Its Cold Af In This Attic, And I Need Help With Temp. Control

• Thread starter Green miled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Green miled

whats up farmers, i have a 6 w X 10L X 11H grow room that im creating. 3 1000 watt lights and none are air cooled. its gonna get really cold so bought a whynter arc - 14sh, which is a 14,000 btu ac (for summer) and it can heat up to 77 degrees(for winter). my problem is the exhaust on my fan blows out insanely cold air. should i buy air cooled hoods to make this air warm as it gets pushed thru them? and exhaust it to a carbon filter in the room? or should i keep the open ended hoods? and let them warm my room?

also i have wide wood beams that run thru the center of the room, is this a big fire hazard? i think it is but i don't know what to cover it with.

feel free to throw some tips :cool: my first attic grow in a very cold and snowy town
thanks guys:smug:

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

The Wynter arc14-sh is a dual hose ac and both hoses should be run outside. if by fan your talking about another inline fan that is pulling cold air in you can get a speed controller https://www.amazon.com/Active-Air-A...6&sr=8-2&keywords=inline+fan+speed+controller
Slow it down to a trickle. The Wynter heater is not much of a heater but will keep a room that size warm when the lights are off, as long as that fan is off.

BigBen207

BigBen207

I grow in my basement in Maine. 8x8x7 flower room, and 4x8 veg room. I have concrete floors and walls, and there is no heat source down there so it's usually pretty cold. (45-50deg) I framed it up with 2x4's but I couldn't afford insulation so it's just wrapped with Panda paper. I have to run an electric heater 24/7 I'm my veg room to keep it an even 75-78deg. It sucks, but after my first run I am going to re frame it and insulate/add plywood on the walls.
In my flower room, I only have to run the heater when lights are off. You might want to drywall the ceiling or use plywood to square the room up and therefore need to heat less space. Good luck and feel free to ask for any more help

keiksweat

keiksweat

them 3 one thousand watts will soon warm up an attic.get yourself a cheap heat bar,greenhouse heater.set it on a thermostat for lights out.should be good at minimal cost.im in an attic ,all year round.freezing here dude.ive got no issues.getting some nice colours coming through now though...good luck,don't sweat it...lol.

BigBen207

BigBen207

I figure with the organic soils and beneficials, I'll probably let it get a little cooler during lights off in the last two weeks. My outdoor got super colorful at the end of the cycle.

G

Green miled

The Wynter arc14-sh is a dual hose ac and both hoses should be run outside. if by fan your talking about another inline fan that is pulling cold air in you can get a speed controller https://www.amazon.com/Active-Air-A...6&sr=8-2&keywords=inline+fan+speed+controller
Slow it down to a trickle. The Wynter heater is not much of a heater but will keep a room that size warm when the lights are off, as long as that fan is off.

When
I grow in my basement in Maine. 8x8x7 flower room, and 4x8 veg room. I have concrete floors and walls, and there is no heat source down there so it's usually pretty cold. (45-50deg) I framed it up with 2x4's but I couldn't afford insulation so it's just wrapped with Panda paper. I have to run an electric heater 24/7 I'm my veg room to keep it an even 75-78deg. It sucks, but after my first run I am going to re frame it and insulate/add plywood on the walls.
In my flower room, I only have to run the heater when lights are off. You might want to drywall the ceiling or use plywood to square the room up and therefore need to heat less space. Good luck and feel free to ask for any more help

I too have created a room using panda film, it's been a long journey hanging it almost 11ft high up there. And I am hoping for some nice colors too, thanks for the tips bud

G

Green miled

them 3 one thousand watts will soon warm up an attic.get yourself a cheap heat bar,greenhouse heater.set it on a thermostat for lights out.should be good at minimal cost.im in an attic ,all year round.freezing here dude.ive got no issues.getting some nice colours coming through now though...good luck,don't sweat it...lol.
I'm gonna get a heater, first snow fall today and it's real cold here. Thanks

guymandude

guymandude

i use a space heater in my room during lights off in the winter. How do you plan on keeping that room cool in the summer?

11 feet height? I can only dream about havin that much head room. I only have 6'7"

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

one more thing i wanted to tell you. The heater on the Whynter arc 14sh. It has a auto stop when the little water basin inside fills up the heater shuts off and the thing is small, it will shut off once a night the basin inside is too small so to fix this remove the plug on the back afix a hose to the nipple and run the hose out to a pan so it can run the water pout without the plug in. other wise you will be going in there in the dark to drain your heater once a dark cycle.

BigBen207

BigBen207

Got our first snow today as well. I only have to heat the veg, so its fairly easy to keep it at 78/60 Deg/RH. I have twin Window AC units that I will be framing in a month from now when I flip, just in case it gets too hot.
Noticed three squiggly things on a fan leaf today. Did some investigation, and found a thrip on my stem.
Switched everything up this round and went from coco to soil. Every single part of my grow was either brand new or heavily and repeatedly sanitized. And so I blame the FF happy frog. I have never EVER had thrips, not ever seen FF soil with so many sticks and wood chunks and weird shit in it. So yeah. People can talk all the shit they want about how thrips are easy to get, from onions, or the garden store, or Isis. but NA. I know it was the soil.
Anyways, I'll update pics tomo before I feed. Good luck to the farm

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Attics are a bitch for environmental control. Insulation and lots of it is your only hope!

Y

yabear

I grow in a basment in Canada so I also deal with cold temps.

I use one of these https://progressive-growth.com/products/grozone-tv2-multimode-day-night-thermostat/

It's a fan speed heat control so your fan will only pull in enough air to keep your room at the right temp, you can also set it so it turns off during the night cycle when it gets super cold or can set it so it idles to keep negative pressure going.

Hopefully your lights will add enough heat during the day cycle to keep it warm enough and during the night the fan will turn off and if you need to add a heater.

G

Green miled

one more thing i wanted to tell you. The heater on the Whynter arc 14sh. It has a auto stop when the little water basin inside fills up the heater shuts off and the thing is small, it will shut off once a night the basin inside is too small so to fix this remove the plug on the back afix a hose to the nipple and run the hose out to a pan so it can run the water pout without the plug in. other wise you will be going in there in the dark to drain your heater once a dark cycle.

I'm gonna try to do that later,
what kind of heater am I supposed to buy? I want something really safe that is not a big fire hazard

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

try the heater you got tonight the Whynter turn it up to 77 I think is the max. afix the hose like I said and keep a eye on it. My Whynter heater has been enough to keep mine in the 65 range and up. if that isnt enough you can then go get a small one to help out. Fish

keiksweat

keiksweat

Got our first snow today as well. I only have to heat the veg, so its fairly easy to keep it at 78/60 Deg/RH. I have twin Window AC units that I will be framing in a month from now when I flip, just in case it gets too hot.
Noticed three squiggly things on a fan leaf today. Did some investigation, and found a thrip on my stem.
Switched everything up this round and went from coco to soil. Every single part of my grow was either brand new or heavily and repeatedly sanitized. And so I blame the FF happy frog. I have never EVER had thrips, not ever seen FF soil with so many sticks and wood chunks and weird shit in it. So yeah. People can talk all the shit they want about how thrips are easy to get, from onions, or the garden store, or Isis. but NA. I know it was the soil.
Anyways, I'll update pics tomo before I feed. Good luck to the farm
there's all sorts in soil.i got a magic mushroom growing out of a fyber cup.

G

Green miled

Hey bud, I removed the plug out that back but nothing came out. It randomly shuts off? Stops giving out air.. any help? Also I think I'm gonna buy a space heater, what's the most safe space heater

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

maybe the water is frozen inside. heat the machine up leave the plug out should drain out.

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

if it flashes stop and dont work. then its full of water or frozen water.

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

Soil warming cables on a timer, 6x10 room can hold 60 x5 gal=300 gal of water that will warm up when lights come on and give it back during the night keeping plant roots warm, thermal mass. Your floor would need to support that kind of point load. The ceiling beam you can get welders cloth in different sizes.

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Soil warming cables on a timer, 6x10 room can hold 60 x5 gal=300 gal of water that will warm up when lights come on and give it back during the night keeping plant roots warm, thermal mass. Your floor would need to support that kind of point load. The ceiling beam you can get welders cloth in different sizes.
Lol @ 2,500 lbs of water in attic!
Works great in greenhouses though!

Top Bottom