Jacks Vs Hydroponic Research

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Hi all. Finished up a round the other day and was running the nute budget for the next one and came to a realization: 10 different $30-$60 bottles is ridiculous.

I've read through the cheap alternatives thread start to finish as well as the jack's back thread. And came up with a plan:

Run the jacks 3-1.8-1 plus powdered fulvic acid (https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/fulvic-acid/) @ 1/4tsp per gal and enzyme powder () @ 1 tsp/50gal

Plus weekly compost teas derived from alfalfa meal, powdered kelp, and molasses. Perhaps some ewc in there as well.

Looking at the alfalfa for the triacontinol and the kelp for its pgrs.

Maybe caps packs teas as well/instead of this? Or mix the alfalfa and kelp with his tea recipe.

So it's all of the above or hydroponic research veg+bloom hd, size, life, and weekly foliars of push. Plus caps packs roots and foliar.

Cost wise (with the hydroponic research 50% off sample discount) they cost roughly the same initially.

This will be in botanicare aeration mix (coco/perlite 70/30) in 3gal pots on drippers.

I welcome you all to poke holes in this plan and offer any suggestions or share your experiences.

Last edited:
Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Never used jacks, but thought on it before I went with HR HD.
I wanted it as simple as possible and HR is it for me.
While this is my first total run with it I am more than impressed with the simplitude and results.
I don't have the time for all extra additives and daily hand feedings. ( notin wrong with it, just don't have the time)
So My vote is to give HR a call, check out posts, and give HR a go.
Peace

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I am right in the middle of this decision myself.

I will be running Jack's & Ful-Power in my Rockwool setup this round and V+B in another Rockwool room. We shall see..

I haven't done the cost analysis yet, but when purchasing Jack's in bulk I highly doubt V+B could come close.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Veg+bloom.....hands down the best. Used jack for years. But HR is the most legitimate brand on the market for cannabis period. I honestly can't think of a comparison outside of mixing your own.

What is the highest application rate you use with HR?

Newenglander

Newenglander

well depends on your media and type of v+b. I run 500ppm in coir from start to finish. Maybe 550-600. But have never used more. I used 300-400ppm with the dirty start to finish with perfect picture results. I don't use any amendments. Strictly v+b base.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I am right in the middle of this decision myself.

I will be running Jack's & Ful-Power in my Rockwool setup this round and V+B in another Rockwool room. We shall see..

I haven't done the cost analysis yet, but when purchasing Jack's in bulk I highly doubt V+B could come close.

Yeah jacks is still cheaper, but that's because jack's is a cheaper product all around.

The research and effort that goes in to finding quality components in the hydroponic research line justifies the increased cost, especially in a high-dollar crop. Most of the cost is in finding ingredients that are going to keep the plant vigorous and at maximum health - for instance finding the best isomer of fulvic acid to bond to his micronutrient blend.

I don't mind paying an extra 4-600 dollars to water a 100 lb crop, especially if the fertilizer out performs every other one on the market. A nickel per gallon difference is justifiable, at least until the price per lb drops below $1000.

EDIT TO NOTE: When I say "fertilizer" I am NOT talking about hobby nutes that come in bottles. I'm talking about actual agricultural fertilizers and the popular blends/ratios used in farms and greenhouses.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

well depends on your media and type of v+b. I run 500ppm in coir from start to finish. Maybe 550-600. But have never used more. I used 300-400ppm with the dirty start to finish with perfect picture results. I don't use any amendments. Strictly v+b base.

What type of media are you useing???
Thanks....

Newenglander

Newenglander

Indoors I use a mix of half coast of maine compost mixed with 50/50 peat coir mix in 4'x8'x36" beds. I use a gravity fed drip system. I havnt tilled or changed soil in years.

Newenglander

Newenglander

I'm sorry I didn't mean to rep coast of maine, However they are as legit as any company I have come across in my life. They wholesale and test with actual soil tests which you can ask for when getting bulk or even just a batch number. One of the best in the business. Especially on the east coast.

ocgreens

ocgreens

I have been using Jacks for half a year now with great results. I pay $86 for a 25 lb pound bag of jacks and $73 for a 50 lb bag of Calcium Nitrate from customhydronutrients.com. A total of $159 which includes shipping. A 25 lb bag of veg+bloom is $485 including tax.

