I've heard it twice now..

• Thread starter Smallzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smallzz

Smallzz

Twice, from two separate individuals who have been growing since the wheel was invented, have I heard that you can carefully cut the finished product off your plant and leave the existing stem and root structure for a magical reveg and regrowth that happens the following year, so long as you wrap everything in plastic bags to prevent the frost from turning all the cell structure to mush.

If someone has a plant they're about to harvest and wants to do an experiment in the name of science!, would you mind trying this out? Any volunteers/takers/naysayers?

Imagine how killer it would be if you really could harvest a plant out of a 300 gal smart pot, somehow preserve the roots and stem, and do it all over again without having to replant the next year?

Smallzz

Smallzz

Hey ttystikk, loved the joke man. Do you do any outdoor?

I want to recruit you for my experiment. It's in the name of science, your bong hitting yoda and you cannot refuse!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey ttystikk, loved the joke man. Do you do any outdoor?

The best part about the joke is that the statement really is in the aforementioned handbook!

I've not done any. I'm in northern Colorado, where there are significant challenges. There is no way this would work for an outdoor plant anywhere outdoors in Colorado. I bet it might work in places like south Texas or Florida. I bet it would also work if you had a big root mass on an indoor plant and tried it. I think the key is to leave enough of the plant intact to recover with.

Smallzz

Smallzz

One of the guys was from the PNW and the other was from NorCal. I guess you're probably right on the Colorado climate though. Since you're here though you can always sign up to support the cause by helping me peer pressure the first outdoor grower to come and post in the thread into doing our evil bidding, for science!

If you ever need an apprentice for your indoor grows in NorCol, let me know yo. I sleep most of the day and eat a lot of food, but in exchange I bring occasional moments of brilliance in between naps.

Smallzz

Smallzz

Has anyone tried it before on the forums? I'm skeptical myself, I just want to keep an open mind.

ttystikk

ttystikk

One of the guys was from the PNW and the other was from NorCal. I guess you're probably right on the Colorado climate though. Since you're here though you can always sign up to support the cause by helping me peer pressure the first outdoor grower to come and post in the thread into doing our evil bidding, for science!

If you ever need an apprentice for your indoor grows in NorCol, let me know yo. I sleep most of the day and eat a lot of food, but in exchange I bring occasional moments of brilliance in between naps.

Oooooh no, you don't- that's MY job!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Seriously, I've successfully revegetated a few plants indoors successfully, and failed with others. The climates you mention don't freeze, so if you can keep the thing alive throughput a dreary winter, you may- or may not- succeed. After all, the early spring season is also a blooming schedule...

Danksnax

Danksnax

From what I have seen on videos:
is that re-veging can occur after harvesting all the leaves and flowers and leaving at least a little of the main stem. The plant will grow new shoots and leaves after continuous watering of the rootzone. In the video the guy stated he lived in southern California, and he wasn't leaving his plants out over winter, only doing 5 gal. bucket harvests and re-vegging.

I am in WA and am quite curious whether the root structure of the plant will survive over the winter.

Sign me up for testing.

After I chop my lady (whom is in a raised bed), I'll mulch (which I should have already done:facepalm: ), and cover my remaining lady with a bag or something and see what happens. To have a perennial-weed-orchard would be most awesome:cool:.

Cort

Cort

I have not tried it with cannabis, but I know with some of my herbs such as basil, the flavor and vigor changes after it flowers and you are better off growing fresh. Peppers seem to also offer a reduced yield for me. However, plants like my huge rosemary bush grow better with time, once the old flowered material is removed.

Wine grapes also change flavors over time, for the better. They start to take a more peppery flavor after 20+ years.

Based on what I have seen with other plants, as long as you are not killing it with cold it should come back. If you like what will come back to you is a different question. Like in the Pet Cemetery "Some times dead is better"

ttystikk

ttystikk

I will try it;) no lights though...just plastic to protect it

I think the lights and the light depo could kind of go hand in hand, if you get my drift. I'm thinking of setting things up so that the cover closes when the lights come on, so the thing doesn't glow in the dark. So, the light would replace natural lighting for part of the day, likely early in the morning and late in the evening. The main part of the day would have the cover open and the lights off. I don't know how well it would work, but it seems to have a lot of possibilities. I'm also well aware that I'm just an armchair engineer at this, having never built a greenhouse myself.

What do you think of this idea?

Smallzz

Smallzz

loving all the ideas and input, and most importantly the vigor of the conversation! For science!

Thanks for volunteering to be our test subjects Dank and Ken. Show us how you wrap 'em when you do so we can all chime in. :p

^^^ That sounds terrible by the way^^^

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Ill give it a try!

However, I'm in the hills and its going to get COLD this year. I have an OG I just cut down in a 65gal pot. I'll cover her well to avoid frost...Will she need light at all in the coming months?

Smallzz

Smallzz

according to my sources, no supplemental light is needed. Just a few bags to avoid frost damage.

And a big thanks to GR33N for volunteering as well! Science Science Science!

germinator

germinator

I have revegged an indoor. Harvested 80% of the plant... Hit it with some strong nitrogen nutes then back in 18/6 lighting. Takes time but it starts throwin funky leafs for a while then comes back bushier and bigger. Maybe add some nitrogen?

Top Bottom