Issues After Changing To Flower Mode

• Thread starter Badboar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badboar

Badboar

I changed to 12/12 operation a week ago. I also switched to a HPS bulb and increased from 450 to 600 watt power. Additionally I changed nutrients to Dyna Go Bloom 3-12-6. Since the change my plants have gotten lighter, almost yellowish. The temperature has increased about 5 degrees after bulb change and watt increase. Now in high 70 range and sometimes low 80's.

* Is the yellowing due to nutrient shock or deficiency?
* Will the higher temperature cause any problems?
* Has my soil depleted and now other nutrients need to be added?
* What if I go back to 450 watts on my lighting?

Thanks for all your help!

Hydro head

Hydro head

How many weeks did u veg, don’t use soil no more but what I remember the nutes in the soil will last about 4 weeks max,

Badboar

Badboar

I was in veggie 5 weeks. After looking at the girls outside the HPS color cast they are not as yellow as first thought. May be to quick to act. I am still wondering about the temperature and whether going back to 450 watts is good or bad. Any thoughts?

Hydro head

Hydro head

Temps will be fine, I get over 90 at times in the summertime with no probs, 600 will be better than 450, more light better plants

jammie

jammie

seems kindda early in flower to be developing a nitrogen deficiency and nitro doesn't tend to get locked out. Hows your humidity. low humidity will cause decreased transpiration and some yellowing. Is the yellowing all over, or only top or bottom?? pics might help

MW7945

MW7945

I changed to 12/12 operation a week ago. I also switched to a HPS bulb and increased from 450 to 600 watt power. Additionally I changed nutrients to Dyna Go Bloom 3-12-6. Since the change my plants have gotten lighter, almost yellowish. The temperature has increased about 5 degrees after bulb change and watt increase. Now in high 70 range and sometimes low 80's.

* Is the yellowing due to nutrient shock or deficiency?
* Will the higher temperature cause any problems?
* Has my soil depleted and now other nutrients need to be added?
* What if I go back to 450 watts on my lighting?

Thanks for all your help!

*Yes
*No
*Probably
*Don't need to

If they're yellow, they're hungry. Since you switched to a bloom formula your nitrogen is probably gone. I'm not a soil grower though so not sure what to tell you to do exactly.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

When you switch to flower the plants stretch. They are in growth overdrive. Sometimes the very new growth can’t keep up and look a little yellow but green up as it grows out. If it’s just new growth I would not worry.
Nitrogen would show in lower leaves. Not the new growth.
Do you have pics?

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

*Yes
*No
*Probably
*Don't need to

If they're yellow, they're hungry. Since you switched to a bloom formula your nitrogen is probably gone. I'm not a soil grower though so not sure what to tell you to do exactly.
Pretty definitive answers for no pics and very little info bro. Yellow certainly doesn’t automatically mean they’re hungry. It also doesn’t necessarily mean deficiency. he said hes using a 3-12-6 nutrient so N definitely isn’t “gone”

Also hard to say the soil is “probably” depleted knowing absolutely nothing about his soil. If he’s feeding regularly why would it be depleted?

Last edited:
Badboar

Badboar

The girls may not be as yellowing as I first thought. They don't look like they did a couple weeks ago. Much darker green then. I was using Miracid for 5 weeks then switched to Dyna Foliage Pro for one watering then to Dyna Bloom. I am using 1 gallon pots about 1 inch from top in Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I know the pot would do better at 2 gallon but I was not looking for gigantic results. I attached an image. All ideas are welcome. Thanks to all of you!
M3dBZHXRqirB2ONLe2iVA

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

The girls may not be as yellowing as I first thought. They don't look like they did a couple weeks ago. Much darker green then. I was using Miracid for 5 weeks then switched to Dyna Foliage Pro for one watering then to Dyna Bloom. I am using 1 gallon pots about 1 inch from top in Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I know the pot would do better at 2 gallon but I was not looking for gigantic results. I attached an image. All ideas are welcome. Thanks to all of you!View attachment 777472
Everything looks good to me

Dutchcity

Dutchcity

Looks great man! I wouldn’t switch to a flowering nutrient right at the flip to 12. As member mw7945 pointed out, the stretch at week 1-3 in flower can be nutrient and nitrogen demanding. I would suggest switching to Bloom nutes end of week 3 into 4. Thats what I do. The photo period is the main driver for the flowering mode anyway. All we do is feed it along.

chemistry

chemistry

First week is always the same for me, plants moved to 12/12 and receive less light than they're used to, also you said you changed your nuits, two things for the plant to change over to. Joey is right, in stretch the plants cant make Chlorophyll as fast as the leaves are growing, so they look pale until they green up.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Looks great man! I wouldn’t switch to a flowering nutrient right at the flip to 12. As member mw7945 pointed out, the stretch at week 1-3 in flower can be nutrient and nitrogen demanding. I would suggest switching to Bloom nutes end of week 3 into 4. Thats what I do. The photo period is the main driver for the flowering mode anyway. All we do is feed it along.
I know some people feed grow nutes the first few weeks of flower. I understand the thinking but I have never seen a plant hungry for N unless they are not being fed at all. I switch to bloom nutes the day of flip. Bloom usually has plenty of N to run thru veg and bloom if you wanted. Plenty of people do.

Badboar

Badboar

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. I just watered yesterday for the first time with Bloom. I mixed it at 10 ml per gallon of H20 with a ph of 6.0 to 6.5. If I did not go back to the Foliage Pro and complete the stretch, what issues can I see? I don't want the girls to get too big. I have 6 in a 3 x 3 area.

I want to say that I never expected to get as much help as I have on this forum. This is a life saver to new farmers with little to no experience. Thanks again to everyone!

Boar

Top Bottom