I've seen a lot of recipes for Jacks and have used a few them and the best results I have seen is by using their recommended amounts written on the bag. I fill my rez to 50 gall and add 185 grams of Jacks and 125 grams of Calcium Nitrate, I do not add anything else. This comes out to 3.7 g/per gal of jacks and 2.5 g/per gal of calcium nitrate. I can give the ppms of N-P-K CA MG and S if anyone wants them. My final E.C is usually 1.6. Another thing I like is i can adjust the ppms of any nutrient very easily by adding more or less of Jacks or Calcium Nitrate. I grow in straight coco and I feed my plants this mix from rooted clone till flush with out any problems.

Attached pics are an Alien Rift mother and Grape Og at day 48 both fed this same mix.

IMG 20160208 233022
IMG 20160209 170328
Newenglander

Newenglander

Ocgreens fantastic plants dosnt get much better than that. You did bring up my main point of switching though. I personally wasn't able too dicerne any big difference between the two nutrients, but my clientele did, I was also running far higher ec with jacks also. But hey again your plants are rocking.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks for all the replies. Made my decision a week ago:
running 321 + sil on a couple veg test rows and various dilutions on some babies, so far so good. Gonna test full strength on a coupla babies tonight and set up the drippers on the biguns. Great looking plants, @ocgreens, by all means post your ppms (if you could specify 500 or 700 scale that'd be great). When you're dealing with a particularly cal hungry cultivar at what increments do you bump up the calnit? Also what ph range are you using? I'm doing 5.5 swinging up to 6.

Appreciate the offer @Smokey503ski , if this all goes to shit I'll for sure take you up on it.

Been running 5 gal test batches to get the hang of things, just finished mixing up a 35 gal and of course today is the day my ec pen decides to take a shit on me...

Last edited:
ocgreens

ocgreens

The PPMs for 3.7 g/per gal and 2.5 g/per gal are 152-51-211-125-62-80 (N-P-K-CA-MG-S) at a .5 scale. I use this for flower. For Veg I increase the Calnit to 3 g/per gall to get 172 ppms of N and 151 ppms of CA. I haven't needed to go above 151 ppms of CA. My ph is usually between 5.8-6.0 but as long as it is somewhere between 5.6 and 6.1 I wont adjust. How much silica do you plan on using? If you use too much you run the risk of locking out MG and CA because your K will be too high.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

that would explain the constant C- I've been experiencing for a couplemonths. Started using 1ml/gal of whatever 8% sil I had laying around for the last week or so (down from 5) and am seeing a turnaround. Also the fact that I've been using a K based ph up (a lot of it) for this botanicare mix I was using, won't need that with the jacks. Thanks, boss.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Ocgreens fantastic plants dosnt get much better than that. You did bring up my main point of switching though. I personally wasn't able too dicerne any big difference between the two nutrients, but my clientele did, I was also running far higher ec with jacks also. But hey again your plants are rocking.

I can second this...jacks (and other raw salt formulas - I've used a few and made my own) made some great bud and I've never had nutrient problems or poor yields with salt, but there is a considerable quality increase, in flavor and aromas, with veg+bloom.

I think what really takes the cake, though, is the quality of extracts when you grow with veg+bloom. The difference there is absolutely noticeable - everything tastes like it's live resin, very very loud.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hi all. Finished up a round the other day and was running the nute budget for the next one and came to a realization: 10 different $30-$60 bottles is ridiculous.
I've read through the cheap alternatives thread start to finish as well as the jack's back thread. And came up with a plan:
Run the jacks 3-1.8-1 plus powdered fulvic acid (https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/fulvic-acid/) @ 1/4tsp per gal and enzyme powder () @ 1 tsp/50gal

Plus weekly compost teas derived from alfalfa meal, powdered kelp, and molasses. Perhaps some ewc in there as well.

Looking at the alfalfa for the triacontinol and the kelp for its pgrs.

Maybe caps packs teas as well/instead of this? Or mix the alfalfa and kelp with his tea recipe.

So it's all of the above or hydroponic research veg+bloom hd, size, life, and weekly foliars of push. Plus caps packs roots and foliar.

Cost wise (with the hydroponic research 50% off sample discount) they cost roughly the same initially.

This will be in botanicare aeration mix (coco/perlite 70/30) in 3gal pots on drippers.

I welcome you all to poke holes in this plan and offer any suggestions or share your experiences.
10? Bro if you're doing Nectar for the Gods its 16 +pH.
Insanity. Used to spend nearly a grand a round.
The results are the best I've ever seen though.

Not familiar with Jacks. HR is a fantastic company though. Can't recommend them enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom