Issue Germinating Humboldt Amherst Sour Diesel Seeds

• Thread starter ggrow1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ggrow1

ggrow1

Hello All!

I am on my second indoor grow. First time around I purchased some seeds from Humboldt. A combination of OG Kush and Chocolate Mint OG. Out of ten seeds, 9 germinated using the 24 hour soak, followed by paper towel method. No issues. In the past, I have germinated seeds for outdoor with this method and have not had a problem. I have also been an avid vegetable gardener and would put my overall abilities (at least i thought) at moderate.

For my second grow, i purchased a 5 pack of Amherst Sour Diesel. Same method - not a single seed germinated. The seeds were soaked for 24 hours and then placed between a layer of damp paper towel and sandwiched between two plates - light proof and helps to keep the paper towel moist. The plate was placed on a warm counter top (a heat duct ran runs below it) which provides some gentle heat. Ambient temperature in the house is about 68F. The plate would feel gently warm from the radiant heat. Seemed like ideal conditions. Not a single seed. Waited 10 days.

The following week, I purchased another 5 seeds, used the same technique but placed the plate / paper towel combo on a heat pad with a thermostat set to 77F. Today is the 7th day. One seed germinated after about two days. Another seed partially germinated a day later but the tap root seemed to stop growing.

What am I doing incorrectly? Is it possible the seeds are bad? Should I try another batch of Amherst Sour Diesel seeds or perhaps a different strain?

Any help is appreciated as I am feeling rather discouraged and I am about 4 weeks behind where I should be.

Thanks!

-GGrow1

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Thinkin you burned or squished them. Could have used bad water. Try peat pellets after a 12 hr soak. I did similar method this year, soaked over night 12hr then into paper towels in sandwhich bags. I put the bags on a plate into the top shelf of my kitchen cabinet. Two to five days later they had mostly all popped tails.

ggrow1

ggrow1

Thinkin you burned or squished them. Could have used bad water. Try peat pellets after a 12 hr soak. I did similar method this year, soaked over night 12hr then into paper towels in sandwhich bags. I put the bags on a plate into the top shelf of my kitchen cabinet. Two to five days later they had mostly all popped tails.

Thank you for the response. The water I used is the same water I use for our terrarium. This water is filtered, boiled and then left to sit I a large glass pitcher for a few days. Likely pretty safe. As far as burning - what is the correct temperature range? From my research 77F (25C) should be right on the money? For the paper towel, perhaps it was over saturated?

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Good morning ggrow1.
I just sprouted an Amherst myself. I have never had a problem with Humboldt seeds. I germinate them one at a time even.
Using only tap water. I only let mine soak in the cup for 18 hrs max. I use the same method as you with the paper towel. They usually crack a tap within 24 hours.
I would assume that you make sure the towels are not drying out. The heat mats have a tendency to do that pretty quickly. Need to stay warm, moist and dark. The plates should not be completely on top of each other either. Leave a small space for air to get to them.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I usually just plant it straight to the medium and let nature take the wheel. Lol
I have a 92% germination rate that way.

ggrow1

ggrow1

Good morning ggrow1.
I just sprouted an Amherst myself. I have never had a problem with Humboldt seeds. I germinate them one at a time even.
Using only tap water. I only let mine soak in the cup for 18 hrs max. I use the same method as you with the paper towel. They usually crack a tap within 24 hours.
I would assume that you make sure the towels are not drying out. The heat mats have a tendency to do that pretty quickly. Need to stay warm, moist and dark. The plates should not be completely on top of each other either. Leave a small space for air to get to them.

Thanks for your reply. I went through your grow diary on the second link. We have similar setups. Very informative and nicely done.

I ended up purchasing some additional seeds. Sacred Cut Seeds - Chementine - 7 seeds. All 6 germinated very quickly. I believe my issue was one of temperature. Once I cranked up the heat mat, the seeds seemed to germinate. I have it set at 26C.

Latest posts

Top Bottom