jacks, silica, and pH madness

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dizzlekush

dizzlekush

15ppms silica sounds good to me. I just looked at my nute calc and 2.5ml protek comes out to 50ppms silica. I am going to try .5ml/ gal to start which should get me about 10ppms and then slowly go up from there to maybe 1ml/ gal to see how that goes.

Btw dizzle what pH range do you like for peat? I've been trying to keep it around 5.8-6.1 because the res waters my coco room too but next week I am going to have to get out the 2nd res so I can keep 2 different solutions.
The math you did to get 50 ppm was for SiO2 instead of just Si. Ive made the same mistake myself. Pro-Tekt is 7.8% SiO2, not Si. Im almost positive Pro-Tekt at 2.5ml/gallon is 29ppm Si. So if you want to try ~15ppm then start at 1.25ml/gallon.

I never test my medium pH anymore. It always stayed between 5.5-6.5 (which i consider optimal) so i just got tired of testing it. When i water, i set pH in between 5.5-5.8.

K

kushtrees

You are correct sir! Nice catch thanks.

5.5 is lower than I usually run my res, but I am going to give that a shot. More room for the pH to swing is fine with me.

I looked at my pH down, GH pH down is citric acid, phosphoric acid and mono ammonia phosphate. Maybe ill look for a straight phosphoric acid one when I am done with this bottle.

Thanks again for your help dizzle. Adjusting the solution pH to 5.6 every day for the last few days has helped a lot, hopefully this next batch of nutes will be more stable though.

C

cctt

I looked at my pH down, GH pH down is citric acid, phosphoric acid and mono ammonia phosphate. Maybe ill look for a straight phosphoric acid one when I am done with this bottle.

Advanced's down is just phosphoric. A little bit goes a lot further than GH's, as well. I think it's their only product that you don't have to bend over at the register when you buy.

dizzlekush

dizzlekush

You are correct sir! Nice catch thanks.

5.5 is lower than I usually run my res, but I am going to give that a shot. More room for the pH to swing is fine with me.

Thanks again for your help dizzle. Adjusting the solution pH to 5.6 every day for the last few days has helped a lot, hopefully this next batch of nutes will be more stable though.
NP. Switch out that pH down when you feel like it, the citric acid is definitely part of why you're getting that pH climb. I use Advanced Nutrients pH down as well, like cctt mentioned. Its ~70% phosphoric acid, its much much more potent that GH's pH down and has a better pH stabilizing effect. Its the only product i have that's from a cannabis-specific nutrient company (e.g. AN, GH, Canna, H&G etc.), i bought a gallon years ago and still use the same damn gallon, almost half way through it by now. BTW i use pure powdered potassium carbonate for my pH up, which AN uses as their pH up as well, but there's is diluted down in water instead of being a pure powder, since the Carbonate/Phosphate buffer combination seems to be the most effective combination at buffering pH, as per the claims of Daniel Fernandez, maker of Hydrobuddy:

Chemical Buffers in Hydroponics : What is the Best, Cheapest Buffer
Daniel Fernandez
...In the end, the conclusion seems to be that in a regular hydroponics system where pH increases generally happen towards the upside it is better to use carbonate as a buffering agent than to use citrate or phosphate although phosphate at its regular concentration in hydroponic does provide some buffering against pH moves (without phosphate increases are much more dramatic). For this reason I believe that a phosphate/carbonate buffer seems to be the best choice for most hydroponic growers, taking care to keep the concentrations at levels that do not cause precipitation or phytotoxicity problems.
http://scienceinhydroponics.com/201...oponics-what-is-the-best-cheapest-buffer.html

Both Advanced Nutrients and General Hydroponics formulate their products to take advantage of the phosphate/carbonate buffering effect.

So if i were you, id start off with:
Dropping down to ~5ppm Si to start
Switch to only Phosphoric acid and start pH'ing to 5.5
Add some MAP or DAP to the mix.

That should significantly lessen the issue if not get rid of it. If that doesn't do the trick, drop your pH down to 4.5 with phosphoric acid to get rid of all alkalinity and then raise pH back to ~5.5 with potassium carbonate. This basically wipe out all the 'bad' alkalinity and gives you only 'good' alkalinity while increasing the amount of phosphate/carbonate buffer in your solution. Its an extra step and prolly a pain in the ass, but it will help control pH further if you're still having issues.

Top Bottom