JACKs 2:2 or 2:2:1? Anyone help me here?

• Thread starter plumsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I have seen some mentions of this and I am intrigued because I almost always seem to have Calcium Issues with my lazy too Many Top Offs RDWC with Smaller Reservoirs.

I feel as though at strong Veg Cannabis takes up more calcium and Nitrogen maybe they what can be keep up with.

Yes, I do realize factors like air movement and temperature LST and Intense LED's can all have an effect on calcium uptake.

And also Balance between antagonists i.e. Potassium etc...

I have seen some people (cant find them now) say 2-2 Jacks has everything they need etc...

Anyone help me here??? P.S> This is not a reference to Masterblend which I now also have a fresh batch and like it becasus it is designed to not have to mathmatically challenge oneself! Ha ha

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

I have seen some mentions of this and I am intrigued because I almost always seem to have Calcium Issues with my lazy too Many Top Offs RDWC with Smaller Reservoirs.

I feel as though at strong Veg Cannabis takes up more calcium and Nitrogen maybe they what can be keep up with.

Yes, I do realize factors like air movement and temperature LST and Intense LED's can all have an effect on calcium uptake.

And also Balance between antagonists i.e. Potassium etc...

I have seen some people (cant find them now) say 2-2 Jacks has everything they need etc...

Anyone help me here??? P.S> This is not a reference to Masterblend which I now also have a fresh batch and like it becasus it is designed to not have to mathmatically challenge oneself! Ha ha
Are you actually lacking CA ? I believe more often then not it’s more MG. You can use the search bar on here and look up “the recipe” and you will find an amazing thread for Jacks321

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I use equal parts 5/12/26 and calcium nitrate with zero epsom. More than 2grams of each tho.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I use equal parts 5/12/26 and calcium nitrate with zero epsom. More than 2grams of each tho.
Hey that’s what I wanted to hear but what I wanna know is do you grow in Hydro DWC or soil my concern is that that ratio might be fine on a reservoir change but how long can I top off with that exact mixture before I will build up levels too high of calcium or nitrogen and I guess there’s only one way to find out is to experiment I really appreciate you getting back to me with that especially since you’re not the only one that agrees that Jack’s doesn’t necessarily need extra magnesium as a matter fact the full 322 blocked out calcium. For me at some point but that was before I realized The current numbers recipe from Jack’s website it was actually closer to 3.2.75 That’s actually a big difference From 321

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I don't do hydro. I use peat and perlite. Drain to waste. Fresh full strength nutes with each feeding.

Fed 15x a month. I use 4g of each by late veg and don't get leaf issues.

Peat is similar to hydro in terms of nutrients, but hydro people tend to use a lower ppm than I use for peat.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

This supports my idea that the Plants can take more calcium! My next experiement needs two identical plants. One will get the 2-2- the other 3-2-1
I will give them both around 800 Then I will measure 24 hours later. The one that has consumed more PPM total will indeed be the plant that is geting the Nutrient Solution closer to ideal. One of these days in the Spirit of Calcium being KING I am going to get me one of these

I would love to know the progression of Calcium in soultion -- after reservoir change -- and after top off...

for all I know it starts precipitating at the Higher Ph's I run. If it precipitates then I think it would not show up as measured Calcium...

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

P.S. Running Jacks at 2-2- or 2-2-1 would also be equivalent of running Cal/Mag with R.O. water at some degree...

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I don't do hydro. I use peat and perlite. Drain to waste. Fresh full strength nutes with each feeding.

Fed 15x a month. I use 4g of each by late veg and don't get leaf issues.

Peat is similar to hydro in terms of nutrients, but hydro people tend to use a lower ppm than I use for peat.
I forgot to ask you can you please tell me how you came to bust the 2-2 instead of the 3-2-1 ???

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

I think that's more the ratio's he's working with more so than the actual amounts.

He's running equal parts Jack's A and Cal-Nitrate. With the 2-2-1 it's equal parts A/Cal and .5 part Mg Sulfate.

You increase in the same ratio to increase the EC.

I'm likely wrong, but that's what I was getting from that post.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I always use and refer to it as a Ratio although people often think I am referring to it as a Specific Grams thing per gallon. I must not make it clear. Regardless of the Grams per gallon thing i.e. overall TDS PPM e.c. or what have you 2-2 or 3-2-1 is a ratio as well as the grams per gallon.

Currently on Jacks Website it is closer to a 3-2-.75 'ratio". There also seems to be a general mix of people some of whol feel JAcks actually has enough Magnesium without the Epsom.

What I am trying to figure out is how whoever has come to increas their Calcium Nitrate toward a equal 2-2 regardless of Addsing Mg or not...

How and why they came to do it.

Thanks for your time...

P.S. I run RDWC with indersized REservoirs. I realiz ehte great advantage people have running drain to waste.

I would love to have a sliding table set up with a drain to waste set up someday just to finanly not have to think so hard about Reservoir Maintenence!!!

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I forgot to ask you can you please tell me how you came to bust the 2-2 instead of the 3-2-1 ???

I couldn't run 321 in high EC mode (more than 2.0EC or 1000ppm) without running into cal mag issues. There was too much Mg and K competing with Ca.

So I made a spreadsheet that is specific to the dry nutes I use to calculate ppm. Then I did some research regarding nute levels of Mg for various crops. It made it easy to see there is too much Mg in the 321 formula.

Part A has plenty of Mg. Especially when 3g of part A and B are used. If you only use 2g of each for strength reasons, you might need a little epsom. Like 0.5g when the others are 2g.

Jacks 321 formula has too much Mg and not enough Ca for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom