It seems I got bugs....

• Thread starter Greenbob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Greenbob

Greenbob

A few days ago i was plucking some yellow sucker leaves and saw a couple that had tiny white spots on them. I pulled em off with the yellow and didnt think much of it. After a few days of normal morning routine (go out and water and say hi....looks good...see ya tomorrow) today I see like a dozen leaves that have the spots. I pulled em off and looked closer. On the undersides I found bugs :(
Heres a pic of one of the worst hit leaves..
Untitled2jpg

I have a 30x loupe and tried to get a pic of the bugs. They translucent with black spot on each side. I'm guessing spider mite?

Untitledjpg

I called a friend who hooked me up with some stuff called nuke em. He said mix an ounce to a 2 liter bottle and soak her down. Over and under...so i did. He said 3 treatments 3 days apart. Im new and got no clue if this seems reasonable. After google pics of spider mites im sure it what they are. Monday Im gonna spray again...opinions welcome before I do

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I just went on the website and it says the same thing 3 treatments 3 days apart.
Might want to also apply weekly through the rest of veg as a preventative.

Greenbob

Greenbob

Is it possible to over do it? I soaked her good. Im a few weeks into flower and sprayed buds point blank but dont know if i need to spread them open and really soak them down. I use a little 8 oz spray bottle and it took 3 1/2 of those. I noticed a lot of mist settling on the dirt in the pot....will that be an issue?

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

Please re-consider spraying your flowering plants again. It looks like you're outdoor? Its amazing how outdoor plants can keep infestations under control.

R

redshift75

just spray the underside good. dont worry about the tops of leaves so much as you need to hit the bottom. So if you arent holding a sprayer and moving it from the bottom up the canopy it wont do much but possibly create to phytotoxic conditions depending on what you are using and if you mix it wrong or imbalanced water, etc. Is a few variables to that, but lets say rule of thumb if you follow the direction you will be fine.

Just follow the label on nuke em 3 days will be good and make sure you hit the undersides. dont be afraid after you spray since you are in flower or even before spraying to remove fan leaves with excess damage. This will help the sprays work best in my experience. Those really damaged ones. I just pull. keep spraying. Should see effect after first treatment and the rest is just making sure you are killing the ones that hatch. But the key to mites is always going to be spraying the underside of leaves where the feed. Or overall lots of canopy penetration.

Honestly you should go buy a 1 gallon sprayer. They were on clearance at my walmart today for like $4. yeah is some added waste. But the higher pressure and ease of a wand is a god send when dealing with mites and the treatment level needed to tackle an infestation vs treat with IPM. if we were just talking IPM you can get away with a spray bottle 99/100 times in my opinion. But for treatment. A pump sprayer is a must. Id have to check my pest control book/notes but i believe the best spraying method requires 40psi or above for most mites through spray application. With a nozzle that will give 200 to 350 micron droplets. Best one is going to be the flat fan vs mist nozzle.

But thats getting into a lot of it. I could add use tween 20 or something like that will help the chemical go further adding a surfactant. But really best thing you can do in my opinion i s just get a pump sprayer and use the nuke em(if thats what you want to use for treatment).

Greenbob

Greenbob

just spray the underside good. dont worry about the tops of leaves so much as you need to hit the bottom. So if you arent holding a sprayer and moving it from the bottom up the canopy it wont do much but possibly create to phytotoxic conditions depending on what you are using and if you mix it wrong or imbalanced water, etc. Is a few variables to that, but lets say rule of thumb if you follow the direction you will be fine.

Just follow the label on nuke em 3 days will be good and make sure you hit the undersides. dont be afraid after you spray since you are in flower or even before spraying to remove fan leaves with excess damage. This will help the sprays work best in my experience. Those really damaged ones. I just pull. keep spraying. Should see effect after first treatment and the rest is just making sure you are killing the ones that hatch. But the key to mites is always going to be spraying the underside of leaves where the feed. Or overall lots of canopy penetration.

Honestly you should go buy a 1 gallon sprayer. They were on clearance at my walmart today for like $4. yeah is some added waste. But the higher pressure and ease of a wand is a god send when dealing with mites and the treatment level needed to tackle an infestation vs treat with IPM. if we were just talking IPM you can get away with a spray bottle 99/100 times in my opinion. But for treatment. A pump sprayer is a must. Id have to check my pest control book/notes but i believe the best spraying method requires 40psi or above for most mites through spray application. With a nozzle that will give 200 to 350 micron droplets. Best one is going to be the flat fan vs mist nozzle.

But thats getting into a lot of it. I could add use tween 20 or something like that will help the chemical go further adding a surfactant. But really best thing you can do in my opinion i s just get a pump sprayer and use the nuke em(if thats what you want to use for treatment).

I do want to get a better sprayer for sure. Will the mites chew on buds too or do they just attack leaves?

Greenbob

Greenbob

She's indoor/outdoor lol. I hit the dewpoint almost every night so everything is wet in the mornings. So from 9pm to 6 or 7 am its in my shed. Im worried about mold and mildew. Being so far north the sun doesnt get to her until almost 10am. I checked the day after I sprayed and had a hard time finding any mites that were moving but there were a few. I planed to spray again tomorrow so can I ask why i should reconsider spraying? I was under the impression that there were 0 negative effects from using the nuke em product.

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

I think you're asking about my comment.

Cannabis flowers aren't very easy to wash stuff off of, so that makes them different than fruits and vegetables. It seems to me that most pest related products are intended for produce that will be eaten, not smoked. And I think its assumed that the food is going to be washed before being eaten.

Nuke em is citric acid, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. All I'm saying is don't assume that bugs are going to be impossible to deal with without spraying. Whether Nuke em is going to kill you in 30 years, I have no idea. But it's a safer bet not to spray. This came up in a Google search.

"Sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate are extremely useful agents for food and beverage preservation, yet concerns remain over their complete safety. Benzoate can react with the ascorbic acid in drinks to produce the carcinogen benzene. "

Greenbob

Greenbob

Yes...Thanks for the reply JerryGarcia.
Good info and something to think about. I am in Maine and in the spring I pick fiddleheads. Gotta wash em before you boil em and the bugs and shit that comes out is nasty. I can only imagine whats stuck to buds especially after seeing all the mites on it. I watched a bunch of vids on washing buds before hanging. Are these sprays topical and removable with a wash or does it all get absorbed? I was thinking about the lemon juice and baking soda wash. As for killin me in 30 years....my kids generation is gonna be running the country! Im not so sure I want to be here to see it LOL.

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

Yes...Thanks for the reply JerryGarcia.
Good info and something to think about. I am in Maine and in the spring I pick fiddleheads. Gotta wash em before you boil em and the bugs and shit that comes out is nasty. I can only imagine whats stuck to buds especially after seeing all the mites on it. I watched a bunch of vids on washing buds before hanging. Are these sprays topical and removable with a wash or does it all get absorbed? I was thinking about the lemon juice and baking soda wash. As for killin me in 30 years....my kids generation is gonna be running the country! Im not so sure I want to be here to see it LOL.

Good to hear from you, Gb. I wouldn't have thought that washing was a thing until I felt like I had to do it. It worked great.

Let's try to keep a positive outlook. Lord knows we have no control over it! Wishing you the best.

MP

Last edited:
Top Bottom