Issues with slowed growth and spots.

• Thread starter M0nStarNuggety
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Started showing spots on 2 of my plants. Slowed growth and sad looking. I am in no way very good at diagnosis of issues, as I constantly second guess myself. And advice is greatly appreciated. All are month and half old, 2.7gal pots, 50/50 Coco/soil

-Last feeding was 3 days ago at 75% strength.
-Root organics- Budda Grow, Surge, Trinity
- Bloom City- Clean Kelp
-Blue Planet- Cal/mag

Watered with plain water PH6.5
Runoff at PH6.6
Issues with slowed growth and spots 9

Issues with slowed growth and spots 3
Issues with slowed growth and spots 5
Issues with slowed growth and spots 4

Then these 2 ladies.
Same info on these. Except runoff was at PH5.3.
Then flushed until runoff at PH6.1
Issues with slowed growth and spots 2

Issues with slowed growth and spots 7

Was the nutrient strength too much?

Issues with slowed growth and spots
Issues with slowed growth and spots 6
Issues with slowed growth and spots 8
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Sorry for double pics. Phone acting up

CPT Dann

CPT Dann

I wished I could help you but I’ve had the same type occurrence with slight differences. I hope someone can nail this down. I have a huge raise on ph runoff as well. Did a heavy flush with enzyme and Phd water to 5.0 because I’m getting tired of this crap. I am fairly new to coco and I’m about through with it. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks for posting and good luck.
0F9E006F 70FF 496D B486 65672F17ABD5
3D7A9EAF FFD3 4FB7 AF47 AA6F71C30611
6642879D E0EA 48D4 9146 A4C2BD5CEB6D
D5DC859E D9BA 4FAD B091 DD045ABC54A7

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Started showing spots on 2 of my plants. Slowed growth and sad looking. I am in no way very good at diagnosis of issues, as I constantly second guess myself. And advice is greatly appreciated. All are month and half old, 2.7gal pots, 50/50 Coco/soil

-Last feeding was 3 days ago at 75% strength.
-Root organics- Budda Grow, Surge, Trinity
- Bloom City- Clean Kelp
-Blue Planet- Cal/mag

Watered with plain water PH6.5
Runoff at PH6.6
View attachment 948431
View attachment 948423View attachment 948425View attachment 948424

Then these 2 ladies.
Same info on these. Except runoff was at PH5.3.
Then flushed until runoff at PH6.1
View attachment 948422
View attachment 948427

Was the nutrient strength too much?
Screenshot 20200309 172127 Chrome

So those are your ingredients, I've never used this particular product, but regarding the first set, I would use a lower pH than 6.5 in that medium

CPT Dann

CPT Dann

I guess I should say I’ve read that “you should never use pure water except to final flush. My runoff ph is always 6.6 and higher if I go in with anything higher than 5.8 - 6.0. Here is a before values tds and ph when I got really radical to try to bring down my ph...gasp. This was before and after feeding AN sugars, PhotoP, Mammoth and Recharge. And yes I am pretty sure I killed the bacteria after adding so much ph down but that was done after a very first initial runoff ph was so high. I thought what the hell... As you can see my runoff ph and tds was still high as hell even after taking the ph water way down.
CA6E7BBC 2AA1 4D82 9B4C C911D7A5ADC8
05470BED 8DDD 458C BE54 27C0849B6BE2

CPT Dann

CPT Dann

This is the runoff. I’m stumped. I just ordered a new BlueLab combo meter. Figured it might be having some problems even though I calibrate regularly and I’ve been through 3 ph probes.
I’m stumped. Ready to go back to high pressure aeroponics.

AF36172D DE8E 49D2 957F 80D316C3ADCD
9E8855FC FEF7 46E1 8BDD EE6FC7F18267
CPT Dann

CPT Dann

View attachment 948820

So those are your ingredients, I've never used this particular product, but regarding the first set, I would use a lower pH than 6.5 in that medium
I just read that coco and plain water is not a good idea according to information on Adv. Nutrient. Of course they’re selling ferts so who knows. Another site said to use water every other feeding and GH three part with CALiMAGic at basically ¼ strength which is what I run with silicon added. I also use Full Power Humic acid and enzyme with lots of bennies. So what I decided was to drop everything except the three part GH and CALiMAGic and ph to 5.8.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I just read that coco and plain water is not a good idea according to information on Adv. Nutrient. Of course they’re selling ferts so who knows. Another site said to use water every other feeding and GH three part with CALiMAGic at basically ¼ strength which is what I run with silicon added. I also use Full Power Humic acid and enzyme with lots of bennies. So what I decided was to drop everything except the three part GH and CALiMAGic and ph to 5.8.
I answered the OP; you've got coco which is different than op's medium.
I don't use coco so I've no idea what your issue is, maybe start a new thread in the Coco section? Good luck!

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
View attachment 948820

Sorry if I mis informed, but it is a plain washed and 6.5 ph buffered coco. And plain generic potting soil, no nutrients. At a 50/50 ratio.

I have a meter coming in tomorrow so I will know ppm of water being used.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I answered the OP; you've got coco which is different than op's medium.
I don't use coco so I've no idea what your issue is, maybe start a new thread in the Coco section? Good luck!
This didn't answer anything really, except you can look up things on Amazon. Since stating that I DO NOT use that brand of soil! Only fertilizer.
Now that I have a PPM and EC meter I believe i have a better idea of issue.

Well/tap water: ppm- 162, ec 323
Runoff water: ppm-1100-1200!! ec- 2.1-2.3!!! from the 2 larger plants.

Last edited:
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
This is the runoff. I’m stumped. I just ordered a new BlueLab combo meter. Figured it might be having some problems even though I calibrate regularly and I’ve been through 3 ph probes.
I’m stumped. Ready to go back to high pressure aeroponics.

What type of coco did you start the grow with?

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I plan on flushing the 6 plants tomorrow and getting PPM and EC levels down to correct range. I'll let them sit a for a week or 2 and get back moving and grooving and transfer to 10gal fabric pots for flower. Pics to follow soon!!!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

1) for some reason I thought this was Captain Dan's thread

2) what part of 'your pH is too high for your particular medium' don't you understand?

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter

2) what part of 'your pH is too high for your particular medium' don't you understand?

Well sorry to disappoint.
From what I have read 6.5 pH is the upper most limit. That's what it was initially buffered to. But I have well water and even in a short time has leveled out about 6.
I have had no issues prior to this really. It seems soil was "overloaded". My own mistake for not listening to the plants better.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter

Sorry if that last post sound A-holeish. Lol. 😅
It was a long night of flushing plants and I was tired and frustrated, didn't spark my J before bed yet. 😁
Since I have a 50/50 mix should I still run ph lower as in coco, or do I have sort of a buffer with the soil mix in there?
Still learning the ways of the Coco. Was thinking just using a straight Coco mix next run with a few clones from these.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants lok like they are slightly overfed, which might be causing an issue either by nute lockout or Ph lockout. It almost looks like a magnesium deficiency on some of the pictures, and magnesium is one of the first nutrients to fall victim to Ph issues... it has a pretty narrow window. My advice would be to go easy on the nutrients, try to get the Ph to the mid 6's if possible, and maybe give a foliar feeding of either epsom salts or Cal-Mag. If it is a magnesium issue, you should see things improve fairly quickly after foliar feeding, since it bypasses the roots. If your outflow is still 1200 or so (I think that is what I read), you still have a lot of nutrients in there... especially if you are using RO or distilled water.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
The plants lok like they are slightly overfed, which might be causing an issue either by nute lockout or Ph lockout. It almost looks like a magnesium deficiency on some of the pictures, and magnesium is one of the first nutrients to fall victim to Ph issues... it has a pretty narrow window. My advice would be to go easy on the nutrients, try to get the Ph to the mid 6's if possible, and maybe give a foliar feeding of either epsom salts or Cal-Mag. If it is a magnesium issue, you should see things improve fairly quickly after foliar feeding, since it bypasses the roots. If your outflow is still 1200 or so (I think that is what I read), you still have a lot of nutrients in there... especially if you are using RO or distilled water.

After the flush last night my readings were around 650-800 ppm. Ph 6.4 - 6.6

Thank you, I will try foliar if they don't spring back quickly. The 2 mid size plants were done a day before others. 3 smaller ones. Showing a slight improvement in colour. But everyone seems happier even with soggy feet.
IMG 20200312 182543308

Should I just go say 1/4 strength on nutes after they dry up some?
Now that I have meter it will be much easier to keep in check.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I would go easy on the nutes until things get stabilized. With the reduced nutes, keep an eye on your outflow PPM to make sure it doesn't start to creep up again... keep an eye on the Ph as well. I don't feed my plants nearly what the maker's recommend and I still get great results. Lower nutes also keep issues like lockouts and Ph swings from getting out of hand. As long as your plants look happy and thriving, you are doing well. As much as we equate a lot of feeding with faster and bigger growth, it doesn't work out like that after a point.
Things look good for the most part... keep up the good work!

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Looking a lot better now. Getting that nice green back and started showing loads of new growth. A couple still slowly recovering but on their way now.
IMG 20200315 222228255 HDR

Top Bottom