It was really hot today (SoCal)

• Thread starter drunknbass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drunknbass

drunknbass

And I come out at lights on tonight and find this.

All I can think is it was the closest plant to the intake and had hot air hitting it all day?

Was prob pulling in 90-95 degree air.

Think it'll make it? The other plants look ok and I moved it away from the vent and flipped the air direction around so the fan pulls air instead.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
How long was it under the hot vent? I want to say yes. I would imagine there may be some type of CPR you could perform.

outwest

drunknbass

drunknbass

This was one days damage. It was pretty hot all day so probably a good 12 hours of heat. Some parts are pretty crispy. Not sure if I should spray them with anything, would hate to make it worse. The buds are about 35% orange hairs and my guess is these have 2-3 wk to proper harvest.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'd hope to think it came be saved. I'm not the one to offer you advice, sorry. I am pulling for you and the plant. Good luck.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

Mary Jane is one tough bitch- don't count her out. ;) I would have foliar sprayed with straight water as soon as I saw it, and again several times over the course of the next few hours. Make sure the nutes in her bucket are a bit diluted so they don't run the risk of burning while the poor thing recovers. Yes, you set her back. No, it's not fatal. Definitely time to step up your cooling regime. I would start with a swamp cooler as they add humidity and help cool the air, and work better as things get hotter. You're definitely going to need some active cooling if you can't get the temps back into the low 80s at least. Consider running your day cycle at night so you can take advantage of cooler temps, and the heat of the day won't be adding extra strain to your cooling requirements.

Next time (let's hope not!) for faster response, post your thread in the appropriate place- in this case, 'cannabis infirmary'. The thread topic also didn't get to the gist of your problem; no one seeing a 'hot day in Cali' headline is gonna be thinking you're wanting help with a plant problem. Hope she tunred out all right?

drunknbass

drunknbass

I sprayed her with plain water last night and a few others.
I already have the light cycle reversed but we got this crazy heat wave and I wasn't ready for it yet.
We'll see tonight at lights on if she's a goner.

And I didn't see that forum. :O

Morgan

Morgan

to be honest with you looks to me like she had not been watered in a few days..... your pumps good no clogs? is she really dry and crumbly? or she still soft to the touch just limp? like ttystikk said this plant is amazing for sure dont count her out!!

drunknbass

drunknbass

There was water but I topped it off with more. No clogs and drip ring is working.
I will probably flush it tonight if it's not dead by then just because the temp being so high the water is probably going to get nasty quick.

Thinking of buying one of these to hold me over for a month or 2 till I get a proper ac and Insulation setup.
http://www.amazon.com/SF-609-Portab...8G5K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335034216&sr=8-3

I don't see it listing the power usage anywhere. If this uses ice/water can I assume it's using around the same power as a big fan? I'm not sure how much amperage I have left to spare.

As long as I can keep temps out of 100 and in low 90 on the crazy hot days I think I can squeak by till may.

Morgan

Morgan

i have one , i picked up from a buddy im gonna have to look at brand and or ask where he picked it up. it can run really cold with added water and then of course blow cold air with out. it also has built in timer and different air flow settings . same size as the one you are looking at prolly around the same price as well. i love mine!!! ill see if i can get you more info on it.

drunknbass

drunknbass

The one that is not doing well is a blue dream. There is also another BD right next to it doing fine so that's why I assumed it was getting hit with too much hot air.
There are also a few other strains on the other side of the tent doing fine.

drunknbass

drunknbass

I'm also wondering if I should just run tubing out to my garage from my house ac. It's going to be running a decent amount keeping the house cool anyways.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm also wondering if I should just run tubing out to my garage from my house ac. It's going to be running a decent amount keeping the house cool anyways.

Nothing wrong with this approach, I've done it myself. Just make sure you use insulated ducting, or the air may not be cold when it gets to your tent. Also, PULL the air through your tent, don't push it; the very act of pushing air heats it due to gas compression effects.

Essick Air Products is my favorite line of swamper makers; made in the USA and actually glad to talk when you call them! http://www.essickair.com/

drunknbass

drunknbass

i have been trying to decide if i should move outside and set up a nice shed this summer and insulate it. I just had a crazy idea that my pool and shed shed are less than 10 feet apart and the pool stays mid to low 70s, maybe i could build a heat exchanger out of some car radiator/heater cores? Maybe im getting to macgyver .

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

i have been trying to decide if i should move outside and set up a nice shed this summer and insulate it. I just had a crazy idea that my pool and shed shed are less than 10 feet apart and the pool stays mid to low 70s, maybe i could build a heat exchanger out of some car radiator/heater cores? Maybe im getting to macgyver .

If you use your pool eventually you will raise the temps of your pool. How fast that happens depends on flow rates thru heat exchanger. But it will happen. So unless your pools cools considerably overnight (8-10 degrees) you'll start having problems using the pool. I'm in Socal also with a pool (mine doesn't cool that much overnight). Also I'm a HVAC tech. For instance if you have a 15000 gallon pool, flow rate of 5 gpm, and temp difference of 10 degrees (between water in and water out of heat exchanger) you will warm your pool up 10 degrees in about 50 hours of run time. Again that is just an example.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I would say that the way to decide if this will work for you is to see how much the pool's heater runs. If it runs a lot, then you're onto something. If it doesn't, then you're probably gonna have to look elsewhere for cooling.

One more consideration is the temperature of what it is you're trying to cool. If you're trying to keep a hydro system at 62, the pool thing likely won't work. But If you're trying to keep something in the mid to upper 80s, then there's a possiblity... An example might be cooling the hoods with your water to water heat exchanger; if the hoods get the working water up to 100+, then I'll bet the pool would work to cool it. It's all about the temperature differences, you see- a pool in SoCal won't get much cooler than 85 or so in the summer- and in south Texas, the darn things warm up! If that's cool enough to chill part of your op tho, then the fact that the pool would start heating up means that IT would have a temperature difference with the surrounding atmosphere. A hot tub runs at 100-106 or so, depending on the level of masochism of the owner. If that's still cool enough to pull appreciable heat out of whatever you're running- like a water cooled CO2 burner- then it would still work to dissipate heat because the hot tub is significantly warmer than the surrounding air's average temperature. Even in south Texas...

So you've got some work to do to figure out what the cooling capacity of the pool is- that is, how fast it can dissipate its excess heat to the atmosphere, as opposed to its capacity as a static heat sink.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Lastly, the amount of cooling you need will also play a role. If all you're trying to cool is a tent, then I bet the pool thing would work- it's just not going to load that volume of water with excess heat fast enough to overcome the pool's natural ability to dissipate it. A warehouse full of lights is of course a different story.

drunknbass

drunknbass

If i did go the shed route (if this is actually plausible it would tip me in favor of it) max id have in it would be 2 x 1000 and the usual other equipment. i could also divide the electronics out into an outside room to keep heat a min.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If i did go the shed route (if this is actually plausible it would tip me in favor of it) max id have in it would be 2 x 1000 and the usual other equipment. i could also divide the electronics out into an outside room to keep heat a min.

Time to do some homework and gather some data; drop an aquarium thermometer into your pool and determine what its temperature is. Track this through time, like several times a day for a wekk or two, to determine the trend. If it stays 8-10 degrees cooler than the temp you want to run your room at, you may well be onto something.

2000 watts isn't a huge amount of heat in the larger scheme of things. I bet that a decent sized pool will adequately cool that amount of lighting, maybe with a bit of help from a few aerators tossed in to help the naturally occuring evaporative cooling along.

Even if it doesn't do ALL the cooling, you could still run a cooling loop from the hot side- the Ice Boxes- through the pool, and then through a chiller to bring the temp the rest of the way down. This would still save you substatial coin on your power bill by reducing the load on your chiller.

drunknbass

drunknbass

Good info, thanks.
Ill study the temp and see how it changes. I have a panel inside that allows me to monitor and control the pool so I just need to verify its readings are accurate and log them.

As far as e plant goes, looks toast. I gave them (all) a good flush and left the crispy one with plain water, hopefully it dies a slow enough death I can get some minimal flush going on. Who knows maybe the water in the res was what was killing it and I saved it lol... Doubt it.
Not a huge loss, last run under the t5 anyways. These plants did have pretty good bud density and growth compared to previous strains under the same lights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom