter with coffee filters
LARGE size coffee filters can be had here..

Coffee Filters - Commercial - Urn - 10 Gallon - Coffee Wholesale USA

happy cooking! you can make OUNCES at a time processing this way! :D

O

oakley1984

How about some pics on your purging/cooking process??
im going to be doing a full video series from selecting material to processing it to cooking
just gonna be a couple months before that happens.. things only grow so fast

Edit: the final # on the batch above this post using the 5gal buckets
was 121 grams! 4.26 oz

Dodge

Dodge

Thanks for throwing this thread together. I have read several times. It is simple and easy to comprehend. Can't wait to try this out. Thanx again!

O

oakley1984

good luck in processing!
the idea of the guide isnt to teach you to cook DIRECTLY like me but to really drive home the important aspects of the process
i recommend using the same tools i do as its amazingly cheap and easy...
but the important parts to remember
do it fast, do it cold, filter properly!

deep buddy

deep buddy

im going to be doing a full video series from selecting material to processing it to cooking
just gonna be a couple months before that happens.. things only grow so fast

Edit: the final # on the batch above this post using the 5gal buckets
was 121 grams! 4.26 oz
looking forward to the video! great find on that filter for larger amounts!

O

oakley1984

it took SOO long to find that!

for the longest time my idea was to buy a 12x12" piece of 100 micron stainless mesh, cut out the bottom of a 5 gal bucket leaving a 1" lip all the way around and using a heat gun to melt the stainless mesh into the bucket... woulda worked the same, just alot more bs... ordering off ebay and driving to a home depot are things pretty much ANYONE can do so this was the route that i chose to share as personally i think once this catches on... people are gonna start throwing away their bubble bags

the real great part about it... the batch i did in that style... was small lol, i only filled that filter 4x...
id love to get all the trim from ~40lbs of indoor and process all that at once save up for a year of so
the great part about it is... just get a deepfreezer, and do the whole process in a deepfreezer... you could litterally keep going until your iso was supersaturated

Graywolf

Graywolf

You can also cut a ring out of the lid and pop rivet the mesh. Note the coarser reinforcing mesh underneath.

If you cut the top ring off and pop rivet it back together, you can shorten a bucket to give it working space underneath.

130 micron scapling bucket out of paint bucket 1
Shortened scalping bucket
Top Bottom