Its about that time of the year...

• Thread starter JeromeGarcia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

What is the best, or earliest, time for outdoor trees to be started, from seed, and clone, in CO? Using a backyard grow, and a greenhouse in Denver, & in the Paonia/Delta county area, as examples.

My guess is the last full moon we just experienced....

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I've already popped my seeds for the outdoor crop this year, about 2 weeks ago. I'm running a (red columbian X afghani) X small leaf hashplant.

The small leaf hashplant was a unique male pheno from a pack of reeferman's supreme hashplant. It looked like a japanese maple when it was growing. I figured it was worth breeding so we'll see what happens.

Veg your plants as long as possible before you put them outside. Now is a good time to start!

M

mendel

I agree, time to get those cuttings rooted and seeds sprouted if your going for the big ones. I like to veg 16/8 and set them out around June 1.

R

Rednick

NorCal pops their beans on the 1st of Jan., at least the ones on ICMAg.

Check out 'Humbolt Local' on IC.

T

Tr33

We popped ours the first week Jan and will be planted June 1st as we do each year up here.
You should till and nut'ed your garden space last summer/fall before the winter snows.

JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

I've heard mother's day (2nd Sunday in May) is usually about the time of the last frost around here.

But, and here's were I get confused, if you start a girl now, and you put the babe OD in a GH, when is the earliest you would want to do this... I would think, around here, April 15 is the earliest. However, the daylight period is 13h 15m 04s, according to
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html, and doesn't this low light period have the potential to shock, or otherwise slow the grow, of the plant, if you were raising the baby under 24hr, or 18hr lighting periods? Or, is it best to run the babies under 16/8 like Mendel does.... ( are you guys using the lesser lighting period, specifically, to match up with the natural light length?)

Not sure if I explained that right....

I gotta go...

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Something I've noticed that will shock a plant in a greenhouse is the cold nights. Put a heater/thermostat combo in there until you're sure it's not going to get below 40 at night, should stay above 55 or so in the greenhouse.

Running your plants at 16/8 will help with the shock. Some liquid seaweed helps with transplant shock.

Once the light cycle dips below 16hrs of light you'll start to flower (some will start to flower a little even at 16hrs). Put some supplemental light in the greenhouse on a timer, it only needs to be on for 3hrs at that point. A single 4ft t5 from home depot will be fine to keep a small greenhouse in veg. A HID light could create enough heat to warm the greenhouse and take care of both your problems.

But, a greenhouse with supplemental lighting can look kinda weeeiiiirrrddddd...run the lights in the early morning and less people will notice.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We popped ours the first week Jan and will be planted June 1st as we do each year up here.
You should till and nut'ed your garden space last summer/fall before the winter snows.
No tilling! Amend, compost compost compost, mulch, leave alone. Let the soil food web do its work and you won't be disappointed. Till all that up and the SFW has to be started all over again.

I have beans selected out to pop, but I think I'm gonna change my mind about running the Northern Lights in favor of either Grendel or Blue Melon. Fuck, now I'm back to square one, decisions, decisions.

By the by, if you're popping indoors now with plans to put OD, it's really helpful to have everything on a photoperiod that more closely mimics what they're going to encounter once OD. I've been using a staggered photoperiod for almost a year now, hopefully this year I can really test how well it prevents flowering onset after placing outside. I have designed the photoperiod to most closely match the summer solstice at my latitude, which for me is about 13.4hrs if I recall.

I'm in the Sierra Nevada, 2500' elevation, and I can put them out anywhere from March to July with zero problems. If it's too cold they just don't grow is all.

JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

No tilling! Amend, compost compost compost, mulch, leave alone. Let the soil food web do its work and you won't be disappointed. Till all that up and the SFW has to be started all over again.

I

Damn, I let the dog use the soil as a bedding area.... actually, she showed me she was doing this... And in doing this, she dug all that dirt mixture up, tilling it, in order to make a more comfortable spot...

Oh well, as the saying goes "People plan, and Dog does." or, is that "people plan and god does"?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

So people are saying that since last year we had a longer growing season, things will probably be shorter this year, looking to pull a harvest in late Sept. is more realistic, at least in the eastern foothills. What you guys running for strains? Hearty bred indicas?

Latest posts

Top Bottom